Following Super Mario Odyssey Page 71

• The_Goon 21 Apr 2018 08:18:43 1,348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Completed the initial story run of this with 250 moons yesterday after about 10 hoursí play. Really enjoyed it but 880/999 moons sounds like a tough ask. Not sure I can be faffed to do it.

Edited by The_Goon at 08:19:21 21-04-2018
  • monkman76 21 Apr 2018 08:21:33 14,894 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you get to 500 moons you unlock the end-game content. And now you've finished the story, there will be a load more easy to reach moons in each kingdom. Don't stop just yet!
  • Bambot 21 Apr 2018 09:22:42 1,386 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I finished with around 250ish too a few months ago and have to say, the urge to play it ever again dropped off like a rock. Honestly can't be bothered traipsing around searching for more when there's plenty of other games to play. I don't really care, when there's no real need to do so now the 'story' is technically done.

But I feel bad about it. I know there's like 3/4 of the game still in there but... I just don't care. I know it's an unpopular reaction to what's supposedly one of the best games of all time, but I don't think it's *that* amazing, and my hunger for more moons is non-existant. I can't be the only one. Am I?

Edited by Bambot at 09:25:04 21-04-2018
  • Deleted user 21 April 2018 10:18:33
    why do you care, it doesn't matter at all
  • Deleted user 21 April 2018 11:41:12
    I have a little dabble now and again to grab a few more moons but I have no real urge to get them all.

I just like messing around with the game every now and then due to the amazing controls.
  • ghearoid 21 Apr 2018 13:01:19 3,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I stopped actively playing at just over 550 moons. I wanted to unlock all the extras but didn't necessarily feel the need to 100% the game. I thought I'd rather leave with fond memories than repeat those moons with increased difficulty.

I still pop in now and then to have a little pootle around though.
  • richyroo 21 Apr 2018 17:02:14 371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bambot No your not the only one. I find it fairly tedious hunting around levels for moons. Its like an open world collectathon, with only clues to help you find them.

The game is good, but seriously over-rated.
  • el_pollo_diablo 23 Apr 2018 09:07:24 2,964 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I like the game but to my taste itís not as fun as the 3DS game was.

At least theyíve got this Mario 64 thing out of their system now and can bring us a more level based, A to B structured game next.

Edited by el_pollo_diablo at 09:08:34 23-04-2018
  • The_Goon 2 May 2018 10:01:09 1,348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Closing in on 500 moons now to unlock the end game content, but it really is getting a bit tiresome. Frankly, the only reason I'm doing it is because my mate 100%ed it and I don't like the idea of being outdone by him (lol). I don't bother with collectables on all other games so I don't know why I'd bother here. Should probably dump it and get back to BulletStorm or move on to Zelda.

My mate is not a big gamer which may be why he absolutely loved this and played it to death. I am sure I preferred Galaxy although I played it ages ago. It just didn't feel like a chore getting all the stars with Mario and then with Luigi. It was a perfect length.
  • SnackPlissken 25 Nov 2018 17:13:55 1,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Iíve just gone back since maybe Feb this year? Picking up the missed moons. The odyssey says I need about 20.. I can do this.
  • garsync 25 Nov 2018 18:12:38 167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have just gone back too, was good to take a break! Don't really fancy doing the rabbit boss run again tho.
  • Youthist 25 Nov 2018 18:41:31 13,855 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have the gold balloon on this and the hat on the princess castle, all purple coins and all moons. The only thing I didnít do is collect all costumes (f that). Magnificent game.

Edited by Youthist at 18:41:46 25-11-2018
  • Steifybobbins 1 Dec 2018 14:34:11 565 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got around to buying this after selling and re-buying a switch. 3.5 hours in I think it's the best Mario to date. It basically gives you the same feeling BOTW does in that, it's just so much fun running around being there looking for stuff to find . Generally I hate open words and collectathons but both of the above make it somehow interesting and more importantly compelling to just explore. If you are like me, do yourself a favour and take a chance on this. I think I'll turn it back on....
  • RawShark 4 Dec 2018 10:25:59 727 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dip back in every now and then to pick up a few more moons here and there.

The game is fantastic, if not as tightly designed as either of the Galaxy series.

Have to admit there's always a cut off point with Mario games for me. I never did the second playthrough on Galaxy 1 as Luigi, and didn't get more than a handful of the green stars on Galaxy 2 (so never got the two ultra hard levels). And that's kind of where I'm finding myself with Odyssey right now.

Sometimes, you just have to put the game down and move on to the next one.
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 Dec 2018 10:31:20 8,032 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think I've ever been left so cold with a Mario experience. The controls were as good as they've ever been, but the majority of the worlds, music and new character types they bought in were forgettable at best. Just thought it completely lacked the charm of past games. Come to think of it, 64 aside I don't think I've really got on with any of the 3D games. I would sell it but my 3 year old still likes messing around in Metro City.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:33:55 04-12-2018
  • Kay 4 Dec 2018 11:35:39 20,135 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd actually say it's probably the most charming Mario game ever tbh, especially with all the captures and transformations. Stacking dozens of goombas on top of each other never failed to make me smile.

The amount of moons was the main issue I had with the game. The whole thing just felt so padded out, which is a shame as the highs are really high.
  • RawShark 6 Feb 2019 13:32:35 727 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I've gotten all but one of the moons in the game and am missing about six coins. Decided I wanted the final moon I picked up to be the endgame Long Journey's End one... and OH MY GOD it can go suck a dick.

That capless part where you need to be clairvoyant to know where to go is an absolute bitch, but one I eventually got past through trial and error. Now I can generally get as far as the Pokio bird section (if I'm lucky, the laser ring section is death) before I usually crash out and have to start all the way at the start again.

Honestly, the disappearing road rush moon was bad but this one is just infuriating. There's a point where it's just not fun anymore and becomes masochistic.

Anyway - is there any point in buying the other moons at stores to get up to 999 moons? Because I'd rather be spending that money on the remaining outfits.
  • Kay 6 Feb 2019 13:46:09 20,135 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The reward for getting all 999 moons is not worth it, no.

Although that last level isn't quite that hard tbh. The bit you're stuck on is right near the end anyway. Do try to get that last moon, but don't bother with the shop ones.
  • DangerousDave_87 6 Feb 2019 15:29:59 6,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's only a difficult level if you're annoyed. Super Mario 3D World's final level is much harder. Just put it down for a couple of days and try again.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Feb 2019 17:20:42 14,635 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can fly over a fair chunk of the level if you are after a cheese.
  • RawShark 7 Feb 2019 14:44:06 727 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 Heh, you're right. Got back on it last night and did it on my second go.Was quite annoyed afterwards when I realised there was a shortcut that completely bypassed that capless section.

Went back through and picked up the last few purple coins too. It's a shame you don't get anything significant for the effort though. Oh well, completionism is it's own reward.

I'm just mindlessly grinding for coins now to pick up the last few outfits.
  • robc84 1 Mar 2019 21:07:05 13,752 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apologies if itís been answered already but....

Me and the boy have finally done the darker side (after about a million attempts) and have about 550 moons. He wants to carry on playing and collecting moons but there seem to be very few about and certainly not enough to reach 999. Most of the kingdoms are empty now and not showing any moon locations on the map.

Are most of the remaining ones bought from the shop?
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 1 Mar 2019 21:50:27 2,024 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    I'd actually say it's probably the most charming Mario game ever tbh,
    Easily, but I know a lot of people that got a lot of the dull moons first. Had to tell them about all the great ones.
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Mar 2019 23:02:17 6,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @robc84 Have you investigated the metal cubes in each world?
  • robc84 2 Mar 2019 08:10:45 13,752 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

Yeah I think so. Those things you can break after you complete the game? I thought some more may appear after completing darker side, but it seems not.

I just donít see where another 400 odd moons could be
  • Gaol 2 Mar 2019 11:20:41 3,462 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Make sure you are getting the challenge ones from the toad in mushroom kingdom. To answer your original question, there are 880 or so in the game without buying additional store ones. I loved collecting all of them.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.