That urge to buy stuff (I know I don't need)

First Previous
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 11:55:46 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trigger warning: First World Problems ahead

Surely I'm not the only one on here who feel the need to buy stuff even though I know I won't have time to use them and really don't need them. Folio Society versions of books I own (sometimes in two copies for... purposes). Deluxe Sandman editions (I have the original trade paperbacks thank you very much), a looooong list of interesting board games (wen I already have two unplayed ones), endless list of cool indie games, a new camera, a juice press, a new bike, a compost mulcher etc etc

How do you guys deal with this? Do you just give in or have you found a way to sit on your wallets?
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 11:57:56 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was seconds away from buying an "Awesome Mix Vol. 1" LP (yes, actual LP... how cool is that?) when my wife pointed out that we don't have a record player.

But it was sooo cool. With that tape cassette cover on an LP making it even better.
  • chopsen 6 Feb 2017 12:02:04 20,468 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Generally yeah I feel your pain but

Tonka wrote:
    books I own (sometimes in two copies for... purposes).
    wtf man?
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Feb 2017 12:03:14 10,244 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lack of toilet paper?
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 12:05:18 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Generally yeah I feel your pain but

Tonka wrote:
    books I own (sometimes in two copies for... purposes).
    wtf man?
    I know... I know. There's the Martian Trilogy which I had to buy second copies of for the first two books so that I could get a matching set. Then there's the ones I have in both english and swedish.
  • chopsen 6 Feb 2017 12:12:36 20,468 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well...that sort of makes sense.

I've found that I've got to a point where I now just want to de-clutter. I've accumulated endless crap over the years that I really didn't need and actually barely used. MY DVD collection was a breaking point for me. I realised I only watched a tiny fraction of them more than once. Some were still in the cellophane.

But I've got so much stuff. I feel if I actually had the time I probably would get some use out of the rubbish I've bought. Or at least I'd like to think I would.
  • brokenkey 6 Feb 2017 12:17:09 10,196 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You know those people who buy commemorative plates? That's you, that is.
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 12:19:43 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    I realised I only watched a tiny fraction of them more than once. Some were still in the cellophane.
    This is the other end of it. I stumbled over my collection of unopened PS2 games the other day. Good investment that. I have an unopened kitchen lamp from IKEA in the attic. Three big unopened LEGO sets (7965, 8038 & 70816) etc.

Hmmm... thinking about all that makes my "Must buy moar itch" subside a little. Now I feel dirty and ashamed. Lying naked on the floor.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2017 12:20:41 14,682 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's called consumerism.

I'm getting better with age. I'm currently supporting a family of four, which is making me much more careful what I buy, particularly the kind of shite I used to buy. I don't think I've bought anything 'Limited Edition' relating to books, games, comics, films or music for at least five years now. That stuff really doesn't bring you the joy nor the future value you convince yourself it does.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Feb 2017 12:24:19 32,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have so much stuff that I'll never use. I've got 2 Halo statues, an Ezio one, a Defiance one, Soldier 46, Ganondorf, a Blue Shell, a Link Scarf, a Division Watch, A Marcus statue from Watch Dog 2, a Compass Watch thing, a special edition album that came with the vinyl version, Bayonetta 2 in some big fancy box thing, some old Guild Wars special editions I've never actually played and other bits and bobs I can't remember.

I just can't help myself. They're just so lovely to have! Some of them I actually enjoy, like the watch (which I don't wear as I'm afraid to scratch it), but anything non-functional is getting kept until some mythical time I decide to finally get some shelves to display them, which I just can't be bothered doing :p

Edited by DFawkes at 12:25:54 06-02-2017
  • rice_sandwich 6 Feb 2017 12:25:47 5,318 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Try reading the book 'Stuffocation' as an antidote. Ideally borrow it so as not to add more clutter. Spending on experiences rather than stuff is the new cool thing.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Feb 2017 12:26:17 18,991 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Iíve just been into B&Q for a bag of tungsten-tipped screws. Never gonna use them.
  • chopsen 6 Feb 2017 12:27:05 20,468 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Consumerism is a thing, but I think I've got an extra layer of stupid on top of that. I've never been particularly been one for limited editions collector thingies and the like . I just get in to doing something then go mental and buy stuff involving it.

I buy stuff that is practical and has an use, but I just get carried away,

Got in to astronomy. BUY ALL THE TELESCOPES! Do I need a computerised mount? No, but I did. Do I have time or the skies to do astrophotography properly? No. But guess what....

Got in to camping. BUY ALL THE TENTS. Yeah, I actually bought multiple tents depending on circumstances. Plus loads of associated gubbins and whatnots.

I've done it so many times....
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2017 12:38:52 14,682 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Consumerism is a thing, but I think I've got an extra layer of stupid on top of that. I've never been particularly been one for limited editions collector thingies and the like . I just get in to doing something then go mental and buy stuff involving it.

Got in to astronomy. BUY ALL THE TELESCOPES! Do I need a computerised mount? No, but I did. Do I have time or the skies to do astrophotography properly? No. But guess what....

Got in to camping. BUY ALL THE TENTS. Yeah, I actually bought multiple tents depending on circumstances. Plus loads of associated gubbins and whatnots.

I've done it so many times....
    Yours is a fairly typical shopper archetype, which isnít quite the same as those that collect nerdy models and such, but itís not a million miles away from it either. Donít beat yourself up about the extra layer of stupid, because almost everyone has it in some form.
  • DaM 6 Feb 2017 12:39:53 17,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've bought a stupidly expensive car, which makes me think twice about buying luxuries like bread.
  • Salaman 6 Feb 2017 12:46:18 23,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm getting better at not getting carried away by the "Ooooh Shiny!" and impulse buy crap. I think partially because I have started clearing out stuff I don't need or ever read/watch. I now sort of loathe the idea of adding to it.

I also have games I bought in the steam sales 3 or 4 years ago and added to my inventory as a gift. They're still uninstalled. So at most steam sales, I resist temptation by reminding myself that I have enough to install and play until the next steam sale and I can pick them up then.

I do have a keyboard and mouse that are getting long in the tooth. So I bought a new mouse recently. I didn't have any headphones anymore, so I bought some of those. I'll look to replace the keyboard soon as well.

Overall, just thinking "do I REALLY need it" before clicking 'buy' seems to help in a lot of cases.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2017 12:52:58 14,682 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Spending on experiences rather than stuff is the new cool thing.
    Yes, as is the "access over ownership" shift. There is a collective realisation, particularly with younger people that actually owning loads of stuff doesn't really improve your life, especially if you can still get access to the things you want if needed.
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2017 13:00:23 88,518 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can't beat a bit of consumerism fuelled by a fad.
  • motti82 6 Feb 2017 13:01:37 3,324 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am in the camp of spending good money on stuff you will use every day, such as shoes, bed matress, car/bike, a decent coat. That way, the "cost per use" will be next to nowt. Nothing worse than spending money on summat and never actually using it.
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 13:05:34 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    chopsen wrote:

I recognize myself in that. Nowadays it's so damn easy to find out all the stuff that's "essential" too. Just watch some youtube videos, read some blogs and hey presto. Long list of the things you absolutely need to make ... whatever.

Like coffee? Here's a guide to the five unmissable ways to make coffee with handy shopping lists for them all. It never ends.

I do like the whole experience over stuff and access over ownership thinking. Most of my (well, our me and my wives) money go towards travel. I do use Spotify and streaming video over buying DVDs etc.

But still, that lovely coffee grinder I've been eyeing... Or that little co-op card game I miiiight be able to play with the kids in say... five years? Only one copy left for sale in Sweden. I'd be stupid NOT to buy it right? Or that lovely dutch bike with integrated LED lights both at the front AND rear? Maybe upgrade to 7 gears? Maybe get the electric one?

And a Google Home and some Philips HUE lamps. That footrest for higher lounging comfort? An Aeropress for when I only want one cup of coffee?

I should pirate that book that was mentioned.
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Feb 2017 13:19:37 40,153 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Mfolf Haha, yeah. I am reasonably good at not spending money on all kinds of stuff I don't need (well, there are exceptions, like games...), but I am also guilty of thinking I need THE BEST.

Or at least the best I can afford. And once I've bought the best I can afford, I can't decide if I should have bought an even better one, or if the thing I bought was already a waste of money.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Feb 2017 13:19:43 5,318 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Tonka

What about all this lagom stuff that's been talked about in the UK press atm. The 'just enough' concept that supposed to be important in Sweden (or so they say).
  • Deleted user 6 February 2017 13:21:22
    Decks wrote:
    Iíve just been into B&Q for a bag of tungsten-tipped screws. Never gonna use them.
    This is the view of a man who has never had to dress as a Frankenstein
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2017 13:27:06 14,682 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The thing I find most interesting is that these days I'm completely aware of the little endorphin rush I get when I click 'buy'.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2017 13:28:44
    Think of buying such crap as lining your coffin with ever-thickening velour as you march inexorably towards death
  • markytonline83 6 Feb 2017 13:29:04 891 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Beware: Hipsters operating in this thread
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.