Arms Page 11

• SuperBas 24 Jun 2017 10:12:55 1,675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, I don't know if it's my internet or just the Mario Kart 8 team being unable to provide good online like with MK8, but I constantly can't connect to party games. When I do connect, I get a lot of punches flying straight through opponents.

Lesson learned: I'm selling this game and avoiding other games by this team from now on.
  • Switch024 24 Jun 2017 10:21:35 3,107 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds odd. I've played online a few times in the last week and not had a problem.
  • Daz190uk 24 Jun 2017 10:54:35 354 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The connection online is better on this than MK8 for me. I've never had a problem on this but do get the odd disconnect on MK.
  • captain_markyboy 24 Jun 2017 13:50:03 853 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I got this after reading decent reviews.....
    It's going to be traded in rather rapidly. Boring.
    Probably the quickest I've ever traded a game in. Still, 40 trade in price still.
  • Toaster05 24 Jun 2017 15:34:53 2,012 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I sold it today also. I paid 25 quid for it so I have no regrets. Might purchase it again in the future.
  • binky Moderator 24 Jun 2017 16:13:09 10,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Are those of you selling it generally just playing 1 player?
  • Toaster05 24 Jun 2017 18:41:26 2,012 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried it online, but competitive multiplayer isn't really my thing.

I sold it to make my money back and then some. I'll put that towards my next Switch purchase.
  • SuperBas 24 Jun 2017 21:35:51 1,675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Online, as offline was awful. I only played it twice: once at level 4 to unlock ranked, which I found easy. Then again at level 7, before realizing the CPU just waits for you to do something before reacting to it at impossible speeds. I only played/tried to play online from then on.
  • el_pollo_diablo 24 Jun 2017 22:34:36 2,870 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ARMS? Or ARSE? YOU BE THE JUDGE.
  • ChiefGB 25 Jun 2017 23:04:47 9,919 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not surprised some buyers remorse kicking in, it just seems not enough to justify the price ninty seems to think they can sell all switch games for. The likes of Zelda,Mario etc im there but at 50 I will also be thinking twice about the likes of splatoon etc. It's just too much.
  • rice_sandwich 26 Jun 2017 07:06:03 4,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Splatoon is as packed with content as any other shooter. 50 is an absolute bargain for a game that I'll play for hundreds of hours. To be fair if online shooters aren't your thing then 40-50 is too much, and I understand that point of view.

Arms certainly seems to have niche appeal, as do most fighting games given their very narrow focus on, well, fighting, and learning the mechanics. I'm glad they're trying new things even if Arms is only ever going to have minority appeal. I'm treating it as a casual, knockabout game to be played in short bursts.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 26 Jun 2017 07:14:39 8,232 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can we stop with all the 50 talk? If you're paying 50 for any game, Switch or otherwise, you need to get better at shopping.
  • rice_sandwich 26 Jun 2017 07:18:51 4,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

I think people mean 'full price' and their point is that Arms should be cheaper than the 37 to 40 odd price point that it occupies given how light on content it is (at the moment).
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2017 10:17:29 50,591 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Picking up Arms today, i see everyones already decided its shite and trading it in... doesn't bode well!

Hopefully someone will trade me Zelda for it as i still dont have that.
  • y2rich 26 Jun 2017 10:48:58 3,283 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a cracking game it's just a bit light on single player content and suffers from classic 'nintendo' when it comes to online play. As a game for playing side by side with mates it's almost untouchable in terms of fun
  • PrivateFloyd 26 Jun 2017 12:07:33 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As soon as Arms touches 30 either pre owned or new I'm in.
  • binky Moderator 26 Jun 2017 12:11:06 10,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen I've been playing it with my son (you can coop the single player) as well as competitively and it's been a joy!
  • Deleted user 26 June 2017 12:56:07
    I'm tempted to pick it up today.

Drinking beer in the sun will do that
  • Daz190uk 26 Jun 2017 17:39:53 354 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do it, Jive!

It's much better on the Pro controller though on my view.

I've had some great lobbies on this with some of the guys over at the n-Europe forums but it does need voice chat really.
  • Duffking 26 Jun 2017 17:50:17 15,950 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've enjoyed it plenty. I like that it doesn't have any complicated button inputs etc.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Jun 2017 06:59:31 6,976 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Can we stop with all the 50 talk? If you're paying 50 for any game, Switch or otherwise, you need to get better at shopping.
    THIS
  • Decap 27 Jun 2017 07:59:07 142 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    THIS
    Actually, not this. Since this site is mostly uk-based the currency that everyone refers to is always pounds. But plenty of us "non UK residents" EUROgamers deal and buy our games in euros, and we don't have Amazon offering us "free UK shipping!"
    Every retailer up around here (Finland) puts the price of Nintendo games at 59e (or even more), which translates to 52 pounds. Sure we can also order from Amazon.co.uk, or .de or something like that but there's shipping costs. And sometimes you just want to get the game asap so you buy it from the store.

Not to be totally offtopic, I do hope a proper deal for Arms is somewhere to be found. Still interested in it mostly for offline couch punching with the friends, but not enough to pay 59 euros! for it. :-)
  • THFourteen 27 Jun 2017 08:49:35 50,591 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Played a little single player last night. First impressions are it's fun, but it's still a fighting game and as expected I still suck.

The motion controls are also very waggly imo, especially the dash which I can't for the life of me work out how to do. Why couldn't they just have L for left dash R for right dash and then another button for the jump would have made more sense.

Getting whipped on level 2 single player :-D
  • macmurphy 27 Jun 2017 08:52:31 3,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Decap

I think his point is relevant, because it comes down to the price in relation to other titles. That's where the perception of value is made. Yeah you might pay 52, but I'm sure all the other titles are proportionately more expensive too.

The point is that with not much effort you can get Switch games here for 40, not the 50 that people keep quoting, and that price point makes games compare much more favourably. Is Arms good value? Not sure, but if you're paying 25% more than everyone else you're less likely to think so.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2017 09:08:38
    Daz190uk wrote:
    Do it, Jive!

It's much better on the Pro controller though on my view.

I've had some great lobbies on this with some of the guys over at the n-Europe forums but it does need voice chat really.

I bought it.

And I suck. :(
  • Switch024 27 Jun 2017 10:19:49 3,107 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    The motion controls are also very waggly imo, especially the dash which I can't for the life of me work out how to do. Why couldn't they just have L for left dash R for right dash and then another button for the jump would have made more sense.
    There shouldn't be any waggle, you press L to dash to the side with which your joy-cons are leaning and R jumps in the same way.

Forward motion throws punches and you arc them by turning the joy-cons left or right.
  • THFourteen 27 Jun 2017 11:02:44 50,591 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    There shouldn't be any waggle, you press L to dash to the side with which your joy-cons are leaning and R jumps in the same way.

Forward motion throws punches and you arc them by turning the joy-cons left or right.
    Well it generally goes like this.

Shit I want to dash right, press dash button, move left joycons right, oh wait I've got right joycon pointing left so now I'm blocking

Shit I want to punch and dash left, move left joycon left, press button and move right joycon forward and arc, oh wait now it's doing a grab.
  • Switch024 27 Jun 2017 11:09:10 3,107 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think most will have had that experience at first, it does take a few goes to wrap your head the controls but once you know what you're doing it works very well.
  • THFourteen 27 Jun 2017 11:11:16 50,591 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    I think most will have had that experience at first, it does take a few goes to wrap your head the controls but once you know what you're doing it works very well.
    It was fun, but i couldnt help feeling all the while that if i had my oculus touch controllers it would be a whole new ball game.

maybe i've been spoiled by those
  • Duffking 27 Jun 2017 11:21:17 15,950 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Meh, just use a controller instead.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.