The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Page 249

• askew 14 Aug 2019 20:41:17 21,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    50 hours and Iíve only done two divine beasts. I donít know where the time goes!

Iím still crap at combat and the lizalfos seem to be especially tough.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Aug 2019 21:27:23 16,008 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The elemental Lizalfos can be killed with one hit if you use a weapon of the opposite element.
  • askew 14 Aug 2019 23:14:38 21,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ooh. Top tip.
  • The_Goon 16 Aug 2019 20:09:50 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I just got the warm doublet and am about to approach the last shrine to get the glider - I donít think I did this my first play through! I think I just made a shit load of dishes that made me immune to cold and went in that way. Blimey. Lol.
  • ZuluHero 16 Aug 2019 20:34:35 8,931 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well thats the beauty of it, so many different ways to approach a problem.

I still remember playing a shrine and looking for a metal object to bridge a circuit. "Why don't you just drop your metal sword? " asked my daughter who was watching. My mind was blown when that worked.

We've become so conditioned to play games the way the designer intended that simple rules are alien to us.

So many great moments. Can't wait for BotW2.
  • The_Goon 12 Sep 2019 10:17:56 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Making the most of this on my re-run. Far happier playing it. Combat feels a bit easier and I am a bit more comfortable to run around and explore. Cooking is still a chore though - would rather do without that.

EDIT: Also, is it just me or are the 'English' accents awful? I think the voice acting is pretty horrific for some of the characters. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by The_Goon at 10:18:51 12-09-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Sep 2019 10:38:36 28,876 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Making the most of this on my re-run. Far happier playing it. Combat feels a bit easier and I am a bit more comfortable to run around and explore. Cooking is still a chore though - would rather do without that.

EDIT: Also, is it just me or are the 'English' accents awful? I think the voice acting is pretty horrific for some of the characters. Like nails on a chalkboard.
    Yep, voice acting is rubbish.
    Zelda is terrible, can't believe they didn't do better on such an amazing, ambitious game.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2019 10:40:30 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just use the Japanese voices.
  • The_Goon 12 Sep 2019 10:42:35 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Just use the Japanese voices.
    Cheers. Didn't even realise that was a thing.

Bit ashamed of myself for looking something up on a guide. I just couldn't figure out how to activate the shrine! I will do some good deeds to make up for it.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2019 10:44:48 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You *might* have to download the Japanese voice track separately, I can't remember. But yeah, if you're finding the English annoying, it's a good option. There's not that many subtitles to read.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Sep 2019 10:45:41 28,876 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The elemental Lizalfos can be killed with one hit if you use a weapon of the opposite element.
    Well now you tell me!!!
  • RawShark 2 Oct 2019 14:52:21 1,210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've finally got around to playing this properly (it involved me giving up on WiiU and rebuying the game on the Switch).

I invaded Hyrule Castle last night and should get to the Endgame tonight. It has to be said the castle is something else. It feels like a living, breathing space - so many secrets to uncover. It's practically a region all on its own.

Out of interest, how many shrines did everyone settle on before they headed into the castle? I managed about 90, so there's still a good quarter to discover in the postgame.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2019 14:58:59 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When I finished it recently, I'd done all the shrines. But that's not necessary, of course - I just wanted to see what I'd get for it.

Not all that much, as it turned out.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Oct 2019 15:20:58 16,008 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

It is supposed to unlock a quest in the really big ruined temple that looks like the one in Skyward Sword. And gives you the green tunic
  • Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2019 15:23:23 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @Mola_Ram

It is supposed to unlock a quest in the really big ruined temple that looks like the one in Skyward Sword. And gives you the green tunic
    Yeah, like I said, not all that much.

Ymmv of course.
  • The_Goon 2 Oct 2019 16:19:39 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got up to my second Divine Beast and had to stop for a bit and now can't bring myself to play again. It's just so daunting. I think open world games just don't suit my interests and time constraints quite as much as they used to. I'm sure I'll be enthralled once I start playing again though so just need to make that extra effort to get going.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Oct 2019 17:27:17 16,008 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That was pretty much my experience.
    Session 1: Completed 1st Divine Beast after 30 hours.
    6 month hiatus
    Session 2: Completed 2nd Divine Beast after a further 30 hours.
    Almost 18 months later and BotW is pretty much abandoned and too daunting to return to and then the sequelís trailer is shown.
    Session 3: Fuck it letís get this done. Next 2 Divine Beasts and Master Sword collected within 10 hours.
    Thought Ganon, lost.
    Explored for 40 hours, finally clicked. Loved it.
    Killed Ganon.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 17:27:58 02-10-2019
  • RawShark 4 Oct 2019 15:27:39 1,210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you really have to put in the effort to go off the beaten path and find things yourself - you're effectively telling your own story.

This was my second go at the game after I'd abandoned it on WiiU because the WiiU is horrible. This time around I'd learned from a few mistakes. For example, I didn't leave the plateau the minute I got the glider and getting things like the Warm Doublet and beating the Talus made what followed a little easier. Also, prioritising stamina ahead of life was another hard lesson learned.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to playing something nice and linear now. 16 hours max please.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Oct 2019 18:24:58 16,008 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was the opposite. I spent so long exploring on the first 2 sessions that I ran out of steam before achieving anything. I really had to focus on the core story and get that done before I could properly relax into the exploration phase again. (The Divine Beast skill I got last also made exploring far easier).

There was a really big ďI have spent 60 hours on this and I am only half wayĒ hurdle to get over. (One which I have just reached on Divinity 2).

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 18:26:35 04-10-2019
  • Saul_Iscariot 11 Oct 2019 21:27:29 3,745 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never finished the DLC when it came out. After finishing Linkís Awakening I felt like more Zelda so fired up BotW. Struggling with some of the new shrines, which is nice. But they seem quite linear in how you can approach them. I know when the game first came out the way people solved things differed quite a lot.

Having struggled with them I decided to fire up the Wii U and finish off Twilight Princess. Took me a little why to get back into the flow but my gosh, what a quality game.
  • quadfather 10 Nov 2019 16:04:12 36,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I fired this up yesterday just purely curious where my switch save was. Decided to not even bother checking and started a new game, with the intention of just pissing about for an hour.

I'm now totally in love with it all over again and have put about 8 hours in already!

This time though, I knew what I needed to do in advance so I made the painful journey pretty much straight away to both lab buildings to get things upgraded quicker. And flying to lomei labyrinth was a good shout, as I've got loads of decent stuff now already from that place.

Here we go again!
  • bone-on 10 Nov 2019 16:39:13 543 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The wondering around elements of this Zelda just put me off. Put 10hrs in and sold it as it looked like a massive time sink and time is something I donít have. Donít think I could commit another 50hrs into it
  • askew 10 Nov 2019 19:48:01 21,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    And flying to lomei labyrinth was a good shout, as I've got loads of decent stuff now already from that place.
    Where is this please?
  • Mola_Ram 10 Nov 2019 20:47:34 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    askew wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    And flying to lomei labyrinth was a good shout, as I've got loads of decent stuff now already from that place.
    Where is this please?
    The far north east iirc. It's on an island.
  • quadfather 10 Nov 2019 21:15:50 36,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, go to the akkala lab, then go behind it and you'll see a maze type building as an island in the sea. You gotta fly to it and trust me, you'll need 2 stamina upgrades to do so, but it's so worth it, just use the labyrinth right wall method and you'll pick up loads of useful stuff in advance

Edited by quadfather at 21:17:09 10-11-2019
  • quadfather 10 Nov 2019 21:16:41 36,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit, I gotta play some more tonight :)
  • askew 10 Nov 2019 21:19:38 21,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Interesting! Iíd found one (maybe two) labyrinths in the north. I shall have to explore this one.
  • quadfather 10 Nov 2019 21:22:08 36,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @askew

My memory isn't brilliant, but I'm thinking there's 4 in each remote area of the map. Could be wrong as it's been years, but there's definitely at least 2. The lomei one top right though is a right haven for ancient parts, weapons and other useful stuff. Well handy to get in advance

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.