The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Page 248

• brokenkey 22 Jan 2019 09:24:23 10,259 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Do they level when you beat them? I'd understood the whole game got harder when you defeat each divine beast...

oh shit:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/632936-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75123039?page=1

Don't avoid combat.

Edited by brokenkey at 09:26:00 22-01-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Jan 2019 09:28:21 16,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That sounds like a misunderstanding to me.

There is something that gets unlocked when you beat one of the beasts that makes the game slightly harder/more annoying but not really.

I wouldn't worry too much about any of that stuff. It's a game that is best enjoyed playing it on your terms. It's that open. Just enjoy it.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Jan 2019 09:29:26 16,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And as with all RPG type games the combat just gets easier and easier as you get more and more tooled up. Again, the feeling of it being hard at first is part of the game design. Don't stress it.
  • cowell 22 Jan 2019 09:33:04 1,990 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Play the way you want to play. That's the beauty of this game. I never felt punished for my own particular play style or for fleeing certain battles.

There's certainly a risk reward loop, which you can indulge as much as you want.

I personally never got to grips with beating Lynels, much beyond wasting Ancient Arrows into them. Did not really hinder my enjoyment or progress.
  • Kay 22 Jan 2019 09:35:12 20,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    There is something that gets unlocked when you beat one of the beasts that makes the game slightly harder/more annoying but not really.
    I was going to ask you to tell me what that was, but then I remembered... you mean the Yiga assassins right? They were pretty annoying.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Jan 2019 12:02:49 14,649 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not played this for about a year. Defeated 2 Divine Beasts (Zora and Geruda). Should really return.
  • YYDeckard 22 Jan 2019 12:59:55 207 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh if I could wipe my memory and return to just one game it would be BOTW.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Feb 2019 23:38:34 27,362 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    danydany wrote:
    I playing this game more than 3 month and itís awesome. My favourite action in this game is paragliding and shield boarding on hills. I work in online entertainment industry and all i want is to create a game in this style on my website. What guys do you think about that idea?
    I think you can nibble on my ginger nut sack.
  • richardiox 25 Mar 2019 15:15:40 7,752 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://caneandrinse.com/breath-of-the-wild-360/

Love this podcast and BOTW makes for a great episode.
  • DangerousDave_87 28 Apr 2019 10:02:28 6,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The latest VR update for this game has improved loading times by roughly 5 - 10 seconds (depending on the shrines you visit) and general performance on the overworld. overworked that such things were ever an issue for me, but it has got the speed run community excited.
  • Kay 28 Apr 2019 11:56:43 20,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I started this in master mode yesterday, with the intention of giving it quick try just to see what it's like... and ended up playing for around five hours. Even after 170+ hours on my normal slot, it still has that incredibly addictive "let me just pop down to see what's around that corner" quality.

I've left the plateau but not sure yet if I'll stick with master mode - at the moment having to play a bit carefully and utilising creative methods to beat/avoid enemies is fun, but not sure if it'll become tedious after a while.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Apr 2019 12:09:24 16,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I found the regen health in baddies just too much later in the game. Fights went on forever and itís obvious the game wasnít really designed to be played that way. The game is more than hard enough normally tbh.
  • Kay 28 Apr 2019 12:41:28 20,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I found the regen health in baddies just too much later in the game. Fights went on forever and itís obvious the game wasnít really designed to be played that way. The game is more than hard enough normally tbh.
    Yeah, I've read this as well. But I figured that the combat is not the game's greatest strength anyway, so it would mean I'd pick fights very carefully and generally try to avoid most enemy camps. Did you complete it on MM?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Apr 2019 13:21:04 16,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No. It just wasnít the same game and stopped being fun.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Apr 2019 13:55:44 27,362 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I could easily do a replay of this, what an utter masterpiece of a game.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Apr 2019 14:23:13 21,254 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I finally finished the thing a month or so ago. I'd rinsed out all the shrines, all the Champion's Ballad DLC. It got to the point where I was just hoarding high-level weapons for no real reason, even Lynels didn't really feel worth killing anymore.

It was a great game, but I think I'm done with it for now, and I'm not enough of a masochist to try the Master Sword Trial or Master Mode. I think I'd need to wait a couple of years or so if I'm going to play it again.
  • Kay 28 Apr 2019 16:56:50 20,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmm, I think I'll just do another normal playthrough then, and limit myself on hearts or something to give it a bit more of an interesting challenge.

richardiox wrote:
    https://caneandrinse.com/breath-of-the-wild-360/

Love this podcast and BOTW makes for a great episode.
    Yeah, I listened to this a few days ago (which made me want to start another playthrough), and I particularly liked the discussion of intrinsic vs. extrinsic reward motivation when playing these types of games. (Also, my three-word review of the game was mentioned on the podcast)

Edited by Kay at 16:57:14 28-04-2019
  • Kay 15 Jul 2019 10:25:08 20,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished all four Divine Beasts on master mode, and wondering whether to start the Champions Ballad stuff straight away (never played it before), or just stick with getting all 120 shrines first (I'm on 85). I believe the DLC adds even more shrines - does it just add them in random places in the world for you to find again? Are they harder than the normal shrines?
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jul 2019 10:28:11 21,254 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, the new shrines aren't random, they're in set places. You get four on the main plateau to start with, and more afterwards.

And yes, they're quite a bit harder than the ones in the main game. Particularly the first four, for reasons that you might best discover on your own. :)
  • Kay 15 Jul 2019 10:32:21 20,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, cheers. I meant random as in, they're scattered around the world like the normal shrines, and I would have to wander around to find them again.

I do like the idea of harder shrines though. Think I'll aim to get 100 of the normal shrines first, before starting the DLC.
  • PazJohnMitch 15 Jul 2019 11:27:55 14,649 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started playing Zelda again last week. Up to 4 beasts now and have the master sword.

It feels like I have done loads of shrines but I think I might only have done about 60.

Intend to do a few more shrines, get the ancient armour and then fight Ganon.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jul 2019 11:34:10 21,254 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah. Yeah, they're scattered around. But you do get an indication of where they are, so you don't have to go wandering too much. And you also have to do things to make them appear.
  • Switch024 15 Jul 2019 12:53:28 3,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I picked it up again whilst I was away last week and I'm now on 112 shrines. No idea which shrines I'm missing so I'll have to resort to using Hero's path to see areas I haven't explored and hope I stumble into them.

I had a quick attempt at the Champions Ballad stuff and it seems brutal. Not sure I can be arsed with it.
  • cowell 17 Jul 2019 12:02:32 1,990 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stick with it. I don't recall it being that brutal. Some tricky sections, but if you're already quite far along, they shouldn't be too hard for you.
  • The_Goon 12 Aug 2019 18:11:01 1,351 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I've got a new copy of Zelda - going to restart it soon. Got the DLC when it was on sale a few weeks back too. Any tips/things you wish you'd done when you first started?
  • Derblington 12 Aug 2019 18:26:47 31,905 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Don't worry about weapons breaking - it happens. There are very few truly unique items (all late game) and you should use what you have. You can upgrade inventory space and you'll always have access to new swords, etc.

Learn to shield deflect early. It's really useful.

Don't get stuck on one thing. For example, rain makes climbing almost impossible - go and do something else rather than sitting it out or getting frustrated, it's a big world with lots of things.

Take your time and have fun.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Aug 2019 19:12:11 14,649 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I initially filled my sword inventory with utility items like a torches and a Korok leaves. Donít do that.
  • The_Goon 14 Aug 2019 20:29:24 1,351 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So Iím still on the first three shrines but come across some stuff I hadnít last time. Had no idea (or had completely forgotten) that you could cut down trees! Just bridged a gap with a felled tree and walked across - brilliant! Itís feeling a bit less like a chore this time round and Iím more familiar with combat so it doesnít seem so difficult. Pretty happy Iíve restarted.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.