That urge to buy stuff (I know I don't need) Page 12

Next Last
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2019 09:23:16 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    24 days in (on 2019) and I'm boiling with rage that I didn't snatch a copy of an obscure boardgame that suddenly became available in a Swedish store.
    Now it has gone from "Yeah, that looks like I might enjoy it. Alas, I already have a bunch of games I haven't even played once so maybe I should wait" to

"OMG this is my purpose in life. MUST HAVE!"

I'm such a neaderthal.
  • Tomo 24 Jan 2019 09:27:18 16,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've started the spreadsheet thingy suggested here. I resent myself for every time I make an entry something into it, so it seems to be working.
  • rice_sandwich 24 Jan 2019 09:40:35 5,475 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've started using a habit tracking app and have stacked a daily habit of taking a lunchtime walk away from the shops with a goal of daily reading. I'm trying to not break the chain and build up a decent streak of no buy days. I still buy true essentials such as food, of course.

I'm focusing on what I have rather than what I don't. Decent progress so far, though I did buy 4 Kindle books on my wishlist that were reduced to 99p each the other day. I aim to go 60 days without buying non-essentials.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 24 Jan 2019 09:43:37 945 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I think I need to do this. Spent much too much on the run up to Christmas and I'm still buying shit I don't need (looks at diary on the desk next to him that he bought last night as it was on offer).

I think I might do a 60 day challenge as well. I didn't "need" those films that were on offer on Amazon and I keep buying deals on Audible when I've hundreds of hours to listen to already.
  • dominalien 24 Jan 2019 09:49:49 9,129 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just got the Hori HOTAS for Ace Combat 7 for a rather silly 150 pounds. I know I won't ever use it for anything else and even for AC7 I won't bother setting it up after the first 2 times, but I just couldn't resist.
  • THFourteen 24 Jan 2019 10:37:07 51,943 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    I just got the Hori HOTAS for Ace Combat 7 for a rather silly 150 pounds. I know I won't ever use it for anything else and even for AC7 I won't bother setting it up after the first 2 times, but I just couldn't resist.
    Nice.

i bought a (much cheaper) HOTAS a few years ago and yeah barely used it.

But planning to use it when MechWarrior 5 comes out!
  • THFourteen 24 Jan 2019 10:48:59 51,943 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I've started the spreadsheet thingy suggested here. I resent myself for every time I make an entry something into it, so it seems to be working.
    I'm basically fucked already. Was doing fine, and then spent loads on a new GPU and monitor, which i didn't really need.

Justified it with the usual "might get hit by a bus tomorrow and you'll wish you'd spent that money instead of saving it instead".

Also just bagged a 500GB SSD for £58 as was getting fucked off at only being to install 1 game + destiny 2 at a time.
  • rice_sandwich 24 Jan 2019 10:55:08 5,475 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @THFourteen

Maybe it was the urge to treat yourself one last time before you go 4 days a week and have less salary? I read recently that buying things makes you more likely to buy other stuff soon after.

I consider a variety of leisure related things (mostly books, in my case) to be somewhat essential but a new monitor and graphics card is stretching it a bit! You could say that gaming lets you relax and get some down time, which in turn allows you to be able to fulfill your family and parenting responsibilities.
  • THFourteen 24 Jan 2019 11:05:44 51,943 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

They are definitely not essential, i could easily have kept what i had. I am reselling my old stuff on ebay so i will make a bit back at least.

But yeah there is an element of the 4 day a week thing, especially as i discovered that going from 5 to 4 days at nursery x2kids doesn't actually equate to 20% discount, more like 10% discount which is a fucker.

I'm trying to draw the line and say "that's it" for a few months, I've got anthem free with the GPU anyway so i shouldn't need any new game for a while, and if i want a switch game i can resell one i have to pay for it.

We'll see.
  • andytheadequate 24 Jan 2019 13:16:25 9,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the key to not buying stuff you don't need is to stop looking at websites like HotUKDeals and to unsubscribe from marketing emails. It's an awful lot easier when you're not getting caught on seeing 'deals for things you didn't even know existed.
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2019 13:24:40 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They're awfully good at showing deals on websites nowadays. I wanted a pair of rouger sneakers for hiking when on vacation. Been wanting that for years. So I went on-line and looked and found a pair at half price. But then they started showing a bunch of "Here's some other great deals" and it was really hard not to indulge in a new jacket and a pair of jeans when I could save sooo much.

Never mind that I didn't need either a new jacket or a pair of jeans.
  • brokenkey 24 Jan 2019 14:09:48 10,234 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    "button for cosmetic purpose only".
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2019 14:26:11 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Another thing I've noticed is that the delivery time when I order stuff online has a double negative erect.
    1 I don't get instant gratification
    2 when the things show up it's as if I get them for free since they're paid for already
  • rice_sandwich 24 Jan 2019 14:29:41 5,475 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tonka

How long would pass if you waited until you bought something that you genuinely need (or at least truly want and find important / useful after considering it for a long time).
  • Tonka 25 Jan 2019 06:24:41 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich
    How long before I had to buy something?

Hmmm.... I recently ordered a stack of books, plus I have a couple (a few couples... like a dozen) of unread ones in my shelf. I have boardgames to last me the year (if not more) and other than that... my phone is acting up. Might need to buy a new phone at the end of the year.

To be honest, if I only bought things I actually needed (not counting food and commuter cards or gasoline etc here) then I could go the entire year without.

Still beating myself up that I didn't get a copy of Leaving Earth though....
    ლ(ಠ益ಠ;)
    o(╥﹏╥;)o
  • KnuttinAtoll 25 Jan 2019 07:25:10 7,134 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know it's a bit futile but I consider the environmental impact when buying something non essential, especially things that would replace existing goods.

TV, phone, household items... if it's still in workable condition why replace it? It'll just end up in landfill making me feel bad. Having a minimalism OCD helps a lot, too.
  • THFourteen 25 Jan 2019 07:35:32 51,943 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll

If itís not broken I try and resell my old stuff. Even if I just get twenty quid, at least someone gets use out of it.
  • KnuttinAtoll 25 Jan 2019 08:09:32 7,134 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @THFourteen yeah, I recently got rid of our old (but not really old) mattress through a charity. Saves faffing about dealing with buyers and gives you a fuzzy feeling inside.

Point remains though for items that I could replace cos I'm bored with them. Just don't see the need really but this attitude only developed as I got older (which is weird given I have more disposable income now than before when I was more into getting the latest new shiny).
  • Load_2.0 25 Jan 2019 08:18:07 29,323 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have also ordered a Hori Hotass.

Did you stretch much before yours?

Edited by Load_2.0 at 08:18:34 25-01-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Jan 2019 08:29:53 26,689 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck, I just bought a new AV Receiver, 65" OLED, new HDMI cables, today I pick up a Playstation Pro and an Apple TV 4K.

Not a great start to the year.
    However, that's it for my tech purchases for the year. No way will I buy something else, no chance whatsoever, you hear me.

I'm hoping my online auctions for the receiver, telly and normal PS4 net me some decent cash .....
  • THFourteen 25 Jan 2019 08:53:41 51,943 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

heh.

thats exactly what i said to myself. Although if there's a Switch revision you know we'll both be preordering it.
  • Bambot 25 Jan 2019 16:20:18 1,361 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got THE URGE yesterday and splurged on PSVR.

May have been a pricey waste of time, it makes me feel sick in almost everything except Tetris Effect.
  • StixxUK 29 Apr 2019 16:01:11 8,145 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Do the likes of Starling and Monzo let you see your accounts with other banks? E.g. to analyse credit card spending?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 Apr 2019 16:07:53 15,733 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Do the likes of Starling and Monzo let you see your accounts with other banks? E.g. to analyse credit card spending?
    I don't think any of the banks have got on board with aggregation yet, but it won't be long. They're definitely all working on it.
  • brokenkey 29 Apr 2019 16:08:58 10,234 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's called an Account Information Service Provider, and no, it doesn't look like they are:
    https://www.openbanking.org.uk/customers/regulated-providers/page/7/

Just for fun, to contradict kal, a few of the larger high street banks do offer account aggregation, NatWest, First Direct and Barclays being examples.

Edited by brokenkey at 16:11:19 29-04-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 Apr 2019 16:10:50 15,733 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually apparently Barclays do it. The others will all follow super quick.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/account-aggregation/
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 Apr 2019 16:12:01 15,733 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Contradicted by a second.
  • StixxUK 29 Apr 2019 16:14:05 8,145 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Pretty sure Lloyds do as well, I've been getting info through their app saying to add other accounts.

Quite fancy using Starling but seems like a bit of a miss if I can't track credit card spending...
  • mrpon 29 Apr 2019 16:15:59 35,211 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Egg used to do it 10 years ago, I thought it was pretty cool at the time.
  • Technoishmatt 29 Apr 2019 19:52:00 3,397 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RBS have done it since I moved back to UK. I can see my BoS accounts on there.

Pretty sweet.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.