PS4 Platinum Headset

First Previous
  • ThrowingTuba 24 Jan 2017 09:58:19 155 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just picked this up yesterday after reading some favourable reviews and set it up last night.

While they sound fantastic, though I've only tried BF1 so far, there is a constant very low level static / hum in the right headphone.

As BF1 is such a loud game it doesn't register but I'm a little concerned what the experience will be like with a quiet game...

I don't have huge experience using wireless headphones, is this normal / unavoidable? Can it be fixed with a firmware update? Any suggestions?
  • Spectral 24 Jan 2017 10:05:04 6,282 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have the older sony headset and there is no hum in those. Also since its only coming through one side that means its not likely interference. Unfortunately it sounds like they're faulty.
  • ChiefGB 24 Jan 2017 10:13:32 11,303 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do suffer something similar with the old wireless set, but I think it's over both ears and is very subtle, but I have noticed it when a game is totally silent (which in any game isn't that often really)
  • ThrowingTuba 24 Jan 2017 10:24:17 155 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, I've just had another look at the EG review and it looks like a couple of other people are experiencing exactly the same thing in the comments.

There is no noise when they are plugged in with the stereo cable, but this doesn't allow 7.1. How annoying, why can't things just work...

Guess I'll be taking them back this week, not sure whether to try another pair if it seems common.
  • CompetitiveDad 24 Jan 2017 12:13:38 8,168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ThrowingTuba have you tried the Sony 2.0's ? If not I couldn't recommend them enough.

I can't justify the price of these seeing as only Uncharted 4 supports the main feature of the headphones.
  • ThrowingTuba 24 Jan 2017 13:04:06 155 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad They seem really good, but I'm coming off a pair of Sennheiser Hd280pros which are really loud, so I'm concerned the smaller speakers might be a bit of a let down (though probably good for my hearing in the long run!).

People are complaining about the exact same problem on Playstation's site and on Amazon, so if it is a fault, it's very common.

I'll see if there is a firmware update I missed and will reset the dongle, if that doesn't work then I'll return them and try another pair, if that doesn't work I'll fashion something out of some string and tin cans...
  • ChiefGB 24 Jan 2017 21:37:09 11,303 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do get mine cutting out briefly occasionally (again 2.0 set) which is a bit annoying but only for half a sec or so.
  • MadCaddy13 11 Feb 2017 16:25:01 3,035 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Took my headset back today because of the buzzing noise. These ones came with wrapping round where the buttons are on the ear cups - I'm pretty sure my old ones didn't have this. No buzzing at all. I reckon the first wave were the faulty ones
  • davidfontneau 11 Feb 2017 19:32:55 27 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ThrowingTuba I have the Platinum as well and I love the 3D audio. I tried it out in Uncharted 4 which I believe is the only game currently compatible with 3D audio and its phenomenal. In regards to your buzzing noise have you tried hooking it up to the headset companion app to see if a firmware update is available?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Dec 2017 11:11:23 20,643 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone got a pair of these? Thinking of picking them up to replace my 2.0 ones but a few of the reviews mention a buzzing sound on them, is that still a problem?
  • MadCaddy13 20 Jan 2018 09:48:52 3,035 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Decks
    Donít know if youíve got them or not but Iíve had these for almost a year now and they are still bang on. Best headset Iíve owned. If you can find a good deal go for it. If you buy them new and theyíve not got wrapping around the bottoms on the edge of the ear cups, take them back though. Iím pretty sure theyíll go faulty eventually... the buzzing noise comes
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 20 Jan 2018 10:01:20 20,643 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I ended up getting some from amazon for about 99 quid I think. They were way too tight for my melon head to begin with but they've loosened off now. They're pretty great. Shame nothing really supports the 3D sound. I've tried Horizon and it sounded great.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 20 Jan 2018 10:14:21 20,643 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Actually I just bought Hellblade last night, didn't realise that supported it too.
  • CompetitiveDad 20 Jan 2018 13:18:36 8,168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How does the sound without the 3D audio enabled compare to that of the Sony 2.0's?

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 13:18:49 20-01-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 20 Jan 2018 13:29:00 20,643 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The sound in general is a lot punchier and more bassy. The surround is noticeable better as well. The difference isn't huge as the 2.0 where great anyway but there's a definite improvement. I only bought them as my 2.0's were fucked. For the money they're probably not worth upgrading just for the sake of it imo.

Edited by Decks at 13:39:46 20-01-2018
  • CompetitiveDad 20 Jan 2018 13:32:23 8,168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Decks cheers for the info, if I can nab a pair for under £100 I'll pick a set up.
  • gooner77 3 Feb 2018 11:00:48 1,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine broke after a few months, in wireless mode the left headphone stopped producing sound and they only work now in wired mode.

They are also very uncomfortable over the top of my head and dig into my scalp after a while. Not recommended at all
  • Rodderz 15 Jun 2018 22:29:03 3,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has anyone tried the Gold version of the Sony headset? These are the 2018 'New' Gold wireless model. I can get them for Ä60 currently. Worth it?
  • Switch024 15 Jun 2018 22:41:25 3,394 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah definitely, for the price I think they're a good buy. I got them for God of War and was impressed, can hear everything perfectly clear, they have a really nice warm tone to them and they're pretty comfortable.

The headband is quite bendy and seems really durable which wasn't the case for the older model so whilst they don't fold down they should last a lot longer.
  • Rodderz 15 Jun 2018 22:51:49 3,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Switch024

Thanks for the reply Switch, might give them a go then 👍
  • CompetitiveDad 24 Nov 2018 13:03:53 8,168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rodderz hello. Did you pick a pair of the new Sony Gold headphones up? Opinions.. 😀

Decks - how are you your Sony Platinums holding up, battery life okay?

Both are currently on offer and would like to replace my wrecked 2.0's

Platinum - £89.99
    2018 Gold's - £49.99

I'd normally just purchase but the reviews are divided on both sets, probably more to do with faulty and shitty manufacturing, like the PS4's it's a bit of a lottery if you get a good one or not!

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 13:12:53 24-11-2018
  • dominalien 24 Nov 2018 14:18:45 9,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got the gold headset some months ago. It is splendid. The app is rather clunky and there werenít many profiles when I last looked, so I never used it after the first week or so. It really does go together with PSVR well.

I decided against the Platinum because of price and some divided opinions.
  • CompetitiveDad 24 Nov 2018 14:22:04 8,168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @dominalien did you have the Sony 2.0's?
  • Rodderz 24 Nov 2018 14:22:51 3,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad

Hi! Yeah I got them in the end and they were pretty good; comfortable, very flexible headband, good sound including a button for a surround sound mode. You can also access some PS4 profiles from the headset app downloaded onto the PS4 that wouldn't be available for 3rd party headsets. I read that the older Sony headsets were prone to snapping on some of the earpiece hinges but that has been rectified with the new design of the golds. For £50 I'd say they're a decent buy and you'd be unlikely to find something better at that price level.

Unfortunately, I had to send them back in the end for personal reasons, as I have mild tinnitus in one of my ears and it was playing up a bit having sound fed directly into that ear again, a result of listening to way too much loud headphone music during my younger years :D So I'm back to using a 5.1 surround sound system which doesn't cause me a problem.
  • MrWonderstuff 24 Nov 2018 14:24:04 2,988 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got the Platinum and they are good. However, have issues where the sound would get muffled (or disappears) on the left speaker - it corrects itself but is a pain when it happends. Battery life is ok - around six hours or so. Sound is good - the surround is effective as well.
  • dominalien 24 Nov 2018 14:26:56 9,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad

No, I had the very first Sony PS headset. It had an audible hiss and the soft material started flaking after a couple of years, so it wasnít particularly good. In the end I sat down on them and it gave me the push to get a new one.
  • StixxUK 24 Nov 2018 14:38:06 8,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm looking for a decent wireless headset that'll work with everything - TV, Switch and PC as well as PS4. Is this it?
  • gooner77 24 Nov 2018 14:42:23 1,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    I've got the Platinum and they are good. However, have issues where the sound would get muffled (or disappears) on the left speaker - it corrects itself but is a pain when it happends. Battery life is ok - around six hours or so. Sound is good - the surround is effective as well.
    I have had this issue continuously since purchase and wouldn't recommend the Platinum at all.
    Does anyone know if the latest gold headsets are any good?
  • CompetitiveDad 24 Nov 2018 15:54:22 8,168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers for the replies everyone and the in depth review Rodderz! 😀

I'll pick up the new gold's. My current headsets are now flaking away and the material is starting to come away from the cups, I've never had an issue with the hinges unlike a lot of others although they have had plenty of use and I've easily had my money's worth out of them.

Thanks again
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.