Project Cars 2 Page 2

Next Last
  • SomaticSense 2 Feb 2017 12:28:24 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it's a solid game. Which makes it all the more frustrating that they buggered up so much of the simple stuff, and came across as dismissive cunts to anyone who dared to level-headedly point out that stuff out. Branding any constructive criticism from those who bought your game as hate or trolling is not a good look.

I don't get the criticisms of the career though, as some progression quirks aside (oh, you did well in Clio Cup and a bunch of amateur invitationals? Here's an LMP2 contract. Too much too soon? Oh well, here's yet another Clio Cup renewal!) I found it far, far more immersive and rewarding than the bland Gold/Silver/Bronze singular 'events' of the likes of Forza and GT. Not for everyone, but it's an alternative approach that I thought the sim genre desperately needed.
  • SomaticSense 2 Feb 2017 12:35:54 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Also, I should point out that a large swathe of obvious bugs are still present in PCars 1 (as of at least a month ago) that they ignored. It needs to be beared in mind before buying the sequel, as it's yet to be proven that they can do better while cramming in even more content. I have my doubts that a bigger project will lead to better polish.

Such as : Pile ups on Monaco's chicane because the AI can't deal with it. Broken rolling starts on some circuits. The fuel bug that confuses 'laps' with 'litres', which will ruin your race if you aren't aware of it (it's not random either, it will happen every time if you change your fuel level in qually and then proceed to the race without quitting). Hilarious 'turbo' rumble strips on a specific kart track, which gives you a big boost of speed Mario Kart-style instead of slowing you down.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:39:57 02-02-2017
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Feb 2017 21:12:52 4,241 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Its pretty shitty they have fixed the same old broken bugs while the devs tell everyone to fuck off and cum on the fanboys. Will give the 1st game a go but by putting on Games with Gold they are opening them to more criticism
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Jun 2017 14:18:42 24,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Physics sound a lot better

• KnuttinAtoll 7 Jul 2019 22:06:16 8,140 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nvm

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 22:12:56 07-07-2019
  • Rodney 5 May 2020 00:08:44 4,398 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone playing this after it going on Games with Gold?

It seems playable with a controller, unlike the first game, and the track selection is brilliant.

Only played in the FR open wheel championship so far but having a lot of fun with it.

Each race feels like an actual event with practice laps, qualifiers and race rules, cold/warm tyres, getting directions from put crew, and variable weather conditions. it's one of the few racing games where you can win a championship without placing first in every race. Sometimes just gaining a few places on the grid feels like a win.

It exposes a lot of flaws with the Forza formula (boring 3 lap races, repetitive/limited track selection, broken AI/balancing, racing against different random set of AI players each race, needing to win every race to get anywhere) in comparison, even though Forza is a lot more polished and has, I think, a more satisfying handling model.
  • Overmegasixwave 5 May 2020 08:56:15 97 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gave it a shot at the weekend with a mate who is a fan but while it's playable on a controller the cars handling felt off even after spending ages tweaking the various settings. Tried some settings recommended by various youtubers as well but still doesn't feel right.

Did really enjoy the rallycross events, at least with them you can get past some of those issues and just throw the car into corners. Can't really do that trying to get a GT4 around the Nordschleife.

Can't fault the presentation though, like you say the events actually feel like a race meeting and the list of tracks is very impressive.

If I could afford a decent steering wheel I'd be able to get a lot more out of it.
  • Dirt3 5 May 2020 11:30:49 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    P Cars.

Where can I start ?

First game was released with questionable controller on Xbox. By the time they patched it a lot of people had ditched it. Great game I thought though and also fro P Cars 2.

I was shocked to see Codies had taken SMS over. I thought Ian Bell was too much of his own man to last long working for someone else. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts.

Codies probably have more polish on their games. And the controllers have always been sublime. The Dirt controls in my opinion are the best.

SMS the games are more simlike and are a step up in simulation from Grid and F1 series. They also have laser scanned tracks and full realtime telemetry which codemasters have never done, probably because it would reveal too many fudges. Also I believe their netcode is better than Codies (endless complaints about the F1 netcode), and they have at least some VR capability.

What I would like to see is something like a classic season of F1 implemented in PCars as a DLC add on. They have most of the tracks already. That should allow them to test the waters for a PCars engine in F1.

PCars 3 for the next gen is almost a certainty. Then the big question is what does the joint team do for F1, which is probably the place where the most improvement can come.
  • Rodney 5 May 2020 14:30:04 4,398 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I would have thought they would be more likely to resurrect the TOCA games. Seems like a better fit for Project Cars.

If they refine the pad controls a bit and add a bit of polish (fancy animations for pit crew / more dynamic dialogue) it could be pretty good.
  • KD 5 May 2020 14:44:04 2,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I cant see F1 being added, the contract I feel would be to base games around it only if I had to guess.
  • Dirt3 5 May 2020 14:55:34 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KD wrote:
    I cant see F1 being added, the contract I feel would be to base games around it only if I had to guess.
    I think codies argument is that F1 is a popular sport and if they make it too sim like then it will lose a lot of non sim racer players.

Still, I think PCars would be an excellent place to have some vintage F1.

I would love to have some of the 80's /90's seasons. Maybe they could even do both, have the F1 cars in the F1 games and also in PCars.

This F1 season looks like a disaster to me anyway, so it would be a great time to experiment.

Edit : Thinking about it the merger of Codies and SMS should be able to produce some great games if handled correctly. In reality though, it will probably end up being a cluster**** with all of the drawbacks and non of the benefits.

Edited by Dirt3 at 15:07:26 05-05-2020
  • KD 5 May 2020 16:24:09 2,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I dont think Liberty Media would let that happen, conditions on the agreement I'd like to see. No matter the sim level I just dont think they want other motorsports in the product unless its a direct feeder series they control and profit from.

Edited by KD at 16:25:29 05-05-2020
  • AboutHalfaStevas 5 May 2020 16:26:14 2,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd be all over some TOCA. How long has it been since we had one?
  • Dirt3 5 May 2020 17:29:10 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KD wrote:
    I dont think Liberty Media would let that happen, conditions on the agreement I'd like to see. No matter the sim level I just dont think they want other motorsports in the product unless its a direct feeder series they control and profit from.
    I'm not sure they would have the choice. Although of course CM would not want to piss them off.

Remember there are old F1 cars in a lot of games other than Codies series, such as forza, Asseto corsa and PCars.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is the manufacturers retain the ability to licence them as and when they wish. That's why PCars could have the lotus F1 cars for example. As for the tracks again that is normally up to the tracks. There are many F1 tracks that appear in PCars for example.

What they might not be able to do is call it an "F1 championship" and probably they would not be able to have the drivers names either as my guess is the driver rights belong to the individual drivers.

Anyway, it's all speculation because no one knows the terms of the licencing agreement or what the respective parties would actually want or be willing to accept.
  • KD 5 May 2020 18:33:42 2,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep thats why Lotus in some, a Ferrari or 2 in another, even old F1 games get pulled from sale if they got classic cars in them.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Jun 2020 14:26:08 24,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No tire wear or pitstops in the 3rd. Odd decision.
  • KD 27 Jun 2020 15:55:35 2,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm quite happy to give it a shot with the more I hear, I am just curious how they didn't rebrand it like Forza Horizon instead of putting 3 on it.
  • Dirt3 27 Jun 2020 21:45:39 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KD wrote:
    I'm quite happy to give it a shot with the more I hear, I am just curious how they didn't rebrand it like Forza Horizon instead of putting 3 on it.
    Agreed. It sounds like the game is moving from sim to arcade/sim.

I don't have a clue what Codies/SMS are doing. I hope they do.

There are a fair few people in the community who have put a lot of effort into PCars. This change of direction must be disturbing to them.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.