Following The Last of Us - Part II Page 65

• Bichii 3 Dec 2020 18:30:11 4,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gregolution all about the upcoming mp mode. ;)
  • Bichii 3 Dec 2020 20:20:31 4,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The huge difference between 1 and 2 for me is whilst I loved 2 when I was playing it once it was done I barely thought about it. The original for me was such a classic long after it was done I still cared about it. Even on subsequent playthrough it hits me so hard, especially at the end of each season. 2 might be game or the year but overall, especially when against 1 is meh.
  • Gregolution 3 Dec 2020 23:58:57 11,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    @Gregolution all about the upcoming mp mode. ;)
    Yeah! Fucking LOVED it. Good times
  • Big-Swiss 4 Dec 2020 08:38:49 9,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I played the remake of TLOU1 after finishing 2 the second time.

of course 2 is more polished and everything. I also enjoyed the more wide combat because you have 2 characters with different perks.

I also enjoyed the more varied enemies.

But I agree, the first one is so much better regarding story and pace and lenght. Hardly anything can compete with that story and the way it is told. Maybe God of war 4 is a bit similar, the way you bond over time with your son has a touch of TLOU the way Joel and Elie bond together over time. It does keep you thinking about it after the credits roll. I think 2 did a bit as will, but not with the same impact.
  • LFace 4 Dec 2020 11:43:51 190 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Sony put a new trailer up for Abby on YouTube other day out of the blue. Pretty spoiler heavy if you hadn't finished the game yet (thankfully I have) but it seemed weird to put one on there now. I thought it was about to drop an announcement about ps5 upgrades and features but nope. Just a character trailer.
  • AceGrace 4 Dec 2020 12:49:17 3,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought that was odd. I thought it was a trailer for DLC.

I have barely started the game so I will start at Christmas on the PS5.
  • spookyxelectric 4 Dec 2020 16:00:06 593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    To be honest, I kind of didn't think the first game's story was anything special, but this one is a lot more effective at eliciting the emotions it's trying to elicit, IMO.

I still think the pacing could be quickened a bit, but I'm finding it hard to put down.
  • spookyxelectric 5 Dec 2020 06:01:43 593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well, I just went and finished it. 👀

What a game! I don't have much else to say. One of the best experiences I've had gaming. Now I have to play something ridiculous like the Yakuza: Like A Dragon, because my yearly ration of emotion is spent.
  • Tomo 5 Dec 2020 09:25:14 19,523 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tick. Valid opinion.
  • IronGiant 5 Dec 2020 13:17:08 6,335 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    So much could have been cut. I quite often see the hospital section get pointed to, but for me it's more unfortunately placed. In isolation, it's one of the best sections of the game but it comes at a point where there's already been so much travelling back and forth you just want the game to get on with it and get to the point. It was such weird section to actually play in that respect, I could see it was one of the most well done sections but my fatigue was so high by that point it was tough to fully enjoy.
    To be honest I donít get/see the fatigue, maybe if Iíd played it solidly over a few days but playing it in smaller bursts over a longer period of time (no choice due to circumstances) I canít get enough of it. Iím about 37 hours in and at The Island which I think is fairly near the end.
  • SolidSCB 5 Dec 2020 16:59:35 16,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Took me a good couple of weeks to finish. I had to keep leaving it for a few days to get my enthusiasm back. There are a good few long, meandering traversal sections through identical grey cityscapes the game could have been better off without.

Playing stuff like Miles Morales has been such an eye opener. I think I'd love a Lost Legacy style game in this universe.
  • spookyxelectric 5 Dec 2020 17:16:54 593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I agree. I think it's meant to be reflective of Ellie's exhaustion by the time she gets to the game's climax, but intentional or not, it's still tiring on the player. Also agree about the identical grey cityscapes bit. If not for the extremely rare glances at the pier and Space Needle, this game could have been set in any of the random samey locations from the first game. Throughout the game, while the writing and performances were television quality, the game design felt incredibly PS3 to me. Which simultaneously felt nostalgic, as well as made me hope Naughty Dog tries exploring new game design techniques for their first PS5 game.

Having said that, the second half of the game is paced much better IMO.
  • SolidSCB 5 Dec 2020 17:40:19 16,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    California was so underused in that respect, it looked brilliant.
  • Brundle 7 Dec 2020 11:20:50 2 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Has anyone voted for this in the Game Awards? I believe we have until today to get the votes in.

Also, has any DLC been confirmed?
  • Tuffty 7 Dec 2020 12:36:52 4,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Playing stuff like Miles Morales has been such an eye opener. I think I'd love a Lost Legacy style game in this universe.
    You would need to do some reworking of the story but I would feel better about TLOU2 if it was just Abby's story. You cut out 15 odd hrs of the game out and I would get the sequel I would have wanted from the get go, where you don't make Joel and Ellie the primary characters and just follow a new crew.

Abby's story still has issues though. Fact is, Miles Morales elicited more emotions out of.me in 8 hrs than TLOU2 did in 35.
  • General_Martok 12 Jan 2021 16:27:41 2,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Something about this pandemic is really putting me off playing this.

I play it for a bit then It just feels like too much. Like I don't want to play in a world like the games. It's a little to close to reality for comfort.

I started off playing it fine back in June but I just can't get back into it. :(
  • richardiox 12 Jan 2021 16:40:16 10,049 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @General_Martok

Same here, had to put it down back in April as it was too depressing for my state of mind at the time. Played Mario Odyssey with my kid instead!
  • ozthegweat 12 Jan 2021 16:42:02 2,968 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If it makes you feel better, Cordyceps (the culprit in TLOU) is a fungus and alive, compared to the corona virus.
  • General_Martok 12 Jan 2021 16:42:07 2,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @richardiox I'm playing Tetris effect instead :)
  • spookyxelectric 12 Jan 2021 16:48:21 593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tetris Effect is fantastic. I bought that and the rest of the Mizuguchi titles (Rez, Lumines) on the current sale.

When I marathoned this a month or two ago, I had trouble putting it down, but I can still relate to it feeling too real for the current times. I had a similar reaction when I tried to play Vampyr right around the time covid-19 first hit. It's a but more fantastical and it's set in the Victorian era, but arriving at that hospital for the first time and seeing all patients ill from the Spanish flu was a bit much.
  • Daeltaja 12 Jan 2021 16:49:07 2,060 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I might revisit this when a PS5 update comes, but it's more the amount of padding putting me off to be honest. It definitely dragged out and isn't as tightly spun as the first (though that had some pacing issues, too). Maybe in a few years...
  • Zerobob 12 Jan 2021 17:06:13 3,007 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:

I play it for a bit then It just feels like too much. Like I don't want to play in a world like the games. It's a little to close to reality for comfort.

I started off playing it fine back in June but I just can't get back into it. :(
    I keep hearing people talk like this.

What do you see when you look out your window... bins on fire and thugs wielding barbed wire-wrapped baseball bats?!
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 17:10:49 27,302 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No, that would be ridiculous. If the bins were on fire, how would we hide in them from the Zombies? THINK ABOUT IT, MORAN!
  • General_Martok 12 Jan 2021 17:21:00 2,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:

I keep hearing people talk like this.

What do you see when you look out your window... bins on fire and thugs wielding barbed wire-wrapped baseball bats?!
    It's not what's happening now it's what the world will look like in an increasingly likely future. Even if that increase in likelihood is tiny from a tiny start.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just an a closest Emo and this game has triggered me 😝
  • Your-Mother 11 Feb 2021 04:08:20 8,011 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After some speculation over casting that had neckbeards all flustered, Pedro Pascal (Mandalorian) has been cast as Joel and Bella Ramsay from GoT as Ellie for the HBO miniseries.
  • richarddavies 11 Feb 2021 06:58:13 8,291 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I just read. I'm happy with Pedro.
    HE'S SO HOT RIGHT NOW!
  • Nanocrystal 11 Feb 2021 07:05:47 2,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was it due to his prior experience in having his head smashed in?
  • Decks 11 Feb 2021 07:18:55 30,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wish it had been Leslie Jones. For both roles.
  • richarddavies 11 Feb 2021 07:24:08 8,291 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    She's also going to play Baby Yoda in the next series of mando.
  • Jono62 11 Feb 2021 08:39:02 27,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Be weird to see Joel with a helmet on.

Edited by Jono62 at 08:39:15 11-02-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.