The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Page 245

• miseryguts 21 May 2018 20:59:36 245 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A new Switch owner here. I've played lots on the WiiU version of BOTW and for the most part would say it performs reasonably well considering the scope of the game (fair bit of pop in/stuttering etc but not enough to spoil things for me) & will no doubt be picking up a Switch copy before too long.. was just wondering how folk who have put in time with both versions would compare the two, would you say it's significantly better performing/looking on Switch or not really?

Edited by miseryguts at 21:22:45 21-05-2018
  • y2rich 21 May 2018 21:30:09 3,421 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Having played it on Wii U at Launch and about 40 hours into it on Switch...I'd say the Wii U version is probably on par if just behind. Seen some horrendous framerates in certain areas on Switch especially docked that I don't remember from the Wii U version but overall it looks a bit better and seems a bit more stable framerate wise on Switch.
  • miseryguts 21 May 2018 21:56:06 245 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @y2rich

Thanks for that.. tbh I was kinda worried about things I'd previously read concerning Switch performance and was praying it had been fixed (or at least improved) in patches but I guess there is only so much you can do with a several year old soc, would gladly sacrifice sharpness/texture streaming and pop-in a for a more stable framerate any day particularly on a game like BOTW but C'est la vie, you pay your money and take your choice I guess.

Edited by miseryguts at 22:05:12 21-05-2018
  • Dombat 21 May 2018 22:49:57 1,528 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It depends how much you want to play it handheld IMO. The game handheld on Switch looks much better than Wii U on gamepad, where it's quite blurry. Switch docked vs Wii U on TV there isn't so much of a difference.

Both versions have/had moments of poor frame pacing (just on TV IIRC). Switch version isn't behind in any aspect. Main question is how much do you want to play it over again?
  • The_Goon 23 May 2018 11:30:29 1,195 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just started this the other day. It's pretty great. I can see myself sinking a lot of time into it. Struggling with the combat though. It doesn't feel as fluid as I remember OoT being and feels a lot harder too. Any tips? I actually tend to avoid fights right now. I'm on my way to Kakariko village if that makes any difference.
  • The_Goon 4 Jun 2018 11:44:57 1,195 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still getting fucked on this. Solid difficulty level currently. Someone help me out here. Stealth attacks are really my only way of defeating enemies currently. Three on one fight and I'm basically done - one hit kill essentially. Four hearts is doing me wrong clearly so will need to shrine hunt and upgrade that.

Pretty chuffed when I completed my first real non-story shrine though. These are not as simple as I thought they would be!
  • Derblington 4 Jun 2018 11:52:50 31,336 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Learning the parry timing is key to most of the game. There are combat shrines that'll teach you that stuff, so shrine hunting is probably the best approach for you now.

Google them to remove the luck aspect so that you can focus on getting more enjoyment from the game.
  • el_pollo_diablo 5 Jun 2018 13:35:52 2,920 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I still find combat to be really tough, so I tend to get up high and shoot people with bomb arrows.

Defo you want to get your hearts up a bit from four. I've got maybe 11 hearts, and I'm still pretty bad at combat.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Jun 2018 13:58:38 19,365 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Increasing your hearts isn't really necessary once you learn a few recipes. There's one that gives you a temporary (read: permanent until you lose them) full compliment of hearts. Carry a few of those around and it won't matter if you're crap at combat.
  • The_Goon 7 Jun 2018 11:28:07 1,195 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm a bit better at combat now. Would prefer a more zoomed out camera at times though because I inevitably get caught from behind when dealing with multiple enemies.

At the Zora Domain currently. I really should have climbed the tall tower in the area though. It's a bit of a pain navigating completely blind.
  • ghearoid 7 Jun 2018 12:14:55 3,187 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can zoom out the camera. I remember thinking that this game has the most flexible camera I've ever experienced.
  • The_Goon 7 Jun 2018 12:58:51 1,195 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers. I'll have to look into that. I don't mind the default view but it is a bit too close in combat situations.
  • the_milkybar_kid 19 Jul 2018 12:10:35 7,919 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally finished the main story last night. Is there a NG+ option here or do I just repeat from my last save?
  • Deleted user 19 July 2018 12:13:49
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Finally finished the main story last night. Is there a NG+ option here or do I just repeat from my last save?
    The Master Quest mode is the closest to one.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 19 Jul 2018 12:14:58 14,282 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    You should now have a save with a star, which takes you back to before the final boss and lets you just play on in the existing world. Not really NG+ so much as a way to mop up stuff you missed.

Master Mode is the equivalent of NG+ I guess but it's completely starting again from scratch in a far far harder version of the game (that you have to play quite differently up to a point).
  • the_milkybar_kid 19 Jul 2018 12:20:30 7,919 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Interesting, cheers kal. Will probably just continue to potter round on my current save and do the DLC on there. Then maybe one day look at Master Mode. That said I don't think I'll have the heart for it. Remember how hard it was during the first 20 hours or so and dubbed it The Legend of Dark Souls.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 19 Jul 2018 14:52:40 14,282 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, if you found the regular game hard for that long, it definitely isn't for you.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jul 2018 15:07:22 5,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How do you get health stats to appear above the enemy? I completed the game yonks ago and assumed that would automatically unlock. Not that it is in anyway important to me. I just wondered why some players had that extra on-screen info and I didn't.
  • disusedgenius 19 Jul 2018 15:13:43 9,598 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a t-shirt you can get through some means I can't remember that enables it. Basically you get more info for less armour.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jul 2018 15:34:06 5,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ah. I see. Well, I'm not going to go out of my way for that! Next time I boot up the game, it'll probably be a Master Mode run.
  • ghearoid 19 Jul 2018 15:36:04 3,187 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think it's just from the blue tunic once you upgrade it.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jul 2018 15:38:00 5,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't remember ever upgrading it. I can't quite remember. I didn't wear the tunic for very long, I know that much. Maybe one for the Master Mode playthrough, I suppose.
  • ghearoid 19 Jul 2018 15:41:41 3,187 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wait, you haven't been upgrading your armour!?
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jul 2018 15:47:51 5,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I mean I have been, but I assumed it only worked for armour that is part of a set. I fully upgraded pretty much every set. Just not the blue tunic, for some reason.
  • foldingtractor 19 Jul 2018 17:39:57 7 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Interesting, cheers kal. Will probably just continue to potter round on my current save and do the DLC on there. Then maybe one day look at Master Mode. That said I don't think I'll have the heart for it. Remember how hard it was during the first 20 hours or so and dubbed it The Legend of Dark Souls.
    Master mode only toughens up the enemies. Everything else is the same. So you could just play through without picking every fight available to you. It's up to you of course, but it doesn't have to be a lot harder than normal mode.
  • the_milkybar_kid 19 Jul 2018 18:32:14 7,919 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I never did kill a Lynel either. Even exploring the castle I stumbled on one and noped my way through a window.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jul 2018 20:50:57 5,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lynels are scary for a while, but they make for the best fights. Loved hunting them down.
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Jul 2018 10:27:07 7,919 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I take it that the Master Sword doesn't break after you beat the game? It's permanently glowing now. Kinda takes away some of the challenge and urgency.
  • Kay 20 Jul 2018 10:36:56 19,934 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I haven't played the DLC, but I believe that when you complete it the Master Sword will be permanently at full power (not just when you're near certain enemies, like Guardians). It will still break, however.
  • cowell 20 Jul 2018 11:11:02 1,780 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Even after completing the main story and the DLC, I still found Lynels a pain in the ass. Think I killed a few with ancient arrows, but never fair and square. I guess that shows the great thing about this game, is that many things are optional and don't prevent you from progressing.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.