Has anyone on EG sold a console recently? Looking for a bit of advice

• Bombonera 15 Jan 2017 13:39:24 435 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have an original Phat PS4 I no longer have any use for as I recently bought a Pro. I don't need the Phat and I've been thinking of trying to sell it. It is used but in good condition. I haven't sold a console before. I am wondering what would be the best way to go about it. Should I try to sell it on ebay or gumtree? They both seem to have their pitfalls but I'm not sure if there are any better options.
  • Frogofdoom 15 Jan 2017 13:50:05 17,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you are worried about selling on those just sell it to game or cex, you will get less money but no comeback or scamming.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2017 13:53:16
    @Bombonera I've recently sold consoles to Grainger Games. The prices have been resonable and also you can get the trade in price against Amazon vouchers, PSN credit etc....

Just reset the console to its factory settings before flogging to anyone.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Jan 2017 09:46:52 16,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can always try to sell it on here in the Swapsies thread - I've bought and sold consoles via EG and have never had any issues.
  • Zippity-zap 16 Jan 2017 12:43:53 595 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 16 January 2017 12:49:14
    sold mine on ebay. 150 quid a few months ago. possibly less now. ebay take a cut and you want to be sure to use recorded post. i'd also use buy-it-now rather than an auction, as PS4s have a known value.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 16 Jan 2017 13:39:33 10,094 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sold mine at work for 150. Make sure you deactivate and factory reset first. Also probably wouldn't bother with ebay for the reasons people have outlined here. If you can't sell locally/on here take it to cex/game/cash converters
  • Tomo 16 Jan 2017 14:24:57 18,835 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've sold loads of stuff on EG, Gumtree and eBay. More expensive that a phat PS4.

Tbh, Gumtree has pleasantly surprised me since I started using it about a year ago. As a seller, it's great. It's hard to be scammed because - in all honesty - there is no buyer protection.

Case in point, your PS4: list it on Gumtree, then watch as the idiotic buyers send you 2 words messages asking for way under your asking price. Eventually, you'll get someone who can actually string together a comprehensible sentence, who actually wants the thing.

Then, just meet in a public place so they can't shank you and make off with the PS4. Get them to pay cash and job done. Don't meet them at your home address and try to avoid giving out your mobile number (ie, meet at a designated point at a designated time, by email - this is often hard to do though.)

Also, don't be a bellend and sell them something shitty or way below their expectations. It cuts both ways.

Conversely, as a buyer, ask them loads of questions when you meet. Have a look at the item and don't be afraid to say no if it turns out to be less than you expected.

Gumtree is great - screw eBay and it's commission. Unless you're buying a really high value item, then the Paypal insurance is very handy.
  • Tomo 16 Jan 2017 14:26:09 18,835 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh, and EG is great too, but people are a bit more savvy here so it's a bit harder to get more cash for your tat ;D

That said, it's great for buying and you can generally trust people on here. Only ever had one incident where a game got lost in the post and the seller gave me the money back. Good chap.
  • Bombonera 17 Jan 2017 16:24:49 435 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CEX are offering 113 for a PS4 500GB console with the controller. They won't accept the console on its own without the controller. Is this standard procedure for CEX? I'm not sure if it's still a good deal as the controller sells for around 30 used on eBay.
  • Flying_Pig 17 Jan 2017 16:30:48 16,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes, I'd say that's a good deal. Game offered me 85 for mine last November, but sold it on here for about 100
  • dwalker109 17 Jan 2017 17:13:45 86 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bombonera wrote:
    I'm not sure if it's still a good deal as the controller sells for around 30 used on eBay.
    Buying a used controller off of eBay is making my OCD twitch. Might as well go and lick the end of the seller's dick while you're at it.
  • dwalker109 17 Jan 2017 17:25:55 86 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I sold a PS4 last month. 166, eBay took 16 of that I think. eBay is fine, but you might not get much more than CEX.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.