Read more books - 2017 edition Page 3

• Rodney 28 Feb 2017 07:49:01 4,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Looks like there have been three significant translations of The Count of Monteo Cristo, one 1848, one 1955 and one 1995, each taking liberties with the language. I guess the copy I tried to read was the 1848 one.
    I think the penguin classics translation is considered the better translation which I assume is the 1955 one. The original translation left out the lesbian subplot. The best bit obviously.
  • Malek86 28 Feb 2017 18:16:37 10,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich roughly 1200 pages, I believe. The Kindle doesn't make it easy to know, of course.

I've also read the Search for Lost Time three years ago, and that was a lot longer, but also more interesting. Overall, I have a penchant for long books, which is why I could never read 52 in a year...
  • mal 28 Feb 2017 19:45:15 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I should really get round to reading some Proust (namely the aforementioned In Search of Lost Time aka. A la Recherche Perdu). I seems to have been an important book for some of the authors whose work I've loved.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2017 23:23:54
    Jack Vance is the fucking nuts isn't he. The Dying Earth, To Live forever...

Edited by Yakyakyo at 19:24:43 08-03-2017
  • rice_sandwich 7 Mar 2017 20:08:32 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A new George Smiley book is out later this year. Nice.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/07/george-smiley-to-return-new-john-le-carre-novel-a-legacy-of-spies
  • Deleted user 7 March 2017 20:25:34
    Just finished The North Water. Amazing stuff.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Mar 2017 20:38:51 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Up to 8 books read so far this year. I can probably get through a couple more before the end of the month. I'm starting to get into a good rhythym and start a new book as soon as I've finished the old one. Mostly read non-fiction, though. Will definitely finish more books than games this year.

Non-Fiction

1. The Genius of Birds (Jennifer Ackerman)
    2. Food Rules (Michael Pollan)
    3. Absolutely on Music (Haruki Murakami)
    4. Grunt (Mary Roach)
    5. Gut (Giulia Enders)
    6. Paddle Your Own Canoe (Nick Offerman)

Fiction

1. The Sound of The Mountain (Yasunari Kawabata)
    2. Beware of Pity (Stefan Zweig)
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2017 07:08:27 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not a bad first quarter of the year with 10 books read. I can hopefully hit the same target for the second quarter. I'm still lagging behind in the fiction side of things.

Non-Fiction

4. Grunt (Mary Roach)
    5. Gut (Giulia Enders)
    7. Hi Is For Hawk (Helen MacDonald)
    8. The Path (Michael Puett/Christine Gross-Loh)

Fiction

• PazJohnMitch 7 Apr 2017 09:10:52 15,986 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My reading has pretty much stalled this year. I am still on book 2 and it is not a particularly long either (550 pages). Although it is not a bad story the writing style has no urgency to it.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2017 09:14:00 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

Bin it if you're not enjoying it and read something else.
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Apr 2017 09:17:17 15,986 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

I am enjoying the story but the writing is weaker than anything I read last year. Only 50 pages left of this one but I do have the 3rd part of the trilogy as well.

I am reading the Magician's Trilogy by Lev Grossman.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2017 09:23:37 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

If you've only got 50 pages left you could power through it in an hour and be done with it. These days I try to read the first 50 to 100 pages of a book in one sitting. If it doesn't grab me I'll abandon it. There's too much stuff to read to waste time ploughing through stuff I'm not really enjoying.
  • robthehermit 7 Apr 2017 09:33:19 7,803 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not too much reading done this year, I'm only near the end of my 4th. I'm not far from finishing Fool's Fate (Tawny Man 3) and then it will be on to the Rain Wild chronicles.
  • JoelStinty 7 Apr 2017 09:34:18 8,922 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    My reading has pretty much stalled this year. I am still on book 2 and it is not a particularly long either (550 pages). Although it is not a bad story the writing style has no urgency to it.
    Same. A work colleague lent me a book and i feel awkward if i return it without reading it. Read about 60% of it, which i think is enough to at least swing a conservation out of it :D . Shall be returning it later.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2017 09:50:59 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JoelStinty

I've been trying to make reading every day a habit, even if it's just 10 pages. I find it makes me feel more relaxed and of course it's interesting to learn or think about different things.
  • JoelStinty 7 Apr 2017 10:17:13 8,922 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Yeah i been really struggling to hit that. Hopefully a new book will re-fresh me! I'm in ab it of a self loathing mood/existential mood so living in Murikami's world might perk me up :D
  • souvlaki 7 Apr 2017 10:39:19 1,042 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm on a roll this year, but having had a two weeks holiday in the sun helped. Those two weeks alone I read 19 books*, so well into my 52 annual target.

* some of those are novellas and very short - I think 3 or 4 took an hour each and only a handful took 6 hours or more.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2017 11:49:03 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JoelStinty

There's a new Murakami short story collection out soon and his new novel just came out in Japan. So I guess we'll see that some time next year.
  • Lotos8ter 12 Apr 2017 15:27:44 2,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Fuck me, it's bleak. Makes The Road seem uplifting. Having said that, for a book written in the mid 1980's, it's incredibly fresh, beautifully written and so important in a non- preachy way. I enjoyed it immensely and will read it again later in the year. I don't know what else to write, I couldn't put it down and wanted it to end but didn't....
  • rice_sandwich 24 May 2017 09:34:48 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Falling a bit behind lately but should pick up the pace during the summer. I plan to read the rest of Elena Ferrante 's books as the first one was great.

Non-Fiction

4. Grunt (Mary Roach)
    5. Gut (Giulia Enders)
    7. Hi Is For Hawk (Helen MacDonald)
    8. The Path (Michael Puett/Christine Gross-Loh)

Fiction

3. Moth Smoke (Mohsin Hamid)
    4. My Brilliant Friend (Elena Ferrante)
    5. Barkskins (Annie Proulx)
    6. The God of Small Things (abandoned at 40%)

On the go right now:

Demons - Dostoevsky
    Men Without Women - Haruki Murakami
    Incarnations: India in 50 Lives - Sunil Khilnani
    A couple of poetry books
  • souvlaki 31 May 2017 08:51:37 1,042 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hey Rice___, what poetry books are you reading?

As part of my trying some spiritual growth, I've started reading a few this past month having never bothered before and having various degrees of success in regards of enjoyment :

John Cooper Clarke - some great, some good, some WTF
    Charles Bukowski - mostly great
    Syvlia Plath - mostly WTF, I need to work out how to interpret these better as I'm obviously missing something.
    Poe - some great, some good
    Emily Dickinson - some great, mostly good
  • rice_sandwich 31 May 2017 09:01:03 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @souvlaki

I don't know a lot about poetry, but:

AvHerring Famine - Adam O'Riordan
    Alice Oswald - all good stuff by her
    Anna Akmahtova - more difficult to get into but I like some of it

I just thought I should try reading something different from novels and non-fiction. I guess I've always considered short story collections and poetry as less good value for money, although that's something I'm reconsidering.
  • souvlaki 31 May 2017 10:00:58 1,042 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I read a lot of short story collections as I like dipping in and out of things.

Sounds like your similar to me on the poetry front, at least in terms of motivation. I'll check yours out - thanks :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 May 2017 10:13:52 13,958 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm reading this at the moment. It's a little overwritten in places but the sense of place and time and the lyricism of that are wonderful when it clicks.

Read three of his previous novels and this seems characteristic of all of his writing so far. That and including really graphic violence and rape scenes which are often a bit much (especially since there has something like that in every novel so far).

The cover illustration is magnificent
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31325980-the-gallows-pole
  • JoelStinty 12 Jun 2017 16:15:56 8,922 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman this afternoon.

Not bad. Started of well, meanders a bit in the middle, and comes together quite nicely at the end. I started to lose faith with the book in the middle and almost put it down, but i thought the last 50 odd pages were rather good indeed and kind of half want to re-read it again.

I can't remember what other books i have read this year so.

1.)American Gods (Neil Gaiman)

South of the border, west of the sun next, will start reading it in a couple of days i think.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Jun 2017 16:29:40 6,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JoelStinty

South of the Border is one of my favourite Murakami's. I've read it three or four times.
  • spamdangled 24 Jun 2017 22:45:39 31,803 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am coming to the end of From The Notebooks Of Dr. Brain.

I have previously read - and utterly loved - Soon I Will Be Invincible.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for satirical/ straight-playing superhero written fiction?
  • cov 24 Jun 2017 23:47:04 2,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    demons is a fantastic book - especially the pevear translation (which I suspect it is as the older translations usually call it the devils)
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2017 08:49:17 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman this afternoon.

Not bad. Started of well, meanders a bit in the middle, and comes together quite nicely at the end. I started to lose faith with the book in the middle and almost put it down, but i thought the last 50 odd pages were rather good indeed and kind of half want to re-read it again.

I can't remember what other books i have read this year so.

1.)American Gods (Neil Gaiman)

South of the border, west of the sun next, will start reading it in a couple of days i think.
    Heh, I just finished this a few days ago. Pretty much sums up my views too. Strong start that had me hooked, then the entire middle section nearly had me abandoning it (doesn't help that it's fupping huge!) and the ending pulled it back somewhat.

Not my favourite Gaimen book, and tbh not sure I get all the praise that gets heaped upon it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.