Following Amazon Prime Recommendations Page 44

• simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Oct 2020 11:33:09 16,375 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the new Simon Pegg Nick Frost series going all up at once or is it weekly?
  • Jono62 26 Oct 2020 11:34:42 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Borat was good. The daughter was excellent, I thought. The bit that made me laugh the most was the flashlight/fleshlight bit. Mostly it was cringe, in a good way, especially the cake women not batting an eyelid when putting the Jew comment on the cake. Showed Rudi to be the massive creep that everyone knows he is.
  • millerlfc 26 Oct 2020 12:55:19 663 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Is the new Simon Pegg Nick Frost series going all up at once or is it weekly?
    Radio Times says all eight episodes will become available toether on 30th October.
  • fontgeeksogood 26 Oct 2020 12:59:53 12,442 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought Borat Subsequent Moviefilm gave me all the Borat content I was expecting and wanting.

The homage to the Usual Suspects towards the end was terrific
  • Deleted user 26 October 2020 13:48:48
    Yeah Borat was decent enough. Even the original film is still nowhere near as good as the TV show. It's best when nobody knows who he is and he just stitches people up in interviews.

The films have too much acting and padding.

Still enjoy them though.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 13:48:58 26-10-2020
  • Sharz 26 Oct 2020 14:39:26 2,048 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Will need to rewatch the first film because feel this sequel was fun but really needed more 'real' content. Read somewhere about how they struggled now that the profile of the character is so well known so the team changed how the sequel would work. And that really comes across, for example the baby cake bit , they could have done more with that such as interviews with religious leaders and politicians. Or going to churches, instead we got 5 mins in a clinic with a nobody. But it has been done before and no one of any real position would be involved.

Edited by Sharz at 14:41:07 26-10-2020
  • richarddavies 26 Oct 2020 14:47:38 8,156 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I watched the first one on Sunday with my lad and its a lot better. You don't realise how detrimental an impact his fame has had on the sequel till you go back to it.

And the segments he did on TV on channel 4 are amazing still.
  • muddyyfunster 26 Oct 2020 15:47:51 911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Ali G and Borat skits from that first series on Channel 4 are still 'convulsions' funny 20 years later. Ali G meeting the animal rights protestors and Borat learning to be a gentleman are probably my favourites but it was all gold. To still be getting 'wins' two decades on, whilst being a worldwide celebrity is pretty damn good going.

If he hadn't pissed off so many right-wingers in power on both side of the Atlantic he'd be well on target for national treasure status.
  • JYM60 26 Oct 2020 16:17:33 18,730 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aye thought Borat 2 was decent. Not as good as the first, but still funny parts.

Definitely agree that the best parts are just the hilarity of talking and interviewing people who have no idea what is happening. This had so much padding and scripted stuff in it, though the daughter character was good. The use of more disguises, because the Borat disguise is too familiar is a bit shit, but the only way he could make a sequel in USA basically.
  • Immaterial 1 Nov 2020 12:50:37 2,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone else watching Truth Seekers (Nick Frost with a tiny bit of Pegg)?

Think I'm up to episode 6. It's on a budget, but still pretty good telly- nice creepy bits, with a couple of decent running gags keeping things ticking over.
  • brokenkey 1 Nov 2020 17:21:23 10,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Upload. I'm up to episode 4. Not a "hilarious comedy". Basically an extended black mirror episode, possibly with a whodunit in there somewhere.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2020 23:48:07 16,375 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One episode into Truth Seekers. I didnít think it would be as creepy as it is.
  • Decks 2 Nov 2020 10:01:14 28,847 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't really get on with the first episode. Probably stick with it to see if it picks up. Also Nick Frost is about 2 years away from being a shut in if he continues on his current trajectory.
  • nickthegun 2 Nov 2020 10:13:33 85,079 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, his stuntman on Badlands earned his money.

Im also about four episodes in and Im enjoying it. Its not LOL funny, but it is fairly smartly written and the leads are all good.

My only real problem is the girls dreadful 80s northern council estate haircut is just so distractingly bad.
  • Nazo 2 Nov 2020 10:16:15 1,691 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed the first 2 episodes, they're nicely done. It's less outright comedy than some of their other stuff but it nails that slightly off atmosphere.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2020 10:19:56 16,375 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The living dead dog is such a horrible concept
  • Immaterial 2 Nov 2020 15:22:11 2,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Eww- I'd forgotten that bit.

Finished the season last night. A couple of fun plot twists, only one of which I saw coming. It was nice to see the non-baking 50% of the Mighty Boosh doing his thing, and a nod and a wink to Close Encounters from Malcom McDowell.

I also finally worked out why McDowell was in it in the first place- the 'desensitisation' scene in A Clockwork Orange. Only took me three days of going 'WTF is he doing back screen?' for the penny to drop.

This does mean that I'll need to re-watch the whole thing to see what other references Frost and co. managed to hide in plain site...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2020 23:06:38 16,375 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I enjoyed it a lot. Its not the show I was expecting at all but the Pegg Frost vibe is one Iíve always dug.

Itíll be interesting to see where a second series goes now.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Nov 2020 09:14:31 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I thought it was a fun watch, and managed some decent horror moments alongside the humour.
  • muddyyfunster 3 Nov 2020 11:32:15 911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    +1 for Truth Seekers.

Not as good or funny as the cornetto trilogy and misses Edgar Wright's wit, but it's fun and entertaining all the same. I went from slightly disappointed after the first episode to watching the next four back to back.
  • Dougs 3 Nov 2020 13:27:30 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Excellent, will check it out.
  • nickthegun 4 Nov 2020 22:32:41 85,079 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    My only real problem is the girls dreadful 80s northern council estate haircut is just so distractingly bad.
    Lol. Haircut pays off. Very good
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 4 Nov 2020 23:09:59 3,035 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Film: Hell house llc
    Series: upload
  • Jono62 5 Nov 2020 13:20:03 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Upload is very enjoyable.

I was hoping there would be another series of Braindead.
  • cowell 9 Nov 2020 11:47:14 2,221 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did notice that Oscar winner Parasite is now on Prime
  • billythekid 13 Nov 2020 12:23:57 12,583 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    James May: Oh Cook is out today.
    Quite like his Food Tribe channel on YouTube so I'll give this a watch later.
  • Trowel 13 Nov 2020 13:13:28 24,196 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hades has got me watching The Great Greek Myths, and it's really good. It's a high quality French animation series mixed with paintings and other media representing Greek Gods, and the English narration is superb (I can't find who it is). It does take a light touch to the myths and has a few errors and inconsistencies, but as an intro it's a great place to start.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07PPCZ3HK
  • StixxUK 13 Nov 2020 13:21:29 8,555 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Trowel nothing to do with Amazon Prime but I'm currently reading Stephen Fry's Mythos for the same reason.
  • DaM 13 Nov 2020 14:49:00 17,628 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I'm watching his Japan one. He visted a master sword maker, I think the same one that Guy Martin visited. Guy gave the bloke some engineering chat, and was invited to have a go. The bloke said he'd be welcome as an apprentice.

James was ordered by the master to stay at the other side of the room and not come anywhere near the action :)
  • billythekid 13 Nov 2020 14:53:47 12,583 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    I'm watching his Japan one. He visted a master sword maker, I think the same one that Guy Martin visited. Guy gave the bloke some engineering chat, and was invited to have a go. The bloke said he'd be welcome as an apprentice.

James was ordered by the master to stay at the other side of the room and not come anywhere near the action :)
    I really enjoyed his Japanese escapades.

Hey Bim! Guess what!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.