Splatoon 2 Page 222

• Jono62 15 Dec 2018 17:48:55 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Taking a while to get a game this Splatfest.
  • Ienjoysquid 15 Dec 2018 20:18:08 303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Taking a while to get a game this Splatfest.
    I haven't played for a while since I rage quit due to downranking on every level apart from Tower Control.

Turned on yesterday, Clam Blitz. Turned off.
    Turned on again yesterday, 15 minutes of Splat Zones, lost every game, switched over to Clam Blitz, turned off.

Played this morning: Played 15 games. First 4, disconnects on my team. Next 3, intentional game throwers I blocked.

Intermission due to seeing "Connection lost..." messages.

Eventually got a game, shot at people - watched my shots not even register. Hit once by 4 - 6 shot weapons and died instantly. Watched someone swim through an area with no ink at all while I shot at him helplessly. He then pops up in front of my and one shots me with a tentatek.

I used to love this game but Nintendo online doesn't love me.

ThatSRB2Dude was even on Twitch the other night saying the game is dying due to Nintendo's inability to sort out lag.
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Dec 2018 22:25:19 5,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Since Nintendo Online went live, matchmaking seems to have gone global, which obviously means lag has increased somewhat.
  • Jono62 15 Dec 2018 22:26:50 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They need dedicated servers if they are doing that.
  • Jono62 16 Dec 2018 09:30:41 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ienjoysquid I've been lucky in that it's very rare that sort of thing happens when I play.
  • Ienjoysquid 16 Dec 2018 11:15:12 303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Since Nintendo Online went live, matchmaking seems to have gone global, which obviously means lag has increased somewhat.
    I know, the online experience is worse now we're paying for it.
  • Ienjoysquid 16 Dec 2018 11:17:01 303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    @Ienjoysquid I've been lucky in that it's very rare that sort of thing happens when I play.
    My experience got a bit worse when I switched from Sky to BT (due to a cashback deal) but I don't think it's all down to that. I think they matchmake you based on latency or something. I am moaning and it isn't every game, but it's a big minority of them (in my case).
  • Ienjoysquid 16 Dec 2018 13:17:20 303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought I'd spend an hour playing Splatfest this morning. I played 15 games.

First four games, four straight losses with a disconnect from the off on my team, every time.

Fifth game, disconnect on their team followed by a disconnect on my team. Won, but not recorded as "Communication error" popped up as soon as the final whistle went.

Out of the remaining 10 games I played with an equal number of players on each side twice.

Twice in 15 games. One game was ace, really close and exciting. The other was a laggy mess.

I really used to enjoy Splatoon but I think I might be done. Nintendo are not doing a good job with their online service.
  • Jono62 18 Dec 2018 22:52:05 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ienjoysquid Just experienced what you have been having. Disconnects on my side. Hitting people with no effect.
  • Duffking 19 Dec 2018 16:58:13 16,160 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've had that sort of shit since day 1
  • Thingy 3 Jan 2019 23:58:46 7,383 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ienjoysquid Thought I'd join you tonight but you must have been playing Clam Blitz.

There's a new ability, powers up your main weapon, so thought I'd grab a couple of those. Been out of the loop for a few weeks, when did that happen?
  • Ienjoysquid 4 Jan 2019 01:12:33 303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually did play Clam Blitz... And sort of enjoyed it. Would be up for some League.

I only came back the other day so similarly confused. Managed to get to X rank for Tower Control but can barely get out of S+1 for everything else.

Edited by Ienjoysquid at 01:13:38 04-01-2019
  • Thingy 5 Jan 2019 00:32:23 7,383 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus, Another Splatfest.
  • Deleted user 5 January 2019 01:47:28
    so... thinking about buying this in the sale, but appears (from posts above) like it may be unplayable post-nintendo online?
  • Pipedream 5 Jan 2019 06:26:18 471 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @the-cozen-show Iíve never had any issues apart from a very rare player disconnect.

I play Splatoon in the dock with a LAN adapter. Maybe the WiFi is a bit pants?
  • Jono62 5 Jan 2019 09:13:02 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thingy wrote:
    Jesus, Another Splatfest.
    Boring. I want to play clam blitz.
  • Ienjoysquid 6 Jan 2019 13:35:35 303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the-cozen-show wrote:
    so... thinking about buying this in the sale, but appears (from posts above) like it may be unplayable post-nintendo online?
    It's not unplayable but it is inconsistent. It's very frustrating if you're trying to rank up in Solo Q where a few losses can make the difference between deranking or moving a step closer to X; it's hard to see how Nintendo's stated commitment to making Splatoon a proper E-sport is being carried through when their online is so flaky.

For example, I was playing the other day and out of 10 games or so there were only 3 where both teams started and finished with 4 players. If you're in a team which is a squid down you generally can't win. But you can't disconnect either or you get punished. Nintendo forces you to slog through four pointless minutes, or until the other team knocks you out.

If your team mate DCed in the first minute it shouldn't count against you, but after that you get penalised for losing as though you had a full team. And that happens all the time since they started charging for online.

It's got so much worse recently too. On one game I started with yet another team-mate DC before the game had even begun so there were only 3 of us in the spawn. So we had a squid party, played a bit, then inevitably lost. But a 4th player was recorded on the results screen: a sniper rifle who apparently got 2 kills and used 4 specials. Invisibly. I then got a crack and lost my progress, thanks game.

A later game yet another teammate DC'd but we managed to hang on for the win. But instead of the win screen at the end I got a disconnect message and when I restarted again it had punished me with a de-rank. Thanks a bundle game.

It's so fun when it works properly though.
  • Thingy 6 Jan 2019 19:35:48 7,383 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's weird how much disparity there is between people's experiences.

I get maybe 1 in 5 where someone disconnects, and 1 in 10 where it's a d/c on my team. It's annoying when it happens, but I definitely benefit from the easy wins as much as I'm hurt by the losses.
  • DangerousDave_87 6 Jan 2019 22:37:07 5,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It tends to come and go in waves for me, but I blame my connection for that. Some nights are perfect. Others are a slog, but I moan about it for hours as that's all I want to play.
  • The_Goon 8 Jan 2019 11:13:43 1,236 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Same position as cozen_show. I had no idea about the issues but the posts above give me pause for thought, especially when I would be spending £30 on a digital version. Bloody shame. I was about to pounce on it this evening...and may still do...
  • Jono62 8 Jan 2019 11:29:44 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do it, it's great. I always have a smile on my face when playing (except when I'm cursing my slow reflexes). It's very rare to have issues, but it seems to come in patches. I play handheld and it's probably Nintendo's shitty wifi receiver why I have issues.

It's a dream to play and the various weapons keep it interesting. I usually rotate weapons when playing as well.

Hmm, haven't played in 2 weeks. Will be rusty when I do play. Damn wedding taking over life right now.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Jan 2019 11:40:22 5,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd also say 'go for it'. I don't play so much these days, but I clocked up a good 240 hours playtime. I'd argue that the latency issues are no worse than I experienced with Battlefield 1 on PS4. You get your up's and down, but they're mostly ups.

I'd still be playing it if a) I had the time, and b) didn't have a backlog of games on the side.
  • Jono62 9 Jan 2019 10:14:59 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://splatoon2tournament.com/

Anyone who wants to try a tournament can use this join a team. Would be fun to try.
  • Jono62 9 Jan 2019 22:01:24 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woah, I'm rusty.
  • Jono62 14 Jan 2019 23:27:08 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers for the games, Thingy.

Heh, the top sentence comes up when I type cheers in my tablet.
  • Thingy 14 Jan 2019 23:33:43 7,383 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good to get back in the groove after a while away.
  • scoobysi 15 Jan 2019 14:54:46 1,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I havenít paid for Online yet as Splatoon is the only reason for me to do so, Iíve been thinking about it but canít believe the experience is worse now. I presume theyíve gone global as there are a lot fewer players? Are there any stats anywhere on number of players?
  • Jono62 15 Jan 2019 15:15:05 22,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played for 40 minutes last night with Thingy and had zero issues apart from being rusty.

It varies from session to session, but it is definitely gone global.
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Jan 2019 17:48:51 5,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There will be no shortage of Japanese players, that's for sure.
  • Thingy 15 Jan 2019 23:08:14 7,383 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tend not to have issues online as others have reported.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.