Inside No. 9 Page 3

• twelveways 11 Mar 2017 15:09:25 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not seen the latest one yet but there's no way Christmas should be number four. Honestly one of the best things I've seen all year, including movies
  • cowell 20 Mar 2017 11:29:39 1,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How great was the latest shoe-based episode?!?

Amazing!
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Mar 2017 11:45:21 24,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @cowell
    I enjoyed it, but I think overall while still good the series as a whole is the weakest yet.

I think they should do one about Mau Mau ;)
  • mal 20 Mar 2017 15:35:58 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The first two eps were absolute belters. The karaoke one's twists didn't seem mind-blowing in the same way, but I enjoyed the characters at least, and it was quite funny. The least said about the shoe one the better really - I'm not sure I even care enough to work out its twists.
  • twelveways 20 Mar 2017 17:26:45 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wow. That was some dark stuff
  • Stoatboy 20 Mar 2017 21:05:40 116 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you're into cryptic crosswords it's hard not to rate The Sphinx as one of the very best, because the crossword in it was published in the Guardian on the day it was broadcast (attributed to a new setter called Sphinx). There was a mention at the top of the crossword that you might want to check out Inside No. 9 later, but no indication of how deep the link was.

I was expecting maybe a few cross-references perhaps - some of the clues to have additional meaning etc. For the whole crossword to be used was amazing (one clue was changed for publishing, but other than that it was identical). So I was watching it grinning from ear to ear, because all the exposition was revisiting clues I'd already solved earlier that day.

And the reveal of the messages hidden in the grid - "I swapped cups" and "RIP NHS" was the icing on the cake (these hidden words are known as Ninas in crosswording circles - hence the female lead's name). Because the only Nina any crossworder had found up to that point was "ONE LEPUS" written down the middle of the grid ("lepus" being the name of the genus "hare", so there was a hare hidden in the crossword as well as the episode).

It really was very good indeed.
  • cowell 28 Mar 2017 11:45:27 1,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's pretty deep. I respect it but considering how modest the audience for the show is reported to be, I suspect you're in a fairly exclusive club of people that made the connection
  • ChiefGB 28 Mar 2017 15:23:38 11,063 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quality seemed to drop a bit over the last couple. In fairness that last one was good but the penultimate scene was maybe cut too soon, or the last scene wasn't strong enough. It could have ended better basically.
  • Stoatboy 28 Mar 2017 18:57:24 116 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @cowell True. It's one of those rare moments where two things I love come together and both are done really well (crosswords are usually done really badly in TV and film - really basic errors that stick out like a sore thumb to anyone who does them).

Just a heads-up though - tonight they're showing a repeat of The 12 Days Of Christine from series 2 - perhaps the very best of the lot.
  • LittleSparra 28 Mar 2017 19:11:56 7,926 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love this series. They don't always fly brilliantly, but they rarely crash and when they soar, as in the crossword one, they are hideously fun.

I liked the shoe one.

Edited by LittleSparra at 19:12:20 28-03-2017
  • mal 28 Mar 2017 20:36:12 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I enjoyed the last episode. I'm not sure why I didn't like the shoe one so much. This one felt like a standard Dahl-ish murder mystery, and I predicted the killer just in time, then the final twist felt fine to me - just reveal the twist, there's no need to gloat. The shoe one was sufficiently twisty, I'd just lost interest in by the end. Could be just the actors involved, I'll automatically enjoy almost anything with Morgana Robinson in, but Keeley Hawes, not so much. I guess, also I understood Shearsmith's character a bit better in this, a bookish older gent, while in the shoe one his chief feature was middle class conceit.

I even enjoyed the karaoke club one on my second watch through. The reveal was a little weak, but I enjoyed the characters and the script. The bill with Phillip Glenister had fun characters too. And the crossword one in all respects was glorious!

I think my list has to be:
    The Sphinx (the crossword one)
    The Bill
    Private View
    Empty Orchestra (the karaoke one)
    Devil at Christmas
    Diddle Diddle Dumpling - apparently (the shoe one)

Four out of six that I really enjoyed ain't bad odds.

I don't actually remember the 12 days of Christine all that well, but reading up on it has certainly whetted my whistle.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Mar 2017 10:27:15 24,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I thought we would get a new episode this week ? At least they repeated the Christine one, which is probably my favourite of the entire run.
  • figgis 30 Mar 2017 10:34:18 7,720 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never seen the Christine one before, think I got something in my eye...
  • drhcnip 30 Mar 2017 10:34:52 6,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

nah, the new series has finished, unfortunately, the xmas ep was #1...:(

would love a full rerun of series 2, though...
  • LittleSparra 30 Mar 2017 10:38:32 7,926 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just read the plot of the Christine ep to remind myself. Oh yeah. That one.

:'(
  • chrisp 30 Mar 2017 10:56:25 1,153 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of my favourites is the one with Alison Steadman as the fake medium on a candid camera TV show. Second series I think, can't remember the name of the ep.
  • drhcnip 30 Mar 2017 11:04:27 6,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    seance time, i think it was the last ep of series 2
  • chrisp 30 Mar 2017 11:06:43 1,153 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's it! Yeah, loved that ep. Although my friend, who's also a fan, thought it was the weakest of that series.
  • drhcnip 1 Apr 2017 15:47:01 6,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    series 1&2 on netflix - excellent news, only got the first on dvd...
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 2 Apr 2017 15:28:56 1,982 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damn, this is good, first I'd heard of it!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Apr 2017 15:30:35 10,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Need to get these rewatched, I remember the one with the balloon being a real treat first time around
  • captainrentboy 19 Apr 2017 21:24:51 1,682 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just noticed this is now on UK Netflix so thought I'd catch up with the earlier episodes.
    Fucking hell, the writing and stories for each episode are all over the place aren't they? It's absolutely mental. (In a good way)
    Going from 'Sardines', which was super dark and not particularly jokey, to 'A Quiet Night In' which was full of physical comedy and had genuinely lol worthy parts, was quite the shift in tone. :)
    I've never really given Pemberton/Shearsmith's stuff a go before, I'm assuming this show is the most accessible.
  • mal 19 Apr 2017 22:26:27 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Probably either this, being an anthology series, or league of gentlemen being a catchphrase-based sketch show based around a theme - certainly darker than the Fast Show especially after the first series, but it doesn't require anything like the brainpower to really enjoy this show.
  • Trafford 19 Apr 2017 22:28:42 8,372 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    Never seen the Christine one before, think I got something in my eye...
    This.

And the cat burglar one 😂
  • Bambot 19 Apr 2017 22:58:05 1,385 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stoatboy wrote:
    If you're into cryptic crosswords it's hard not to rate The Sphinx as one of the very best, because the crossword in it was published in the Guardian on the day it was broadcast (attributed to a new setter called Sphinx). There was a mention at the top of the crossword that you might want to check out Inside No. 9 later, but no indication of how deep the link was.

I was expecting maybe a few cross-references perhaps - some of the clues to have additional meaning etc. For the whole crossword to be used was amazing (one clue was changed for publishing, but other than that it was identical). So I was watching it grinning from ear to ear, because all the exposition was revisiting clues I'd already solved earlier that day.

And the reveal of the messages hidden in the grid - "I swapped cups" and "RIP NHS" was the icing on the cake (these hidden words are known as Ninas in crosswording circles - hence the female lead's name). Because the only Nina any crossworder had found up to that point was "ONE LEPUS" written down the middle of the grid ("lepus" being the name of the genus "hare", so there was a hare hidden in the crossword as well as the episode).

It really was very good indeed.
    Wow that's so cool. It was already my favourite episode, but getting it printed too is cool. And I didn't spot the hare in the crossword! I know they're in the show but haven't always spotted them.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Apr 2017 01:49:27 10,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And Shearsmith has been tweeting about a fourth series being ready to go

Need to give Psychoville another watch now it's on Netflix too.
  • Nanocrystal 20 Apr 2017 02:45:13 1,876 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think describing the League of Gentlemen as a "catch-phrase based sketch show" does it a pretty major disservice. It quickly evolved into so much more than that.
  • captainrentboy 24 Apr 2017 22:54:29 1,682 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bloody hell '12 Days of Christine' was fantastic.
    What a frigging gut punch at the end! :(
    The fact that they managed to do it all within 30 minutes shows what a great pair of writers they are.
  • caligari 30 Dec 2017 14:24:22 17,945 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Back on the 2nd of January!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.