Go 8 Bit Page 7

• Deleted user 2 February 2017 15:46:18
    -HairyArse wrote:
    Tell me they've stopped the painful rotating chair section?
    Stage was cheesy but ok, it was the "funny quips" from Ellie Gibson that puts me off it. That and she's meant to be a profession games journalist yet can't tell the difference in a dragon punch and a fireball and that Fifa hasn't changed from 94-2016 just drivel imo.
  • minky-kong 2 Feb 2017 15:48:20 13,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rewsan wrote:
    Just had an email saying there are still tickets left for next weeks recordings along with expected guests if anyone fancies it:

Mon 6th Feb: Vernon Kay vs Bec Hill 

Tues 7th Feb: Robert Webb vs Gemma Cairney 

Weds 8th Feb: Edith Bowman vs Elis James

Thurs 9th Feb: Jon Richardson vs Ellie Taylor
    Am I out of touch or are some of those guests really scraping the barrel of "celebrities"?
  • Deleted user 2 February 2017 15:51:17
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Rewsan wrote:
    Just had an email saying there are still tickets left for next weeks recordings along with expected guests if anyone fancies it:

Mon 6th Feb: Vernon Kay vs Bec Hill 

Tues 7th Feb: Robert Webb vs Gemma Cairney 

Weds 8th Feb: Edith Bowman vs Elis James

Thurs 9th Feb: Jon Richardson vs Ellie Taylor
    Am I out of touch or are some of those guests really scraping the barrel of "celebrities"?
    Ellie Taylor, Jon, Veron and Edith are the only ones I know, If that's the guy from peep show (Webb) then I know him to?
  • ghostgate2001 2 Feb 2017 16:32:00 637 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know they're scraping the barrel a bit when you Google those "celebrities" and find one of them even has a "notability" challenge disputing whether they're well-known enough to warrant having a page on Wikipedia.

Meanwhile, Wikipedia doesn't begrudge a page to a kind of snout-nosed moth that someone spotted once in Saudi Arabia in 1959.

That kind of thing really lets you know where you stand in the notability stakes.
  • Rewsan 2 Feb 2017 18:02:29 279 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a video game panel show aired on Dave they aren't exactly going to get Tom Cruise. It's pretty much what i'd expect and in line with most other panel shows. Predictably with Dara's involvement there is a lot of crossover with Mock the Week.
  • Pierre2k 3 Feb 2017 00:11:57 1,017 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the last series but I do hate it when the "celebrities" so blatantly don't play games. The excruciating, "my favourite game is Tetris, which I used to play all the time on the toilet as a kid" stories to try and give them some sense of credibility.

I like format, but think I'd rather see it as 2 non-celebrity, genuine games fans facing off. Sure, they wouldn't be comedians, but that's the job of the hosts. To inject humour. A bit more Gamesmaster if you will.
  • twelveways 3 Feb 2017 05:18:29 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    just bring back gamesmaster with a cgi Patrick Moore
  • ghostgate2001 3 Feb 2017 06:27:50 637 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or... just bring back Gamesmaster with Dara Briain as the Gamesmaster?

• boo 16 Mar 2017 22:12:11 13,448 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fyi, this was tweeted recently...

The Go 8 Bit team needs you! Email contactgo8bit@gmail.com with re-enactments of top video game moments - you could feature on the show!
  • boo 26 Apr 2017 11:39:35 13,448 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Off to see a recording of Go 8 bit for the new series tonight. Guests are supposed to be Jamali Maddix and Liza Tarbuck. Should be fun.
  • 2old4disshit 26 Apr 2017 11:55:38 540 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tarbuck? Christ.
  • Blurp 26 Apr 2017 12:05:21 1,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fuck, I'd rather them invite a couple of unknown games writers than these z-list celebs.
  • the_milkybar_kid 26 Apr 2017 12:25:26 6,861 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think they'd have more success by not having the Z-listers on, would also make it more fun having players that know what they're doing.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 26 Apr 2017 12:54:44 926 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They should copy Big Break's format. Have two celebs answering vaguely game related questions, a successful answer wins a positive handicap for their chosen neck beard gladiator to do battle in the arena.

For example if they were playing Madden the gladiator representing the celeb who fails to answer a single question would be forced to play as the Cleveland browns.
  • minky-kong 26 Apr 2017 13:20:58 13,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Liza Tarbuck
    "Are you having a laugh?!"

The audience certainly won't be.
  • boo 26 Apr 2017 22:22:40 13,448 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well that was pretty good fun, actually. Although one team were robbed at the death due to faulty equipment. They both had enormo-machine guns, which were in fact mock enormo-machine guns (whoda thunk it?) with a Wii remote in the barrel, in order to play Area 51.

And one of them just stopped working. 'But we'll carry on, 'cos that's how telly works!'

Schlep out to Elstree aside, an enjoyable way to spend a Wednesday evening. Mind you - one couple had come down from Glasgow for it. Not sure it was that good.
  • 2old4disshit 19 May 2017 13:33:16 540 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    S2 started on Monday.

Galaga, a mobile game, a weird pc(?) game and bricks? Come oooooooonnn....
  • minky-kong 19 May 2017 13:38:07 13,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You forgot the NES Micro Machines. But yeah it was still piss poor.
  • crashVoodoo 19 May 2017 14:33:12 5,763 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone watch the DLC show afterwards?
    Felt a little forced and like they were trying to shove to many tiny features into and ended up being unfunny.
  • ChiefGB 19 May 2017 22:24:41 8,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, not off to a great start this week. After show show wasn't great either but the guest (never seen him b4) was kinda funny which helped.
  • PazJohnMitch 19 May 2017 22:48:48 13,469 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The DLC show was truly awful. Main show was ok.
  • ChiefGB 19 May 2017 23:28:18 8,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually yes, it was awful you're right
  • boo 20 May 2017 00:39:01 13,448 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thought the sound on the DLC bit was terrible, but I quite liked the whole 'cobbled together on a 5 budget' vibe. The guest was Jamali Maddix who was one of the guests on the main show that we saw recorded.

He really likes Fallout 3!
  • mal 20 May 2017 01:22:28 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Main show was basically unchanged from last season, except they got rid of the pointless spinning numbers while the camera panned over the audience while they were 'voting'. There's some new flashing lights built into the set which I enjoyed with my lizard brain, and that mostly set me up for the rest of the show if I'm honest.

Sarah Pascoe is usually value for money, and Richard Osman is probably the funniest non-comedian I can think of right now, but they didn't get much time to really shine here, so they weren't appreciably better than the Tarbucks of the world in this format. And I was disappointed that Micro Machines didn't stand up as a spectator sport - I used to love playing that back in the day.

But the regulars were less annoying than last series somehow, even when Sam threw a strop. The scorings still wrong, but I did enjoy the end game.

I didn't even find the DLC that bad. It has an endearing amateur production feel, although it's a bit disappointing that it has none of the guests from the main show. I enjoyed the chat especially 'who's worse; pro evo fans or nazis'. A worthwhile addition I'd say, if you can spare the time.
  • ChiefGB 20 May 2017 08:19:40 8,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I fucking hated micro machines back in the day!!!! That hatred certainly hasn't subsided over the years in between ;)
  • boo 20 May 2017 08:21:34 13,448 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had a total nostalgiafest when I saw Micro Machines v3! Spent countless hours playing that.

Fire up G-Police, then we can talk about hate.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 May 2017 21:46:31 13,469 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought this weeks DLC shown was a lot better than last weeks. I think it helps that I prefer the guest.
  • ChiefGB 24 May 2017 23:49:20 8,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All that season pass bollocks got old after the first time they rolled it out though
  • RawShark 26 May 2017 10:49:32 296 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think they've listened to viewer feedback and improved things this season. No mugging for the camera every time the stage rotates, thank god.

It's a shame but I don't think Ellie is the Richard Osman the show is hoping for. I'm a big fan of her writing but, and here's the kicker, she's not a comedian. The delivery just isn't there.

But for everyone saying they're digging up z-list celebrities, I doubt you've been watching many other TV comedy panel shows. They're all pretty well known on the comedy / TV presenting circuit. I'd heard of them all, at least. I'm happier to watch their selection than some random flavour of the week idiot from Geordie Shore or TOWIE. Or god forbid some youtube bellends.
  • PazJohnMitch 26 May 2017 11:00:03 13,469 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you think it would be better if Dara and Ellie switched places?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.