PS4 must haves Page 3

Next Last
  • voden 22 Nov 2016 19:53:33 747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The gameplay is this the best bit imo. At least in the remaster the aiming is so smooth and the feedback is brilliant. Very satisfying.
  • PierrePressure 22 Nov 2016 20:40:09 947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just bought Alienation and I think it's brilliant, loving Housemarque's PS4 efforts so far.
  • Daeltaja 22 Nov 2016 20:45:55 1,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grabbed Dying Light for 14 quid from Base, based on recommendations.
  • Shivoa 22 Nov 2016 20:51:17 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    One that a lot of people didn't love but I think is the secret best launch title we've had in ages - Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Played on Hard (which is actually not that hard so maybe pro shooter fans will not get enough challenge out of it) with the no-deaths trophy constraint (so you have to perfect each arena encounter design or revert back to the last save), I'd say this is HL2 level design variety with F.E.A.R. combat arena design. Anyway, I wrote an essay detailing my thoughts so no point rewriting it: http://blog.shivoa.net/2014/11/pile-of-shame-killzone-shadow-fall.html

It's available for pennies in a used bin near you and really is something almost everyone missed but has clear roots back to PC FPS design.
  • DangerousDave_87 22 Nov 2016 21:36:09 6,329 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The controls in the original Uncharted are awful. In fact, minus the story/presentation, most of the game is awful. The spamming of enemies to pad out the games length was amazing. Such lazy design.

They did massively improve things with the second game, but the design is still bog standard at best. Flashy, but unimaginative.
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2016 21:38:15 12,669 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Daeltaja hope you like it. I genuinely love it. Zombies, parkour, synthy soundtrack, cheesy dialogue... it's frigging brilliant.
  • boo 28 Nov 2016 12:03:44 13,525 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So far, the only stuff I'm definitely picking up is:

The Last Guardian
    Heavy Rain / Beyond double pack (wanted to play these on PS3 but never got round to it)
    DriveClub

Everything else seems quite... fighty.

Incidentally, what's the best way to go if I wanted some Lara action?
    Tomb Raider
    or
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shivoa 28 Nov 2016 12:24:15 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rise has far more raiding tombs, more developed mechanics in general, but also very little depth to the characters or development of the setting. Tomb Raider 2013 should also be available for very cheap and it's best to play them in order anyway (to learn the systems of the reboot series as something far closer to a Metroidvania tLoU than Uncharted and to see the character introductions).
  • Derblington 28 Nov 2016 13:02:13 31,908 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really don't understand folks who don't get on with Uncharted but think the new Tomb Raider is great.
  • Cappy 28 Nov 2016 13:03:52 14,109 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cognitive dissonance.
  • boo 28 Nov 2016 14:20:42 13,525 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ok - 2013 TR it is.

Also (and sorry for the constant questions), dive straight in with Uncharted 4, or pick up the 1/2/3 combo and play that first? I've not played any of them. In fact, thinking about it, despite having a dozen or so games for the PS3, I don't think I've ever actually played anything on it.

Mind you - my Xbox 360 has never been out of the box.

Shit! I'm getting old!

/buys PS4 / Xbox 1 S / Wii U in desperate attempt to pretend he's still 27
  • Derblington 28 Nov 2016 23:36:10 31,908 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @boo

You can just jump in at 4 but I would play all of them, personally. 1 has aged the worst, 2 is still fantastic, 3 falters in copying too much of 2 but it still has some amazing set-piece moments and 4 just really makes everything work better and looks phenomenal.

The real benefit of playing them in order is understanding the characters and relationships throughout the saga. That's where it really pays off, imo.

And play The Last of Us too.

I'd also recommend doing them all before TR. TR is ok but I don't rate it as highly as everyone else. It essentially threw out the TR formula that everyone wanted and copied Uncharted wholesale. It still has some good stuff but it's an imitation. I've not played the sequel yet though.

Edited by Derblington at 07:20:09 29-11-2016
  • ChocNut 28 Nov 2016 23:52:18 2,465 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ChocNut 28 Nov 2016 23:53:17 2,465 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shivoa wrote:
    One that a lot of people didn't love but I think is the secret best launch title we've had in ages - Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Played on Hard (which is actually not that hard so maybe pro shooter fans will not get enough challenge out of it) with the no-deaths trophy constraint (so you have to perfect each arena encounter design or revert back to the last save), I'd say this is HL2 level design variety with F.E.A.R. combat arena design. Anyway, I wrote an essay detailing my thoughts so no point rewriting it: http://blog.shivoa.net/2014/11/pile-of-shame-killzone-shadow-fall.html

It's available for pennies in a used bin near you and really is something almost everyone missed but has clear roots back to PC FPS design.
    Yup, brilliant game
  • boo 29 Nov 2016 09:07:13 13,525 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cheers Derbs. I'll pick the Uncharted collection up. Stuck the BioShock collwection on there too, as I've never played them either.

I keep looking at The Last Of Us, and I get an overwhelming sense of 'survival horror in a pretty frock'. And that's just not my bag at all.
  • IamAziz123 30 Oct 2018 16:07:42 2 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    yes the gta 5 is for starters. people these days looking for gta 5 cheats ps4 money.com
  • Phattso 30 Oct 2018 16:58:57 24,823 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IamAziz123 wrote:
    yes the gta 5 is for starters. people these days looking for red hot bumsex drop me a PM
    Are you Aziz from The Fifth Element? If so.... LIGHT!

Thank you, Aziz.
  • Theshape80 14 Nov 2018 16:38:37 187 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Has anyone given the forest ago? Itís been on PC for a while but itís now out on PS4. Sounds right up my street and terrifying.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.