That urge to buy stuff (I know I don't need) Page 2

  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 13:33:31 29,325 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich yeah there is that. That's for others...
  • rice_sandwich 6 Feb 2017 13:36:06 5,327 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Those le crueset pans are great and could well last a lifetime. When I got my first flat years ago I got an old set from my aunt. Would still have them but my wife said they were too heavy to lift.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2017 13:40:16
    Well this went from nerd to middle aged in record time
  • Alastair 6 Feb 2017 13:40:43 23,311 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Le Creuset cookware is indeed great. Will last you a lifetime!
  • rice_sandwich 6 Feb 2017 13:41:48 5,327 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @bad09

    If it's something you use frequently and for something as important as food, it'd be stupid to not buy the best you can afford. In saying that I bought a 15 wok in 1997 and it's still going strong. So cheaper can be good too.
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2017 13:44:20 51,358 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I always see it as this

    1) Do you spend an inordinate amount of your waking hours at work, earning a living.
    2) Does your family have enough to eat / live off
    3) Have you saved something this month (mortgage and pension payments count!)
    4) Should you be saving for something big like a house, or holiday or not.

    Once you've answered all those questions then just fucking spend your money on whatever makes you happy. You're lucky enough to have it, you work for it, and you might get hit by a bus tomorrow and not have enjoyed it
  • macmurphy 6 Feb 2017 13:45:09 3,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The random shit aisle at Lidl gets me every time. Recently bought new headphones, Bluetooth speaker, foam roller, gym mat, PIR sensors.

    Every time I go in there they've got something I never missed but now suddenly want. If it was the Middle Ages they'd be drowned as witches.
  • Carlo 6 Feb 2017 13:47:35 20,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-why-behind-the-buy/201301/why-clearance-sales-are-psychologically-irresistable

    "Fear of missing out". Damnit! /cries
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2017 13:49:25 14,734 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I always see it as this

    1) Do you spend an inordinate amount of your waking hours at work, earning a living.
    2) Does your family have enough to eat / live off
    3) Have you saved something this month (mortgage and pension payments count!)
    4) Should you be saving for something big like a house, or holiday or not.

    Once you've answered all those questions then just fucking spend your money on whatever makes you happy. You're lucky enough to have it, you work for it, and you might get hit by a bus tomorrow and not have enjoyed it
    I think this topic is more about exploring why spending your money on tat makes you happy, and indeed whether it actually does.
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2017 13:53:52 51,358 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

    Well the OP was asking if people had found a way to sit on their wallets, all I was saying was don't sit on your wallet or feel the urge to sit on your wallet if spending the cash on tat makes you happy.
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 13:54:05 29,325 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Le Creuset cookware is indeed great. Will last you a lifetime!
    Which is why you should buy it second hand.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Feb 2017 13:54:27 5,327 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @bad09

    Do it! Then you'll need to get the full matching set. I had the orange ones. Handles were better in the old days, though.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2017 13:55:05
    Tonka wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Le Creuset cookware is indeed great. Will last you a lifetime!
    Which is why you should buy it second hand.
    Ugh, dead people omelettes
  • chrisp 6 Feb 2017 13:55:37 1,141 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am also guilty of getting into something and then buying everything associated with it I can find.

    One example, when I lived in Hong Kong I quite fancied learning Cantonese (I'm a bit of a language geek anyway), but instead of just buying one teach yourself course / looking for some beginner classes, I went and bought almost every single "learn Cantonese as a foreign language" resource I could find. I bought so much I didn't even know where to start ... I kidded myself into thinking I'd continue learning the language when I got back to the UK. Now I've got a whole load of books - which were a job to ship back - taking up about two shelves at home which will probably never get looked at again.

    Playing Yakuza 0 recently has made me want to take up Japanese language learning again. Well, guess what, I have a shelf of "Japanese as a foreign language" books at home from my last attempt, some years ago. I guess at least there's a prospect they'll get a second use!

    I did the same with HK cinema when I was over there and ended up amassing a collection of over 100 DVDs by the end of my 6 month stint, which I shipped back, most of which don't even work on my DVD player at home as they're the wrong region.

    I do it with games as well. For example, I might decide to get into a series that's been around for some time, but instead of checking out one entry first to decide whether I actually like it, I start scouring eBay etc. right away to track down the entire series. I did this recently with Yakuza, even shelling out 50 for the rare Yakuza 2, before I'd even played any of the series. It's a good job I bloody loved Yakuza 0 and now definitely want to play the other entries, but still a little bit silly of me not to wait and play it first! One half of my brain is telling me to slow down, whereas the other half is saying "but what if you don't get it now and it becomes super rare and you can never get it again - now might be your only chance to get a copy!".
  • quadfather 6 Feb 2017 13:56:32 34,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's games, films, records and books for me. Which is barely within control.

    The film side of things costs a fucking fortune, because I'm unhealthily always wanting the next best thing - at the moment, it's Dolby Atmos, so I obviously had to go and get it all to get the most out of it. That cost a fucking arm and a leg, but I'm really happy with the setup now.

    I'm just waiting for the next stupid-but-want-it-anyway thing.

    Willpower doesn't get a look in tbh
  • rice_sandwich 6 Feb 2017 13:58:12 5,327 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @chrisp

    You can never have too many language learning resources. But I agree that it can be hard to know where to start as you need to pick the 'best' course. Best just to start.
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 13:58:27 29,325 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal

    Well the OP was asking if people had found a way to sit on their wallets, all I was saying was don't sit on your wallet or feel the urge to sit on your wallet if spending the cash on tat makes you happy.
    I'm fine with it branching off. I just wanted to vent really. Also wanted to avoid buying that latest thing that caught my eye, that I'll never use, and that isn't especially highly rated.

    It just speaks to me. And as You-can-call-me-complicatedusername said. I'm increasingly aware of how buying some shit gives me a small, momentary, endorphine boost.

    I sometimes miss that initial phase of a new obsession where I read all the reviews, hone in on a list and finally track down the best price and click buy.

    Maybe I should just start making those lists for others.
  • quadfather 6 Feb 2017 14:02:25 34,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chrisp wrote:

    I do it with games as well. For example, I might decide to get into a series that's been around for some time, but instead of checking out one entry first to decide whether I actually like it, I start scouring eBay etc. right away to track down the entire series. I did this recently with Yakuza, even shelling out 50 for the rare Yakuza 2, before I'd even played any of the series. It's a good job I bloody loved Yakuza 0 and now definitely want to play the other entries, but still a little bit silly of me not to wait and play it first! One half of my brain is telling me to slow down, whereas the other half is saying "but what if you don't get it now and it becomes super rare and you can never get it again - now might be your only chance to get a copy!".
    Genuine lol :)

    I totally understand what you mean. When a mate said to me years ago that he'd played 'the most scary horror game ever', I instantly ordered the entire series, completely on a whim, without even thinking about it, or even shopping for the best price. For a console that I didn't even own at the time!

    It's like once I've decided on something, no matter how stupid it seems, I just go the whole hog.
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2017 14:02:40 29,325 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmmm... I think that's what I'll do. A series of Medium posts along the lines of
    Essential N64 games This will be a list of my old games with links to their ebay page
    Essential Kitchenware
    Essential Sci-fi books
    Essential Smart home devices

    Brilliant!

    Edited by Tonka at 14:03:14 06-02-2017
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2017 14:02:42 51,358 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Tonka

    This'll sound a little odd, but when i built my watercooled system over the summer it did exactly that for me.

    Hours and hours of poring over different radiators and fittings and working out how it would all fit together (i went for a smaller form factor case and hard tubing to make it more challenging), and then hours of poring over forums and youtube videos watching tutorials on how to do it.

    Was money well spent IMO
  • Alastair 6 Feb 2017 14:03:08 23,311 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Fuck it I'm buying a Le Crueset and when I my wife looks at me like I'm mad I'm pointing out to her rice_sanwich and Alistair made me do it :lol:
    Do it. And if she's still cross tell her I'd be happy to explain why you did the right thing. 😊
  • rice_sandwich 6 Feb 2017 14:03:43 5,327 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mistakes I've made have been things like buying board games and their expansion(s) without having played the base game before. Or buying a whole series of books without having read the first one.

    I suppose the issue is I like to imagine that I have more free time and energy than I really do. Somehow spending makes that illusion seem real for a while. It's easy to get carried away with hobbies and interests and imagine that you'll have more fun with them than you actually will.
  • quadfather 6 Feb 2017 14:07:52 34,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Fuck it I'm buying a Le Crueset and when I my wife looks at me like I'm mad I'm pointing out to her rice_sanwich and Alistair made me do it :lol:
    Do it. And if she's still cross tell her I'd be happy to explain why you did the right thing. 😊
    And if she makes you get rid of them, I'll buy them at half the price off you!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2017 14:08:53 14,734 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    And as You-can-call-me-complicatedusername said...
    Seriously, you can call me 'kal'.

    I think there's an element of immaturity to all this as well. I think most people go through a phase when they first become independently wealthy of buying all the shit their parents would never have got them. Many get to a realisation at some stage that it's largely for nothing, and actually a de-cluttered life is quite appealing.

    I'm still guilty of buying stuff I know I don't need. Mostly clothes these days. And yeah, I mostly do it to pick myself up a bit.
  • Tryhard 6 Feb 2017 14:09:11 12,014 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Comfort buying is like comfort eating, only more expensive, and you don't get fat.

    It's filling a void in your life to make you feel better.
  • chrisp 6 Feb 2017 14:16:12 1,141 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @quadfather :) Nice to be in similar company!
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.