Arms Page 13

Next Last
  • ghearoid 22 Aug 2017 17:06:55 3,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ace. I've been wanting to try this game. I'll definitely be flailing my arms around in front of the telly this weekend.
  • H1ggyLTD 12 Nov 2017 14:10:38 11,236 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How do i do a Super?
  • bef 13 Nov 2017 20:41:23 1,736 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD

Do you mean that frenzied black and yellow state in which you can hit super fast? That's the left shoulder button ("L") if I recall correctly. Have been playing this game for a couple of hours. Really like it. Stil have to find out the best control option (joy cons versus pro controller), but I often get into a Street Fighter slash Tekken like vibe during play. It just plays well and feels deep. With great characters and gloves that steal the show.
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Nov 2017 20:43:14 11,236 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I keep forgetting those buttons are there, you know.
  • minky-kong 15 Nov 2017 11:33:18 14,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Toying between getting this or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Christmas as a multiplayer game. I already had MK8 on the Wii U so buying it at full price again rankles slightly, but I'm not sure if Arms will be what I'm after.

Apologies if these questions are already been answered in this thread, but...

Can Arms be played locally with each player using one joycon each, or will I need to buy another set/a pro controller?

Is it the sort of game where someone who has played for a while will absolutely dominate newcomers, or is it a bit more balanced to make it fun for casual players?

Is there much single player content?
  • rice_sandwich 15 Nov 2017 11:40:35 4,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yes for single joycons. Its not ideal but it works. Yes, the better player will trash a newbie and there is a fairly limited amount of single player content.

On the other hand it's pretty easy to pick up and play. It's basically a tactical boxing simulator where you have to pick and choose your punches. As it's a fighting game it's all about getting good at and enjoying the fighting. That's about all there is to it. Mario Kart is a lot more accessible and the fun is more easily accessible, if that makes sense.

While I like it a lot it's not a game that's easy to recommend.
  • rice_sandwich 15 Nov 2017 11:43:56 4,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Actually, the main issue with Arms is that while it's fun it's not particularly funny. It feels like it should be more light hearted than it is.
  • minky-kong 15 Nov 2017 12:05:37 14,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Thanks for the answers, it sounds like it's probably not the one for me as accessibility and balance are key to getting the girlfriend to play something that I won't thrash her at every time.

It's a shame there isn't a demo either so I can at least see if I'll get on with it enough to persist at playing online.

Edited by minky-kong at 12:06:23 15-11-2017
  • bef 24 Nov 2017 19:31:36 1,736 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Holy crap this game is something. Even without reading the EG love letter from a couple of weeks ago, I realise Arms is extremely well made. Sure, it is especially great if you know your Mark of the Wolves from your Mortal Kombat's. But I'm guessing a lot of people are enjoying it who normally don't buy fighting games.

I really like (2d) fighters. From Punch Out! and Yie are Kung Fu to Tekken and SF. But I am not too good at them so when I go online I get beaten all the time. With this game it seems there is a broader skilled range of gamers playing. Or the matching algorithm works better. Because I get to play people that I can actually beat. Or lose to in a close manner.

Also, the smoothness of the game is incredible. Not to mention the sympathetic characters: and those gloves are really characteristic themselves.

What I also like is that it is easier to figure out how to play around 'move spammers.'

Ah whatever. This is a true videogame of a bygone era: instant thrills, but more than enough depth and (skills needed) to become really good at it.
  • bef 30 Nov 2017 13:04:51 1,736 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Don't bite the arm that feeds you, fighting / arcade game enthousiast:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-30-arms-just-got-another-new-playable-character

:-)
  • Gaol 10 Jan 2018 22:58:36 3,366 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought this in the sale yesterday. I finished level 4 today, and am really pleased I managed to do so without launching the switch across the room. Holy shit it's difficult.
  • Gaol 13 Jan 2018 02:45:22 3,366 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know this thread is dead and no one cares but this is a seriously good game. Theres a huge barrier of entry, you need to power through 5 - 10 hours of frustration and learning until it clicks and then it's just brilliant and hugely addictive. The different characters and arms are so well thought out and balanced.

I hope it gets a price cut and more folk try it.
  • papalazarou 31 Mar 2018 09:16:49 121 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    currently enjoying the demo....online lobby works well and had plenty of hassle free games this morning.
  • Malek86 31 Mar 2018 11:34:51 8,044 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can I play against my friends? It looks like you can only join against randoms?
  • The_Goon 8 Dec 2018 19:37:12 1,167 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Played this yesterday for the first time with my son. Bloody brilliant. Had loads of fun. Tried a few of the training sessions after he went to sleep because he hammered me all too easily in a few of the fights. Any tips? Canít have the bugger beating me more! Itís clearly a much more nuanced game than just throwing random punches.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Dec 2018 20:30:52 4,782 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @The_Goon grabs are OP
  • Duffking 10 Dec 2018 22:21:59 15,950 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @The_Goon people who grab a lot are the easiest to beat however, just alternate punches so you don't have downtime and laugh as they ragequit
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.