Registered 11 years ago
    No Man's Sky
  • Phattso 22 Nov 2016 11:44:32 24,823 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Thanks all - plenty to mull over there.
    Cheers!
    Mull over? MULL OVER?! THE HIVEMIND HAS SPOKEN! Get purchasing ALL of the suggestions, and we'll expect hourly updates.
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2016 12:40:43 12,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    If you're into RPG and adventuring then really Witcher 3 is the one to get, and the graphics and scale will blow your last gen little mind.
    This.

And MGS5, GTA5 and Doom, for starters. Ignore stuff like The Order, that's just people thinking you're after PlayStation exclusives.
    I thought he meant exclusives...

If not then:
    The Order
    Dying Light
    DOOOOOOOM
    Bloodborne
    Dark Souls 2: SotFS
    Dark Souls 3
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (and The Old Blood)
    The Division
    Destiny
    The Order
    Shadow Warrior
    Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
    Driveclub
    Resogun
    Until Dawn
    Outlast
    Alien Isolation
    Layers of Fear
    The Order
  • Derblington 22 Nov 2016 12:42:15 31,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They're your Must Haves?
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2016 13:06:52 12,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yup. All of them, hence my putting them on the list. I genuinely rate each one very highly. I think in fact that there have been a hell of a lot of really good games out over the last few years and could probably add more to that list.

I am very easy to please though. I'm basically the antithesis of user FuzzyDucky.
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2016 13:11:29 12,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bloody hell I forgot Soma.
  • Doomspoon 22 Nov 2016 13:20:54 2,986 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definitely Bloodborne, has a bit of a learning curve but as someone that struggled on separate playthroughs of Dark Souls, I was able to finish Bloodborne without too much hassle except real issues with Rom.

As someone who likes racing games but isn't particularly good at them I'd not recommend Driveclub, I'll probably get some flak for this but I found it to be really hard work. It's unforgiving, the AI cars are cretins and I found the steering offered two options; 1) drive straight onwards into a barrier 2) face 90 degrees perpendicular to your current direction of travel and zigzag along the road into a barrier. Don't want to get punished for crashing into an AI car in front of you? Apply more brake and have the ones behind you shunt you straight into the one in front anyway. It looks gorgeous though.
  • Cappy 22 Nov 2016 13:27:04 14,109 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has opinion on The Order shifted?

Last year it was a family size bucket of extra crispy, finger licking good turd, does the presumably lower price point this year make a difference?
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Nov 2016 13:52:50 32,585 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't waste your money on The Order. It's about 4 hours long (which tbf given its price now isn't a big deal) but it's a very average game imo. Doesn't even look anything special nowadays.

Honestly I promptly forgot it as soon as I was done. Rent it if you must.
  • Derblington 22 Nov 2016 13:56:01 31,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Yup. All of them, hence my putting them on the list. I genuinely rate each one very highly. I think in fact that there have been a hell of a lot of really good games out over the last few years and could probably add more to that list.

I am very easy to please though. I'm basically the antithesis of user FuzzyDucky.
    Fair enough. I tend to enjoy a lot of average titles too and I'd agree that there's been a lot worth playing for the enthusiast.
    There are a lot on your list that I would certainly recommend to people looking for something interesting/entertaining to play, like Dying Light, but I wouldn't rate it a Must Play. I'd reserve that for the genuinely stand out titles.

Different strokes.
  • oldskooldeano 22 Nov 2016 13:58:56 2,967 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Resogun - The spiritual successor to Defender and I know you're old enough to know what that entails.
    Until Dawn - Kind of unique and a game you can play socially in a group too.
    Bloodborne - Probably the only AAA PS4 exclusive you must play.
  • chrisp 22 Nov 2016 13:58:57 1,154 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For what it's worth, I really enjoyed The Order, but went in with low expectations. It is about 50% cut scenes and 50% game, though. If you find the shooting sections in Uncharted annoying, and don't like the idea of hours of cutscenes, then best to skip.
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2016 14:23:13 12,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Derblington I'm a bit of a techland fan though so that's why i probably rate it higher than most!
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2016 14:30:13 12,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actually, fuck it.

Bloodborne.

That's it.

It was the whole reason I bought a PS4 in the first place and I have absolutely no regrets. It's worth a new console for in itself.
  • Derblington 22 Nov 2016 14:34:21 31,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I thought Bloodborne was excellent, and it was my first Souls. I wouldn't recommend it though, unless you specifically know beforehand that the player is open to it.
  • Doomspoon 22 Nov 2016 14:45:24 2,986 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Resogun - The spiritual successor to Defender and I know you're old enough to know what that entails.
    Sure it's niche but how bloody fantastic is that game? I love it.
  • Syrette 22 Nov 2016 15:02:09 50,306 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I thought Bloodborne was excellent, and it was my first Souls. I wouldn't recommend it though, unless you specifically know beforehand that the player is open to it.
    +1

It's an acquired taste, and certainly not for everyone.

If you like the Souls games though, then I can imagine it's essential.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2016 15:17:39
    Hotline Miami, TLOU, Rocketleague.
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2016 15:25:48 12,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    See, I really didn't like TLOU at all. I think I got up to a boss fight in a school gym and realised I couldn't be bothered with it. Yet others rave about it. maybe it was the way I was feeling at the time. Maybe I couldn't play another game where the protagonist had a beard, as at the time, everyone I knew including me had a beard. I felt I was drowning in facial hair*.

*That may not have been the reason but I can't discount it.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2016 15:34:23
    TLOU is the most overrated game I've ever played. Good story but average dull gameplay.
  • monkman76 22 Nov 2016 15:38:23 14,928 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TLOU isn't the greatest game ever, but it has a fantastic story (in videogame terms at least), with an incredible sense of place, some of the best voice acting in games, and pretty damn great gameplay too. And I don't care a hoot about Uncharted.
  • the_milkybar_kid 22 Nov 2016 15:38:59 8,035 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz I gave it away in the donation thread. I'm sure if he asked nicely enough it might resurface somewhere again. I wouldn't pay anything over a tenner for it but I'd disagree, it's still one of the best looking games on the system, simply because the games only got to render corridors.
  • Gregolution 22 Nov 2016 15:43:39 9,485 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    TLOU is the most overrated game I've ever played. Good story but average dull gameplay.
    Having just played the DLC on Survivor difficulty, I realised that's how the game should be played. On normal, it's a bit boring I agree. On survivor with less materials and way less ammo the gameplay really comes into its own.

Just about to start a third playthrough of the main game on survivor :D
  • HitchHiker 22 Nov 2016 15:58:44 2,891 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Can't recommend The Witcher 3 enough, there's a GOTY edition available too. Absolutely loved it, although it took a couple of hours for it to get it hooks in to me. The whole theme and setting is just brilliant. No other PS4 has grabbed me as much.
  • Cappy 22 Nov 2016 16:00:24 14,109 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    Having just played the DLC on Survivor difficulty, I realised that's how the game should be played. On normal, it's a bit boring I agree. On survivor with less materials and way less ammo the gameplay really comes into its own.

Just about to start a third playthrough of the main game on survivor :D
    That's hardly surprising, the Uncharted games are also far less interesting from a gameplay perspective at easy and normal difficulty.

At normal and below enemies seem to get neutered in Naughty Dog games.

Edited by Cappy at 16:01:36 22-11-2016
  • boo 22 Nov 2016 19:06:57 13,525 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Until Dawn is Point and Click you say?
    /purchasesarizes immediately

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.