Terminator 6 from James Cameron and Tim Miller Page 15

• the_milkybar_kid 30 Aug 2019 18:43:42 8,034 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still looks like balls. Why does Linda Hamilton take weird pauses in sentences?
  • adamasunder12 30 Aug 2019 18:49:20 727 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    For dramatic
  • adamasunder12 30 Aug 2019 18:49:26 727 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    effect
  • adamasunder12 30 Aug 2019 18:50:56 727 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Derblington wrote:
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    Whoa there sonny. You're mixing up critical reception with box office sales.
    Then you can't use Avatar as a poor example. It was received well (look at any metascores and it's up there) and it made all the money until Avengers.
    Fair enough,

I just assumed it was universally derided. Like it should have been. Most self indulgent wank I've seen since I bought some fancy hand lotion.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Aug 2019 18:57:03 21,246 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was well-regarded at the time, but aside from the impressive technology it didn't have any staying power. Because the actual movie was a bit shit.
  • anephric 30 Aug 2019 19:00:58 3,389 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think Avatar's bad, but I never got the love for the Rodney Matthews-esque 70s prog-rock look. I guess it was something different and escapist.

Be interesting to see how hard the first sequel flops.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Aug 2019 19:03:35 21,246 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know that the sequel will flop. It does certainly seem like nobody really gives a shit about Avatar now, but James Cameron could shit in a bag and probably make hundreds of millions from it. He does know his blockbusters.
  • Fake_Blood 30 Aug 2019 19:15:17 9,665 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked Aliens, the Abyss, Terminator 2 and Titanic. He was on a roll there from '86 up till '96.
  • Dandy11 30 Aug 2019 19:35:05 101 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I liked Aliens, the Abyss, Terminator 2 and Titanic. He was on a roll there from '86 up till '96.
    And don't forget true lies
  • beastmaster 30 Aug 2019 19:45:35 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heís working on 4K HDR transfers of True Lies and The Abyss.

Iím sure Disney will re-release Avatar before Avatar 2 comes out Xmas next year(?). Probably take Endgames highest grossing film back in the process.

Avatar 2 is not going to be observed for how hard it flops but how fast itíll cross $2 billion. Yeah, nobody gives a shit at the moment but when that first teaser comes out and Disney start cranking up that hype train, people will be clambering to see it.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 30 Aug 2019 20:01:29 2,039 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Cameron hasn't made a bad film ever, piranha 2 knows it's shit. Abyss created the "special edition" and had Michael bein at his fucking best.

Avatar is a boring mess that is well above average.
  • Stuz359 30 Aug 2019 20:48:48 140 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Avatar was a decent film, but came at a certain point, which was almost a perfect storm. It was visually stunning, but also the poster boy for 3d, so everyone went to see it at cinema. Certainly not the greatest film of all time.
  • anephric 30 Aug 2019 20:49:51 3,389 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I don't know that the sequel will flop. It does certainly seem like nobody really gives a shit about Avatar now, but James Cameron could shit in a bag and probably make hundreds of millions from it. He does know his blockbusters.
    Alita was his baby and that's probably just about scraped even.
  • anephric 30 Aug 2019 20:53:00 3,389 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I will be amazed if Avatar 2 can summon up anything like the box office momentum of the first: we're in a different age of Marvel now and half of Avatar's box office probably was driven by the tech ie the bleeding edge of 3D. The sequel won't have anything like that going for it. Plus the sheer amount of time that's elapsed.
  • Fake_Blood 30 Aug 2019 22:15:16 9,665 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember at the time people went crazy over Avatar though. I remember reading about people being depressed that it wasnít real or something.
  • Tomo 30 Aug 2019 22:56:25 16,703 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmm, that trailer isn't great. It can't decide whether it wants to be a throwback/reboot film or something much grander. It looks like it hits a lot of the same beats as T1/T2... prison scene, lorry fights, naked Terminator taking out bozos, "I'll be back", etc etc. But then it hints at a massive CGI set piece of some plane falling out of the sky. Gah.
  • Ultrasoundwave 30 Aug 2019 23:07:53 5,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iíve only just realised that David S. Fucking Goyer (to give him his full title) has written this.

So.....expect it to be shite.
  • beastmaster 30 Aug 2019 23:28:31 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hasnít Cameron developed some 3D underwater motion capture technique for Avatar 2? I remember going to a free 15 minute preview of this at the IMAX and being blown away. I can see them doing the same thing with this. I do honestly think the effects in this film will be just as much of a leap as Avatar was when it first came out.

If it really, really does tank badly then he will go off and work on some other films that he was attached to before Avatar. Not that he ever would but Iíd love to see Cameron have a go at doing a Star Wars film.
  • up_the_ante 31 Aug 2019 01:41:19 1,098 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Still looks like balls. Why does Linda Hamilton take weird pauses in sentences?
    Sounds like she smokes 60 a day too
  • Dandy11 31 Aug 2019 13:53:26 101 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a28871583/terminator-dark-fate-james-cameron-more-sequels/
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Aug 2019 14:05:08 16,769 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I will be amazed if Avatar 2 can summon up anything like the box office momentum of the first: we're in a different age of Marvel now and half of Avatar's box office probably was driven by the tech ie the bleeding edge of 3D. The sequel won't have anything like that going for it. Plus the sheer amount of time that's elapsed.
    I wonder what Cameron has planned. Heís absolutely brilliant at using PR to stir up excitement and turn his films into events. I wouldnít be surprised if there is some new crazy VR 3D tech for the Avatar sequels or something.
  • Malek86 31 Aug 2019 14:51:53 8,755 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe he doesn't need to cook up anything new. Even if it doesn't come anywhere close to the tally of the original, an eventual Avatar 2 could still easily get past $1 billions if they just market it right.

Besides, we seem to live in an era when getting to a billion dollars isn't even that hard. Even counting for inflation, people are arguably going to the cinema more than ever. The rise of China as a big-numbers market must have helped a lot.

Edited by Malek86 at 15:00:33 31-08-2019
  • Khanivor 31 Aug 2019 15:01:05 44,105 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Out of tens upon tens of thousands of movies and thousands of directors thereís one director who instill a few months ago had made the two most successful movies made in over 100 years.

Thatís a level of rarity I wouldnít be in a hurry to dismiss just because Iím the kind of genius who gets why Avatar is just a rip off of Fern Gully
  • Darth_Flibble 31 Aug 2019 15:51:55 3,600 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    $404.9 million box office on $170 million budget
  • beastmaster 31 Aug 2019 16:02:25 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Maybe he doesn't need to cook up anything new. Even if it doesn't come anywhere close to the tally of the original, an eventual Avatar 2 could still easily get past $1 billions if they just market it right.

Besides, we seem to live in an era when getting to a billion dollars isn't even that hard. Even counting for inflation, people are arguably going to the cinema more than ever. The rise of China as a big-numbers market must have helped a lot.
    Only around 42 films have ever made more than a $1 billion. Up until about 10(?) years ago it was a seemingly impossible task. But it is becoming more common...if youíre Disney.

$2 billion is the nut to crack now. Nobody has yet reached $3 billion yet but itíll probably happen in the next few years. Marvel have not got an Infinity War or Endgame type film coming for a good few years. If anyone can do it, itíll be Cameron. Maybe if they do Star Wars right the next trilogy in 3 years time may have a chance but China doesnít give a fuck, so probably not. Itíll probably be a Transformers film or some shit like that.

Anyhow, Iím looking forward to this now. Kind of hope it does it does well for olí Arnie. Maybe then weíll get King Conan, which Iím well up for.

Edited by beastmaster at 16:02:41 31-08-2019
  • Mola_Ram 31 Aug 2019 16:04:59 21,246 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I personally think Avatar's time has come and gone, but If anyone has the ability to make a successful "event" movie outside of the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars universe these days, it'll be James Cameron. He could make it work.

Whether it's actually any good or not is another matter entirely.
  • anephric 31 Aug 2019 16:08:28 3,389 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    anephric wrote:
    $404.9 million box office on $170 million budget
    That's break even.
  • beastmaster 31 Aug 2019 16:18:25 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heís scheduled to direct The Informationist somewhere between the Avatar films. Probably between 3 and 4. Disney will just leave him the fuck alone and let him do what he wants. Very, very few filmmakers get that freedom. So if he does turn out a steaming pile of shit, he canít claim studio interference.
  • neilka 31 Aug 2019 16:35:37 22,656 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I personally think Avatar's time has come and gone, but If anyone has the ability to make a successful "event" movie outside of the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars universe these days, it'll be James Cameron. He could make it work.

Avatar is part of the Disney universe now, as are we all destined to be.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Aug 2019 16:37:09 21,246 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Avatar is part of the Disney universe now, as are we all destined to be.
    Is... is there anything they don't own?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.