Divinity: Original Sin 2 Page 6

• PazJohnMitch 9 Dec 2019 11:14:04 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can change the specs of your characters on the ship.
  • Rhaegyr 9 Dec 2019 11:14:53 5,201 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Gregolution

You can respec all your points fairly easily in this game - what Act are you on?
  • Gregolution 9 Dec 2019 14:25:47 10,134 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good point. I just feel like it's been so long I can't remember any of the story either!

Don't even know which act lol. I was loving the game, but had started it too soon after finishing Divinity OS 1 I think.
  • Red_Bool 7 Jan 2020 10:24:16 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been playing this on Switch since Christmas and my god is this good!
    Yesterday I finally beat the Alexandar fight! (well, actually there's two Magisters left, but I'll finish them this evening)

And yes, I still haven't left the island. When I said it's good it does not mean I'm good at it ;)

The only thing I should stop doing is looking in guides. On the one hand it really helped me understand the game and it's mechanics better, but on the other hand it did spoil a couple of things.
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2020 10:40:06 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One thing I realised I was doing wrong in the combat initially* was not focusing on magic or physical armour.

The combat is far easier if you identify which enemies are weak to magic and which are weak to physical attacks and then plan accordingly.

Alongside this it took me about the same amount of time to realise that some powers only work properly after breaking either the magic or physical defences.

*For about 40-50 hours.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Jan 2020 13:19:55 24,398 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's... quite a long time to not realise that! Didn't you see the "blocked by physical/magic armour" thing on some spells?
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2020 13:25:33 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah but I initially thought it was a chance to be blocked not a binary will work with no armour, will not work if there is any armour.

And yes I did feel like a fucking idiot when I realised.
  • Red_Bool 7 Jan 2020 14:23:23 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Before I started I found a good clip on Youtube that explained the combat system, so I knew the mechanics. However it still took me some time to really make use of it, because there's so much to take into account like positioning, poison/fire/water, enemies being too powerful, panic ;)
  • docrob 14 Apr 2020 21:45:31 1,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got to Act 2 in this when it first came out, but I stopped playing for some reason. Not sure what. Decided to go back yesterday, but had no idea what was going on in my saved game, so decided to re-roll. So now I am the demon-infested Lhose woman.

Much as I loved the first game, and this one too, I am concerned that I keep seeing that there is a ‘right’ and a ‘wrong’ way to play it. Is this really the case in practice? I struggle enough with the idea of who I should put in my party.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 15 Apr 2020 14:52:51 9,609 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    I got to Act 2 in this when it first came out, but I stopped playing for some reason. Not sure what. Decided to go back yesterday, but had no idea what was going on in my saved game, so decided to re-roll. So now I am the demon-infested Lhose woman.

Much as I loved the first game, and this one too, I am concerned that I keep seeing that there is a ‘right’ and a ‘wrong’ way to play it. Is this really the case in practice? I struggle enough with the idea of who I should put in my party.
    I didn't play it any differently than I usually play these kinds of things. I just picked who I liked and kept a varied party. It went OK.

I had Ifan as a fighter, Fane as a wizard, Beast as a cleric and Sebille as a rogue.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 14:54:59 15-04-2020
  • Red_Bool 1 Sep 2020 09:03:48 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quoting Mola from the "What are you currently playing" thread, about a particularly "challenging" fight the Blackpits in Act II:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It was the dumb-as-fuck NPC that kept ruining it for me. I kept using precious actions to teleport him out of danger, only for him to run RIGHT BACK IN. Constantly getting into fights that he couldn't possibly win, while I have to deal with literally everything on fire, while I am also on fire.

JUST. FUCKING. STAY. PUT. FOR FUCKS SAKES

/drinks
    Guess where I am now. Argh! I thought I was doing pretty well (fire everywhere, but somehow I could keep my team alive pretty easily), but I forgot to check how the NPC was doing... and then I accidentally killed him myself :( (his magic armor was gone).
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2020 09:13:24 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That fight was an absolute nightmare.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2020 09:26:44 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I need to return to this again. I am on the penultimate island I think.

I did push it to the front of my Switch list though to try and convince myself to play it.
  • Red_Bool 1 Sep 2020 10:00:32 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been playing this on-and-off since the beginning of this year. At times I would hit a difficulty spike and just leave it and come back after some weeks. But right now I'm quite hooked again.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2020 10:11:45 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was not a difficulty spike. It was more just general fatigue on receiving an overload of new quests after arriving at a new location.

After well over 100 hours of play and completing an enormous location I had pretty much had my fill of the game, despite it being great.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Sep 2020 10:13:18 24,398 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Quoting Mola from the "What are you currently playing" thread, about a particularly "challenging" fight the Blackpits in Act II:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It was the dumb-as-fuck NPC that kept ruining it for me. I kept using precious actions to teleport him out of danger, only for him to run RIGHT BACK IN. Constantly getting into fights that he couldn't possibly win, while I have to deal with literally everything on fire, while I am also on fire.

JUST. FUCKING. STAY. PUT. FOR FUCKS SAKES

/drinks
    Guess where I am now. Argh! I thought I was doing pretty well (fire everywhere, but somehow I could keep my team alive pretty easily), but I forgot to check how the NPC was doing... and then I accidentally killed him myself :( (his magic armor was gone).
    Glol yes, I can feel your pain.

The stupid thing is, you don't even really have to keep the NPC alive. He's not critical to the story or anything. But *I* had to, because stubbornness.

And I did it! It was really, really, really annoying, but I did it. I hope he's happy, the suicidal bastard.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2020 10:15:44 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think the first time I won the fight the fucker ran into the fire and killed himself as I healed up my team.
  • Red_Bool 1 Sep 2020 10:40:21 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Think the first time I won the fight the fucker ran into the fire and killed himself as I healed up my team.
    :( If that would happen then I don't think I would bother again!
    (especially now that I know that you don't really need to keep him alive - I would try to, but there are limits to my patience)
  • Red_Bool 2 Sep 2020 07:38:57 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So.... An unexpected turn of events:
    Second attempt at that fight and I thought "let's see if I can get rid of some of those magisters first".

So I walk around the platform and teleport one of them off it and near me on the ground. The fight starts, the NPC frees himself and then...

All the magisters ignore him and focus on my party. The NPC also does not join the fight and stays put. Also, the oil voidlings do not spawn. So the fight becomes dead-easy and the NPC lives \o/

I checked a guide afterwards to see if this was a glitch and it wasn't. I need some source points to see if I can trigger the voidlings later myself (the NPC actually triggers them if you take the regular approach), because I need all the EXP I can get.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Sep 2020 08:48:25 24,398 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish I'd tried that :(
  • Dazimus 2 Sep 2020 10:36:14 1,365 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I should give this another go. I really enjoyed the very beginning but got absolutely destroyed in my first fight with I think it was just one or two people on the island. Didn’t have a clue what I was doing and got confused, switching it off and not been on it since release on the Switch.
  • FoxMoody 2 Sep 2020 10:37:12 79 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Planning playing again at some point, got discouraged by challenging fights on normal difficutly.
  • Red_Bool 9 Sep 2020 08:31:46 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I ran into another difficulty spike in the Blackpits mines (The Eternal Aetera fight). I was more or less breezing my way through the mines until then, so this one felt unfair (but in hindsight I should have been more careful opening ominous sarcophagus(-es?)). I had a couple of tries but my party got decimated in like two turns. Took to the web for guidance; turns out this fight is a real bitch.

Yesterday I was very, very close to just lowering the difficulty for this fight.
    But then in my final attempt (with some creative use of oil barrels and teleporting pyramids) I beat it with one character still (barely) standing! \o/ He would not have lasted another turn, it was an awesome skin-of-your-teeth victory :)

Time to get some more resurrection scrolls now...
  • FoxMoody 9 Sep 2020 08:53:55 79 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    That's the biggest flaw I find in Divinity 2. Those damn difficulty spikes.
    It's like I'm doing good, everyone is strong and stronger/on par with current combat difficulty.
    And then suddenly it spikes and I'm stuck for hours.
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Sep 2020 08:59:37 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Blackpit fight is definitely one I died on (I died everywhere) but it does not stick out like the fire.

I suspect it is one which can go south quickly but can also be fairly easy with a bit of luck.

Or maybe I was over levelled. I did go to the black pits later than I probably should have.
  • Red_Bool 9 Sep 2020 09:10:13 2,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The Blackpit fight is definitely one I died on (I died everywhere) but it does not stick out like the fire.

I suspect it is one which can go south quickly but can also be fairly easy with a bit of luck.

Or maybe I was over levelled. I did go to the black pits later than I probably should have.
    I was level 13 and that fight had level 14 enemies. The 'boss' in that fight summons two familiars right at the start and can also deal damage in the same turn. Then the two summons get a turn and then if you're lucky you still have a team. That felt quite unfair to me ;)

By the way, I also regularly have a team member die one me. I compensate for this by stocking up on resurrection scrolls :)
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2020 08:22:48 10,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just started playing this on pc... getting destroyed by everyone in fort joy atm 😰
  • Frogofdoom 13 Sep 2020 08:36:24 16,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Read a newbie guide Grax, it might help you a bit. Im pretty sure you won't struggle with it after getting over the initial bump.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Sep 2020 09:45:58 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also at the start you really need to explore and do as many side quests as you can before engaging in fights.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2020 10:00:54 10,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks, yeah I have read some beginner guides and I have an ok understanding. I just have to get out of the mindset of antagonising everyone I come across to the point I start a fight.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.