Google Pixel Page 11

  • TheSaint 9 Oct 2018 18:07:23 18,140 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Depends what you want it for I guess. I've got the 12.9 pro and despite buying it will the best of intentions it is basically just a massive screen to watch Netfix in bed.
  • eleven63 9 Oct 2018 18:10:57 2,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Have Google been leaking rubbish prototype Pixel 3 XLs so that they can announce a proper one tomorrow?

    Probably not, but: https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1049335342598434817
    That's actually made me mildly interested. There's no way that all the leaks we've seen are fake, but why would Google tweet that if it doesn't actually have something surprising to show? Hmmm....

    Though actually, if the leaks are wrong then I have more work to do than I was expecting, so on second thoughts I don't want surprises.
    So...did it end up looking exactly like the leaks suggested? Seems like it.

    I was out as soon as it gained that notch.
    ^This^ although the notch only appears on the XL version. Can't wait for Samsung to go down this route...
  • Not-a-reviewer 9 Oct 2018 18:41:10 5,412 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Even other android phone manufacturers are making them with far smaller notches than that and with smaller bottom bezels.

    I thought when they started up the new pixel line they were going to be the cutting edge for android but they look a year or two behind. Other than a slightly better camera, OnePlus and Samsung both have better overall offerings for the same or less.
  • Tonka 9 Oct 2018 18:58:52 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They've wisely decided that they can't compete in hardware so they're trying to differentiate through software. All the Pixel phones so far have been "also rans" (if that).

    I don't expect them to ever release a gorgeous phone. On the Chromebook side it's a different story.
  • Not-a-reviewer 9 Oct 2018 19:14:57 5,412 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But they donít differentiate on software.
  • THFourteen 9 Oct 2018 19:38:56 50,198 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Depends what you want it for I guess. I've got the 12.9 pro and despite buying it will the best of intentions it is basically just a massive screen to watch Netfix in bed.
    yeah think i'll pass. Don't need a 12+" tablet

    My chuwi is fucked tho, so no tablet for me at the minute
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2018 19:44:01 87,357 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My NVidia Shield K1 is dying on its arse too. Battery is fucked. At the moment, it does at least last the 1hr 30 max I need it for but it's only a matter of time. It desperately needs a clean install too to try and speed it up but I am lazy.
  • THFourteen 9 Oct 2018 19:49:56 50,198 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    My NVidia Shield K1 is dying on its arse too. Battery is fucked. At the moment, it does at least last the 1hr 30 max I need it for but it's only a matter of time. It desperately needs a clean install too to try and speed it up but I am lazy.
    mi pad 4 looks a decent buy for £120ish if you're after a replacement.

    Major issue i can see like most of these Chinese tablets is no HD Netflix which sucks, but i guess content can always be ahem acquired through other means
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2018 19:55:41 87,357 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll run it into the ground first. Why no HD Netflix?
  • THFourteen 9 Oct 2018 20:02:47 50,198 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I'll run it into the ground first. Why no HD Netflix?
    something to do with something called "Widevine"... from what i understand, google certifies device security as level 1-3

    a lot of these Chinese makes don't pay for the certification, so this one is certified as level 1, which apps like Netflix detect and don't allow HD playback because they are cunts.
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2018 21:52:11 87,357 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, gotcha. Good to know
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 06:06:26 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    But they donít differentiate on software.
    Watch the presentation before posting.
  • Not-a-reviewer 10 Oct 2018 06:08:16 5,412 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Something every consumer is going to do. Anything good in the software thatís different makes it into the main android release a few months later.
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 07:09:10 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What makes you think that? The pixel 2 camera app (the reason why the Pixel 2 still takes the best pictures of any phone) still hasn't made it to any other phone officially. And using it without the same hardware set up is kind of pointless.

    And the camera is the main selling point

    No other phone has pure Android with regular updates.

    Free unlimited high res storage will remain exclusive.

    We'll see about duplex for restaurant booking. I thick Google will keep that as limited as possible.

    Call screening might make the jump though.
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 07:13:46 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    To sum up. Since no other company is offering stock Android and since the phone app will never be released for phones other than the Pixel I thick it's fair to say that there's software differentiation.

    To me, as an Android user, the only reason it's want a Pixel are those two.

    It looks like arse. It's expensive. I can't even buy it in Sweden. Still I want it.

    I don't you'll find anyone willing to buy it for another reason. The camera IS software by the way. Even Apple finally got that message with the XS.

    I'm looking forward to zoom comparisons.
  • Not-a-reviewer 10 Oct 2018 10:55:13 5,412 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Other phones offer stock android, or as close to as youíd notice.

    I didnít think the phone app would be a system seller but each to their own.
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 10:57:53 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Care to list the other phones that offer stock Android?
  • brokenkey 10 Oct 2018 11:11:34 9,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nokia?
  • THFourteen 10 Oct 2018 11:13:31 50,198 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    iPhone?
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 11:20:11 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    But they donít differentiate on software.
    Actually you know hat? Forget about the list of phones that run stock Android. Just back up this claim of yours with any fact at all.
  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2018 11:33:16 75,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The reason the pixel camera software Isn't widely available is, presumably, because it functions in conjunction with the pixels unique camera hardware.

    This is why 'stock or nothing' is a bit of a myth. If you're fully stock, you have nothing unique in your phone so what's the fucking point?
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Oct 2018 11:45:47 3,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    User Tonka: Chinese phones are spying on us all! Steganography is teh sex! Protect your data!
    Also User Tonka: /throws wallet Take it! Take all my monies and my data, I trust you long time Rodger Google!
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 11:56:50 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You misinterpret me. Everyone is spying and I've learned to live with it.

    Rather than buying a Blackphone 2 and signal to every evesdropper in the world thatyou're trying to hide something, just get a phone and practice safe hex.
  • Not-a-reviewer 10 Oct 2018 13:10:14 5,412 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    But they donít differentiate on software.
    Actually you know hat? Forget about the list of phones that run stock Android. Just back up this claim of yours with any fact at all.
    You seem very angry about this but anyway...

    The differences to the general public arenít even known, if they were then Samsungís wouldnít sell as they do, indicating the lack of interest in the Ďbenefitsí of stock android + google changes.

    I said plenty can run stock, some like the OnePlus version of android is stock + minor interface improvements.

    The camera may be good but if people thought that was valuable to them it would sell far more.

    Asking for lists though.
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 13:12:01 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So we agree that they differentiate on software?
  • DJCopa 10 Oct 2018 13:31:23 1,698 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The big plus for me, since moving to 'Google' handsets (Nexus 6P + Pixel2) has just been reliability and battery.

    Been with Android since it's inception, and Pixel 2 is by far the most stable and battery friendly phone I've had.
  • Not-a-reviewer 10 Oct 2018 13:37:20 5,412 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    So we agree that they differentiate on software?
    If it makes you happy.
  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2018 13:46:42 75,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    they have different software because they have different hardware, ffs.
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2018 14:13:14 28,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The point was that their hardware is so bland (the phones at least) as to be a turn off. The camera hardware is not the most advanced on the market. Neither is their gyro (whichs days is used for computing images) or the flash. I'm not even sure if it's two tone.

    I said that they're not competing with hardware but software.

    They don't add a second or even third camera, yet they are market leaders with their last gen phone bc software (which is what they use as a differentiator). They have a massive lead in machine learning AND data sets to train their models on. Makes sense to try and build around that rather than better screens (Samsung dominated) chips (Apple dominated for now) or sex appeal (Apple dominated)
  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2018 14:36:35 75,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And your point isn't particularly valid. The hardware in the pixel is class leading or at least on par with every other flagship, which helps them leverage the software.

    But, yes, the phone does appear to be a side project for them.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.