The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Page 247

• ghearoid 13 Dec 2018 20:49:50 3,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @robc84

Have you bought the an ancient armour and fully upgraded it? That will help with fighting the guardians. Oh, and buy the ancient bow too and as many ancient arrows as you can

Also, you can go back to any previous shrine which had a guardian battle and redo it to farm some good ancient weapons.
  • robc84 13 Dec 2018 20:53:20 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I have ancient armour and an ancient bow. Will pick up some more arrows too. Not sure I have the motivation to go back and redo the shrine fights, but I suppose it may save me some time in the long run.
  • robc84 13 Dec 2018 20:54:29 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not upgraded the armour btw. I think I only have 3 fairy fountains (how may are there?) so probably canít fully upgrade it as things stand.
  • ghearoid 13 Dec 2018 22:56:02 3,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    4 fairy fountains. If you don't manage the castle approach it's well worth upgrading fully as you get an extra buff against the guardians.
  • whatthefu 14 Dec 2018 00:04:40 1,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used the Zora armour and the leap jump and got to Ganon without going through the castle. I skipped the castle by mistake.
  • robc84 14 Dec 2018 07:04:08 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok iíll upgrade as best I can.

I suppose I owe it to myself to at least give it a couple of goes first. Spent so much time with the game I may as well try to do it the proper way. Can always use Zora armour method if it starts getting frustrating.

Thanks all!
  • Youthist 14 Dec 2018 07:16:00 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is there a sneaky Zora way in then? Coming in from which direction ?
  • GuybrushFreepwood 14 Dec 2018 07:28:12 470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Sneaky way in its from the north .

Shield is the way with guardians. I sucked with them too. Eventually I kind of got how to fight and dodge but until then, it was mastering when to bounce back their rays. That's easier with certain Shields than others.
  • robc84 14 Dec 2018 07:34:43 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Youthist

I was struggling with the last memory so I googled how to get it and it turns out you can swim up the waterfalls from the north and climb up some rocks to get to the top.

Wasnít sure if you could get to Ganon that way without going through the castle but seems you can.
  • robc84 14 Dec 2018 07:37:00 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

Yeah havenít really mastered the parry technique. Iíll upgrade my armour and get as many arrows as I can and see how I get on.
  • Youthist 14 Dec 2018 07:53:31 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Parry when you get the timing right means you essentially cannot get hit by Guardians and you donít waste any weapons hitting them. Critical to master!
  • robc84 14 Dec 2018 08:07:55 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So which shields are best for that then? Iíll have a bit of a practice.
  • Youthist 14 Dec 2018 08:11:02 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find any them really. Knights shield iirc was always great. Have a look online for the timing then pick a guardian you can keep repeat practising on,
  • GuybrushFreepwood 14 Dec 2018 10:18:22 470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @robc84 The Hyrule shield is very good as its (iirc) almost invulnerable. It will blow up eventually, but it takes a while.
  • robc84 14 Dec 2018 12:11:21 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iíll have a look at where to find that shield then and practice my parrying technique.

Thanks!
  • Youthist 14 Dec 2018 12:47:48 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seriously though - any parry successfully delivered does no damage to a regular metal knights shield. It only takes damage if the parry fails.
  • robc84 16 Dec 2018 21:02:30 13,036 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Credits are rolling. ĎCheatedí my way to Ganon in the end via waterfalls, but glad I mastered the parry before I went in.

Overall, an amazing game. 10/10 no doubt.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Dec 2018 21:20:44 13,389 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I miss this game. I really hope we get another one this gen. Iíd love them to do for this what Majoraís Mask was to OoT.
  • Flying_Pig 19 Jan 2019 17:52:20 15,985 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So I've been playing BotW for the last couple of weeks, slowly working my way through the shrines and completing a few missions.

As I've played this, my opinion has varied from being impressed, to being frustrated, bored and finally to being in awe. The way in which the game slowly teaches you new things is spot on - I initially approached combat by simply steaming in and hammering the Y button until all of the enemies were defeated. This worked fine in the beginning when I was up against 2 or 3 Bokoblins, but after moving out of the first section I was the one being beaten over and over again. The combat is much more nuanced than I'd thought - I'm now sneaking up on the enemy camps, taking out as many enemies as possible by stealth before drawing out the remaining few (so I don't get overwhelmed) and dodging their attacks to create an opening for me. The combat really is top stuff.

It's similar with exploration - walking is slow and time consuming, but get a horse and the world opens up! Making exploration and wanting to reach a distant shrine a joy rather than a chore.

It's not perfect - rain is annoying, especially as it puts all of the camp fires out and arrows seem far too scarce, but these are small niggles in an otherwise excellent game.

I'm hooked.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 19 Jan 2019 20:28:08 13,389 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting to go back to the first page. Lots of concerns about the open world element and the size of the map. Lots of assumptions that it would be empty and dull and boring to traverse. How wrong we were 😎

Might be ready for a total replay of this soon.
  • el_pollo_diablo 19 Jan 2019 20:55:28 2,870 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I put off visiting the castle as I wanted to exhaust everything before finishing this game, and although I beat the four guardians I put the game down and have kind of been scared to return to it because Iíve forgotten how it all works.

I should really jump back in. Itís fantastic.
  • Kay 19 Jan 2019 22:20:26 19,818 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Interesting to go back to the first page. Lots of concerns about the open world element and the size of the map. Lots of assumptions that it would be empty and dull and boring to traverse. How wrong we were 😎

Funny thing is, a lot of critics do feel that the world is empty and boring, just because it's not filled to the brim with towns/NPCs/sidequests/good loot etc. I disagree of course and feel that the "empty" spaces are just as important as the "busy" areas. It helps that the world is so beautiful (despite the simple graphics) and navigation in general is such a joy.

Planning on replaying it on master mode myself soon.
  • Bichii 19 Jan 2019 22:36:07 895 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

Well it was pretty empty.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Jan 2019 23:07:08 19,080 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got a hankering to play it through again for some reason too. Despite the annoyances (I agree about the rain being annoying, for example) there's just something magical and appealing about the world.
  • ytzulu 20 Jan 2019 05:20:38 180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still not managed to complete the game yet. Not much gaming these days. However, I've been playing it exclusively with the wife. She friggin loves it. It ignited a love for video games she never knew she had!

Agree with Kal, hope we can get a Majora's mask esque sequel this gen. Some reason that game has matured better in my memory than OoT.

Edited by ytzulu at 05:21:22 20-01-2019
  • JoelStinty 20 Jan 2019 09:46:03 7,132 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is easily one of the best games of the generation (for me at least). Like the souls games it gave me post gaming blues in that a lot of stuff just instantly felt like shite afterwards.

It is just one of those games where i don't think about time or feel guilty playing it when i should be doing something else.

Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment. Its a solid game but i just notice little things that it doesn't do that Botw does. Botw is really empty, but it feels so much more alive and full of interesting stuff than Horizon which is vastly more populated. Just Nintendo realised that walking up to NPC and receiving quests is usually boring as shit and filled their world with little puzzles instead which makes it so much more engaging. And it also shows rather than tells. When you see the shard dragons flying around or the northern light over the mountain it trusts you that you want to explore through intuition rather than just receiving a quest to see it. Npc will drop little nuggets of information and you piece together what you eventually need to know.

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:46:24 20-01-2019
  • Red_Bool 22 Jan 2019 07:51:52 1,726 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's been almost a year since completing this. Yesterday I was playing AC Odyssey and was almost automatically trying to deploy a glider to jump off a mountain :D (I quickly recovered myself, otherwise that would not have ended well).
  • Garfy 22 Jan 2019 07:55:32 1,357 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Red_Bool Fall damage isn't fatal in odyssey thankfully 😁(and none at all after level 20)
  • Salaman 22 Jan 2019 08:34:28 23,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    I put off visiting the castle as I wanted to exhaust everything before finishing this game, and although I beat the four guardians I put the game down and have kind of been scared to return to it because Iíve forgotten how it all works.

I should really jump back in. Itís fantastic.
    Same here. I have all 4 titans since a while. I recently noticed in my quests that I needed to visit the old lady in Kakariko village. She told me to go fight Ganon.

I still have 1 memory to find and 1 area of the map to unlock and I only found 1 fairy fountain yet and there's so much to explore and ... and... and...

I've been playing the Binding of Isaac almost exclusively for the last 6 months though.

One day.
  • askew 22 Jan 2019 09:01:28 18,229 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím currently playing it for the first time. Iíve not long completed my first Divine Beast in the Zora Domain.

Combat is hard! After learning that enemies level as you defeat then, ive taken to avoiding it where possible.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.