Arms Page 12

• Switch024 27 Jun 2017 11:23:41 3,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nah, controller is easier but it's not any better.
  • THFourteen 27 Jun 2017 11:26:53 50,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Nah, controller is easier but it's not any better.
    In my case making it easier might in itself make it better.

Will persevere for a little while though. As mentioned i'm generally rubbish at fast reaction games so a large element of it is me being shite.
  • Switch024 27 Jun 2017 11:35:28 3,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I play both ways as I play a fair bit in handheld mode when I can't get on the TV. It's fine with a controller and probably does make it easier to learn how to play the game.

For me though, it's more fun with the joy-con and I feel you get more control over your punches which makes the game easier later on.
  • THFourteen 27 Jun 2017 11:36:57 50,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do folks keep their distance or close? Or does it depend on which character you are using?

And whats a good noob character to start with, tried a few but only the spring man guy seemed to make huge amounts of sense to me so far... Generally went with L=Glove and R=triple rocket thing
  • Switch024 27 Jun 2017 11:52:45 3,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For me it does depend on who you're fighting and what arms they're using as well as your choices. For quick characters with arms that arc you'll normally want to be closing the distance, slower fighters with heavy arms are better to keep your distance from.

It's not really that simple though, online a lot of people use Ninjara (good noob character) and spam his dodge and grab move. I find it's actually better to keep your distance and use arc arms against them as they often dodge into them.

Edit - And it keeps you a safe distance away from the grab.

Edited by Switch024 at 11:53:53 27-06-2017
  • Duffking 27 Jun 2017 11:56:38 15,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You might as well use the controller to learn the game and then try motion controls after to see if you think you'll play better if you learn them.

It completely depends on your character and your opponent's character. For example I mostly use Min Min and it's important for me to keep my distance early usually since I need that distance to charge her dragon arm and keep it charged. It stays charged for ages or until I take a charged hit or grab. Getting that arm charged means I can continually pressure opponents, they either have to close in and risk taking a charged hit or get chipped away against. Once it's charged you can dictate the flow of the game. If I'm against Genji or Kid Cobra I'll really keep my distance because it's likely they'll just grab spam and distance and counter punches make that an easy win.

If I use Mechanica I'll usually stay in the middle range and try to just continually be throwing punches, usually so that I always have one arm ready to go in case of a grab.

Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are probably the easiest starters just because Spring Man's abilities are passive and Ribbon Girl's is easy to use.
  • Deleted user 28 June 2017 15:53:16
    I think I hate this. I'm waiting for it to click but in handheld mode I spend most of the time missing my punches.

Playing local mp may fix it but currently having no fun in grand prix mode.
  • Duffking 28 Jun 2017 16:47:29 15,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GP mode is kind of crappy anyway, the AI just input reads and I'm pretty sure certain limitations on movement/cooldowns/recovery don't apply to it as well. The party battles online are the core.
  • rice_sandwich 28 Jun 2017 16:53:02 4,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think this post from reddit sums up the appeal / lack thereof of Arms to different people: (not my post btw, just copy pasting it).

'Bombkirby 13h
    This is the first game in the series. The first game is always a "test" to see if it can stand on its own. Pikmin 1 for example has no voice acting and all in-engine cutscenes. It's sequels Pikmin 2 had many CGi animated cutscenes and the 3rd had a narrator voiced by a real person. Dumping thousands/millions into a campaign mode with cutscenes is a risky move for a first game so you should always expect it to be fairly simplistic if it's an original IP's first game.

Secondly this is a PvP game. 90% of PvP games have one basic mode. "Fight other people." Chess doesn't have a campaign, or mini-games, or unlockables. It is what it is. One of the most popular games right now, Overwatch, just launched with basic 6v6 mode and that was it. And it's only grown since then. This is the norm. The fun comes from how every fight with every player is different.

If you are not much of a PvP gamer, then this WILL be lost on you. A PvP fan can play the same game over and over because they spend all of their time improving and practicing, and fighting new opponents who offer a different challenge and strategy for them to overcome. It's up to the player (via practicing/honing skills) and all of their opponents (with their differing strategies) to craft the experiences, enjoyment, and things to do in the game. But someone who's more of a single-player fan is just going to see it as "the same thing over and over again" and they most likely will have no drive nor interest in strategizing and mastering every skill in the game. Thus it'll seem the same from day 1. I still am trying to master Spring Man's deflect ability, and dashing while punching, and how to manipulate Barq properly when player Barq/Byte. There's still so much to learn, and discover, so there is a lot of depth, as long as it appeals to the type of gamer you are.

Solving 5 different shrines in Zelda is the equivalent to figuring out how to defeat 5 different opponents in ARMs. However different kinds of players may or may not enjoy/understand where the puzzle solving comes from in either game.'
  • Daz190uk 28 Jun 2017 17:27:47 354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with most of that Reddit post.

I really, really like ARMS and I'm having a great time with it. I'm only really playing online though using the pro controller with a mix of party mode, ranked and some more organised evenings.

I'm not a fan of fighting games generally, I can't be bothered with learning combos etc but this is great tactical fighting and it really suits me in that way.
  • Deleted user 28 June 2017 18:28:50
    For sure I'm not playing it in the optimum conditions.

Shouting at my Switch like a nutter at the train station really isn't the way to go.

I haven't been in long enough to really play it at its best against other people, I'll remedy that at the weekend.
  • Saul_Iscariot 28 Jun 2017 22:38:28 3,051 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I went to see my Sister and Brother in Law last week. Took the Switch with me as their eldest son, aged six, loves his Wii U and 3DS. I showed him Arms and he said he didn't think he was ready to play it. So we played some MK8.

The next day he said he thought he was ready to try it. SO I fired up the game and gave him a health advantage. To try and keep him interested I thought I would go a little easy on him. Little bastard whooped me in the first of five. Second round thought I am not going easy on him, but the cheeky little fucker walloped me again. Next to rounds I was playing for pride and gave him my best and drew even, then he hammered me in the fifth and final round.

We played with the standard controller set up as I haven't gotten into the groove with the motion controls, but it is a lovely little game that is easy to drop into when I fancy a change from other games. It doesn't quite sit right compared to MK or Splatoon as a revolutionary take on an established genre, but it ain't half bad.
  • THFourteen 28 Jun 2017 23:42:07 50,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    I think I hate this. I'm waiting for it to click but in handheld mode I spend most of the time missing my punches.

Playing local mp may fix it but currently having no fun in grand prix mode.
    I also don't think I'll be keeping this too long.

It's not the punching that gets me but the utterly janky dash which just doesn't reliably work at all. I am bad enough at this game without not being able to go dodge a punch that I saw coming because of the controls.

Will try the pro controller tomorrow, but as it stands I can't see any way I'll ever beat rank 4 to even play a single online match.
  • Duffking 28 Jun 2017 23:53:21 15,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You don't need to beat rank 4 to do online matches.

I've literally never had the dash not work.
  • Decap 29 Jun 2017 07:33:17 142 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen Played enough fighting games to recognise "salt" when I see it. In the FGC the usual response to that is: Git gud. ;-)

Even tough it's an arrogant and provocative response it does hold some truth in the FGC. Every fighting game has a learning curve, and most players stop playing before they develop skills to beat people online. It's easier to just blame the controls, game balance, bad matchup, lag etc.
    Not enjoying the game at all though, not much to do about that. Although often fighting games suck you in once you learn to play them properly.
  • THFourteen 29 Jun 2017 11:47:24 50,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Decap

Totally hear you!

I knew i sucked at fighting games, bought it because a) got it on a deal and b) wanted something to play on my switch other than mario kart.

There is no way any amount of practice will make me "good" at this game, it's just not my sort of thing.

But i'm going to try the pro controller tonight, i think if i can at least move left and right when i want to, it'll be a lot more palatable.

@Duffking - are you sure? I tried an online ranked match yesterday and it told me i needed to beat rank 4 something something, i assumed was grand prix
  • Switch024 29 Jun 2017 11:50:22 3,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You need to beat Grand Prix at Level 4 for ranked online, but the online party mode you can just jump straight in.

That's probably where the most fun can be had, the game isn't quite as competitive and includes some of the mini games.

Edited by Switch024 at 11:50:40 29-06-2017
  • Devilligan 29 Jun 2017 11:54:37 565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Genuinely can't believe people are struggling with the motion controls. I found them completely intuitive after only a few games.

(Pro-tip: Find it helps if you can stand up in front of the TV.)

Edited by Devilligan at 12:02:23 29-06-2017
  • Duffking 29 Jun 2017 12:51:39 15,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I've used them once. It hurts my thumbs for some reason, if it used ZR/LR instead or L/R for the dodge and jump i'd find it a natural resting spot for my thumbs, but alas you can't change it.
  • Deleted user 29 June 2017 15:28:46
    I 'drift' far too much to make the motion controls intuitive for me, I lack the discipline to hold the joycons properly. I think It's mainly fatigue from work (I'm a chef) that's to blame. I find in handheld mode I whiff most punches because aiming isn't as intuitive.

I really hope it clicks, I think playing local will help as I'm floundering hard on GP 4.

I still have the urge to play it despite the issues so It's doing something right, it looks and sounds amazing.

Maybe one of you guys can school me?
  • Deleted user 29 June 2017 15:29:42
    Having block as L3 is fucking horrible too. Why?!
  • Saul_Iscariot 29 Jun 2017 16:30:56 3,051 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JiveHound Seconded. As someone who has struggled with the motion controls I have opted to use my pro controller. Why they use L3 when other buttons aren't being employed is baffling.
  • rice_sandwich 29 Jun 2017 16:45:09 4,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot

I'd heard it's like that to make each method of control equally difficult. You can't really have one control method being loads better than the other. Or so they say. Who knows, might be nonsense and they are just lazy.
  • Saul_Iscariot 29 Jun 2017 16:55:05 3,051 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @rice_sandwich That makes a certain amount of sense until people start to get the hang of motion controls. I wonder if they will monitor which control options people are using?
  • Deleted user 29 June 2017 19:58:00
    Okay, so I'm starting to 'get' it I think. Motion controls against Kid Cobra on 4 and I reacted more than instigated.

Soundly beat the cunt and it felt pretty good. Blocking feels so much better using motion controls that I use it much more.
  • Duffking 12 Jul 2017 14:14:51 15,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone tried the new character?

I can't hit shit with him for some reason. Stuff that would be dead on like blocking a punch with a punch with other characters feels like it just flat out doesn't work at close range with him. Like his wider body means up close punches just don't do anything. Punches going dead straight against opponents right in front just miss.
  • THFourteen 12 Jul 2017 14:23:19 50,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds like all the characters to me :-)

Sold mine on fleabay for 35, put the change towards splatoon 2, maybe i'll be less rubbish at that.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2017 17:18:26
    I really need to play more of this, I've just been so wiped out from work that I haven't dared load it up.

Just been playing Gonner mainly.
  • Daz190uk 12 Jul 2017 21:28:43 354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like Max Brass so far but still testing him. I'm less looking forward to testing my good old Kid Cobra who has been merged.

Events look intriguing...
  • Jono62 22 Aug 2017 17:01:50 21,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's another global testpunch for this game from 16:00 on 25th to 21:00 on 27th.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.