Following Super Mario Odyssey Page 72

• robc84 2 Mar 2019 18:31:32 13,752 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gaol

Yeah been getting the ones from toadette.

So there must be loads more, just need to look harder I guess.
  • Ienjoysquid 10 Mar 2019 18:52:48 339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I'm going to sell this now. As much as I enjoyed the short main story playthrough with my kid, grinding out the other moons hasn't held our interest as much as I hoped it would.

It's not that it isn't fun, it's just I never remember it.
  • JonFE 10 Mar 2019 20:27:08 1,943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @robc84 Regarding Super Mario Odyssey, IIRC there's an in-game list of collectible moons per kingdom, where the ones you have already found are displayed by name, so you may narrow down the possible locations of the missing ones...
  • RawShark 11 Mar 2019 14:03:58 727 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ienjoysquid One thing I will say about the game design is that I found that after completing the main story I could pick up the game for short bursts and would usually be able to find one or two moons I'd missed on every sitting. That's great design - challenging but never blocking progress (albeit with a little help from Uncle Amiibo).

It got to the point where I just sat down one weekend and decided to pick up all the remaining moons so I could get on and play something else. And the criticism I have of the game is that the incentives for getting all the moons are pretty weak. It's really all about the fun of actually doing it and knowing you were good enough to get them rather than what you get at the end. (And it has to be said, some moons are considerably more fun than others. Volleyball, I'm looking at you).

I'm still about 15,000 coins away from getting the last two outfits, so still grinding away at that bloody coin run in Bowser's Kingdom. God knows why I feel like I need these outfits for a game where I've already seen everything. But I've made it this far so may as well now.
  • jimnastics 11 Mar 2019 14:14:39 1,641 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My little lad has finally had his fill of the game at about 570 moons... he's done and dusted. We both absolutely loved the game and it'll be timeless in my memory as the first game we completed together :)
  • Waffleaber 11 Mar 2019 15:09:52 743 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just shy of 700 moons after picking this up again. I also saved up for the 8-Bit Mario outfit and....it's rubbish. His legs don't even move. Massive disappointment.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Mar 2019 22:42:12 6,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Waffleaber That wasn't even a costume when I completed the game. There was the N64 costume, which was amusing.
  • StixxUK 9 Aug 2019 22:31:50 8,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finally got around to playing this - not sure what took me so long, it was one of the reasons I bought a Switch (ages ago).

It's great fun, and took me totally by surprise as to how weird it actually is.

Proper trippy bizness.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 10 Aug 2019 01:01:49 2,024 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Galaxy 2 is the weird one. Both games keep giving though, never played a pair of games that are so endlessly creative
  • StixxUK 10 Aug 2019 08:52:44 8,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @CrispyXUKTurbo never got to play that, did quite a lot of Galaxy 1 when it came out.

There's no reason they couldn't do Wii games on the Switch is there?
  • Ienjoysquid 16 Aug 2019 01:24:01 339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /waggles hopefully
  • richyroo 16 Aug 2019 12:35:17 371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm just gonna put this out there and say that I think Mario Odyssey was over-rated.

Its a decent game, and one that I put about 40 hours into. However I think they went the lazy route by only creating a dozen or so planets and then making the game a "moon hunt" across the planets. There was a lot of creativity in the levels, but also a lot of tedium.

Compared to something like Mario Galaxy, then Odyssey is not even close to the genius of those games. Proper large levels that were brimming with creativity from start to finish.

Please Nintendo just give us a Mario Galaxy HD collection.

Edited by richyroo at 12:36:20 16-08-2019
  • Zerobob 16 Aug 2019 13:32:30 2,252 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @richyroo I voiced similar complaints at the time of the game's release and, after completing the story, was happy to sell my copy for exactly what I paid for it.

There's no denying the animation and art direction is superb, but I agree that the "moon hunt" wasn't anywhere near as compelling as, say, the hunt for stars in Mario 64 - The moons were so prevalent that they failed to feel special.

Couple that with the fact some levels felt a little uninspired and inelegant, and there's no hub world to explore as such, I felt very little drive to return to earlier levels and found the endgame vapid and unsatisfying.
  • Rhaegyr 16 Aug 2019 13:40:32 4,804 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say the complete opposite - it's the best Mario has ever been, narrowly pipping Galaxy and Super Mario World.

I loved the sense of exploration and discovery as opposed to the 'linear' stars in games like Mario 64. They have a few 'linear' stars but the bulk of the levels are massive, fun playgrounds to discover secrets and get lost in.

The animation, orchestra and Mario's movement were all spot on, too.

I've played pretty much every Mario game since SMB3 but this is the only one I've been determined to find every single moon and achieve 100% completion (which is sadly a double-edged sword as I can't go back to the game and find 'new' stuff now).

Genuinely think it's the best Mario's ever been (as was Zelda with BOTW).
  • minky-kong 16 Aug 2019 13:43:42 14,349 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    I'm just gonna put this out there and say that I think Mario Odyssey was over-rated.

Its a decent game, and one that I put about 40 hours into. However I think they went the lazy route by only creating a dozen or so planets and then making the game a "moon hunt" across the planets. There was a lot of creativity in the levels, but also a lot of tedium.

Compared to something like Mario Galaxy, then Odyssey is not even close to the genius of those games. Proper large levels that were brimming with creativity from start to finish.

Completely agree with all of this. The moon hunt at the end was tedious and lacked the creativity you expect from 3D Mario games.

And yes, PLEASE give us a Galaxy HD Collection Nintendo!
  • DangerousDave_87 16 Aug 2019 14:27:11 6,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought the game improved massively after the credits rolled. Definitely has more of a galaxy vibe to it and the difficulty behind to ramp up.

It's not anywhere near as great as the Galaxy games, but nothing is.
  • Ienjoysquid 16 Aug 2019 15:00:56 339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richyroo wrote:

I agree, but I can kind of also see why they did it. The dual controls for Cappy were ideal for playing with a child on the short main campaign, with the longer more challenging run through later for an adult.

I played it with my son being Cappy and as far as he knows we completed Mario, didn't get bored or stuck and saw all the worlds which were amazing. He will probably be a Mario customer for life. It is only me that's left with the sense of existential emptiness and unfulfillment.
  • Tomo 16 Aug 2019 15:40:10 16,701 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richyroo wrote:

Amen. This is the first mainline Mario game I've not finished, sadly.

There's just too many things to collect and little satisfaction in getting a lot of them. Ground pound most worlds and a Moon pops out. Mario 64, the SMGs and Super Mario 3D Land are amazing because they aren't overfilled with stuff to collect and when you do get a Star/Coin/whatever, you feel like you've actually achieved something.

Odyssey has these moments too, don't get me wrong, but there is a whole load of filler in there too.
  • Tomo 16 Aug 2019 15:41:51 16,701 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also, it's surely a matter of time before Nintendo pump out buffed versions of the Galaxy games. They will sell like crazy.

Edited by Tomo at 15:42:01 16-08-2019
  • richyroo 16 Aug 2019 15:50:49 371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I always thought I was the only one who thought mario odyssey was overrated. Glad I'm not the only one.

A Mario galaxy collection would make sense, especially as they are now available on the nvidia shield in China I believe? Dont be morons Nintendo, just do it.

Edited by richyroo at 15:52:15 16-08-2019
  • Kay 16 Aug 2019 16:20:30 20,135 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    There's just too many things to collect and little satisfaction in getting a lot of them. Ground pound most worlds and a Moon pops out. Mario 64, the SMGs and Super Mario 3D Land are amazing because they aren't overfilled with stuff to collect and when you do get a Star/Coin/whatever, you feel like you've actually achieved something.

Odyssey has these moments too, don't get me wrong, but there is a whole load of filler in there too.
    Yeah, this sums it up perfectly. The highs in the game are fantastic, but the ridiculous amount of moons robbed the sense of achievement, and meant that towards the end it felt like a serious grind. Probably my fault for going for 999 moons, but still.

Also, I've just realised that we probably won't be getting any of the rumoured DLC worlds for it now :/ (and yeah, I do realise the irony of wanting more content after complaining about too much content). Although that makes a sequel even more inevitable.

Edited by Kay at 16:21:16 16-08-2019
  • disusedgenius 16 Aug 2019 16:30:41 10,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    I always thought I was the only one who thought mario odyssey was overrated. Glad I'm not the only one.
    To the point where it isn't even really overrated, because people don't rate it.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 16 Aug 2019 23:04:41 11,525 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Odyssey is a work of art and by far the best game on the Switch so far.
  • atothewest 17 Aug 2019 00:24:51 1,022 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My only complaint with Odyssey was the missed opportunity for the greatest endgame mic drop of all time by not including a full remake of Mario 64 inside Peach's castle at the end.

Otherwise it was sensational.
  • Youthist 17 Aug 2019 03:14:52 13,855 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    I got every single moon in the game and at my age that is proper dedication which games can rarely draw out of me in the last 20 years. It is an amazing game no question. Just bring on some DLC or a sequel please

Edited by Youthist at 03:15:11 17-08-2019
  • Ienjoysquid 18 Aug 2019 12:22:03 339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    I got every single moon in the game and at my age that is proper dedication which games can rarely draw out of me in the last 20 years. It is an amazing game no question. Just bring on some DLC or a sequel please
    I just clocked the Nodes of Yesod avatar! Great memories of playing that as a kid.

No online multiplayer. No trash talking 14 year olds. No loot boxes. No 3D. Just sprite colour clash and jumping to a restful bleepy soundtrack. Oh, and being stuck, endlessly stuck. And dead from the guy in the spacesuit.
  • Ienjoysquid 18 Aug 2019 12:25:56 339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So after a long break I came back to defeat the Broodles on Dark Side 1 and am at 517 moons. My kid says he doesn't want to play it anymore. He suggests we eBay it so he can use his share of the proceeds to buy a Fortnite season pass with skins and lootboxes.

I am not sure. Is there much else to do? Not sure I have the patience for the Long Journey on Dark Side 2...
  • RawShark 18 Aug 2019 12:32:04 727 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ienjoysquid wrote:
    So after a long break I came back to defeat the Broodles on Dark Side 1 and am at 517 moons. My kid says he doesn't want to play it anymore. He suggests we eBay it so he can use his share of the proceeds to buy a Fortnite season pass with skins and lootboxes.

I am not sure. Is there much else to do? Not sure I have the patience for the Long Journey on Dark Side 2...
    This makes me sad.

Basically youíre missing 183 moons. But itís not about the destination, itís about the journey.
  • Ienjoysquid 18 Aug 2019 13:14:43 339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Ienjoysquid wrote:

This makes me sad.

Basically youíre missing 183 moons. But itís not about the destination, itís about the journey.
    It's about the grind!

I refuse to do any more of those races against the stupid jumping tortoises, so I'm not going to get those moons. I don't think I can do the long road, or journey or whatever it's called. So I'm not going to get those moons.

I'm not sure where 100 odd other moons would be on the maps we've done. I do like the game, but less so the hunting around.
  • MrFlay 18 Aug 2019 16:19:15 4,117 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love Super Mario Odyssey but 3D World is the better game. I've spent a few hours this week playing it with my nephew (5) and niece (8) and it's a far better designed game. Odyssey has too much wandering around aimlessly trying to find moons. It just gets boring at some point. 3D World has so many great ideas. The grinding is really tiresome and too many of the moons are just bullshit.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.