Following PS4 games to play with my son (a 4 year old)

First Previous
  • The_Goon 10 Mar 2017 12:14:03 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My son has become increasingly aware that daddy has a Playstation. He's played a few educational games on our iPads to now but has shown some interest in 'proper' games recently. I let him have a go at Rocket League a few weeks back because it is basically just driving in a big park which he enjoyed but it would be good to try something else I can actually play with him.

We tried LBP3 but he didn't seem too enthused (although he was pretty sleepy in fairness!). Overcooked looks a bit too quick but willing to give it a go.

Anyway, thoughts? Recommendations? Obviously child friendly games please! Cheers in advance.
  • doctor_nick 10 Mar 2017 12:20:51 237 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My son's loved Peggle 2; he's six but his four-year-old sister enjoys it too (it has rainbows and a unicorn thing...). I think with really young kids like this you need simple games in short bursts - plus we're trying to keep screen time down generally.

Having said that, any Lego games might work, it probably depends how interested your son is in actually using a controller and doing the 'right' things. Lego SW TFA is great.

Oh, and how about games like Abzu and Journey?

Edited by doctor_nick at 12:21:47 10-03-2017

Edited by doctor_nick at 12:22:33 10-03-2017
  • BigOrkWaaagh 10 Mar 2017 12:23:26 9,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Crash Bandicoot when it comes out. Old Skylanders are cheap.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2017 12:24:25
    Hohokum maybe?
  • its-Captain-snowy 10 Mar 2017 12:26:50 24 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anything from the Lego series
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 10 Mar 2017 12:29:19 47,498 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My boy is four and plays Lego Avengers, Lego Harry Potter and Transformers Devastation. Starting him on the Platinum games early.

Although he does need help in certain places with that last one.
  • FatsoJetson 10 Mar 2017 12:31:44 405 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    its-Captain-snowy wrote:
    Anything from the Lego series
    My son was 4 when he asked for the Lego Movie game. He loved it, and we played through the whole thing in split screen. Lego games are still his favourite now he's 7. He is impossibly excited to play Lego Worlds (or Lego Minecraft, as he calls it) when he gets home from school today.

Our favourites have been Lego Movie, Lego Jurassic World, Lego Batman 2 and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
  • robc84 10 Mar 2017 12:38:04 14,512 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My son is 4 and a half and has been showing an interest for a while now. I've been struggling a bit to find a game he is able to play (he seems to be struggling a little with the concept of the controller and the relation to what happens on the screen - then gets frustrated).

Tried Mario Kart last night with a bit more success. Will look into some of those mentioned above though.
  • mothercruncher 10 Mar 2017 12:40:31 17,839 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My daughter is just shy of six now and I've, cautiously, been introducing her to games.
    Co-ordination has been the biggest hurdle. I think we take it for granted that we move a character and simultaneoulsy be the "director" and control the camera. She really struggles with this still, alongside having to use all the other buttons too.

So, simple games, minimal controls etc, simple logic etc.

We loved playing Journey together and the way Tearaway gently builds in control complexity works well too. Little Big Planet too.
  • wuntyate 10 Mar 2017 13:20:18 14,963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mines been playing Skylanders since he was about 4 and minecraft as well so I would recommend them. He's also ended in hysterics playing Octodad (especially as we can both control limbs at the same time, it descends into chaos). Goat Simulator is completely stupid and gives him a small area to just fart about in so he likes that as well. As others have said the Lego games are good (I'm also taking him after school to grab Lego Worlds.

He has played and liked some other things but I can't quite remember off the top of my head.

Reckon he'll be ready for Dark Souls soon...
  • Flying_Pig 10 Mar 2017 15:23:10 16,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Both of my boys adore Minecraft. My 7 year old can basically play solo (although he'll only play in survival mode with me), and has a really good handle on traversing the 3D landscape. My youngest (5) hasn't mastered movement yet, so I move Steve while he verbally directs me.

My eldest has also really enjoyed Need for Speed Most Wanted and Mutant Blobs attack on the Vita.

If I can tear them away from Minecraft, then I'd like to have another go at LBP3 or one of the Lego games.
  • pacrifice 10 Mar 2017 15:35:38 5,247 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My 5 year old nephew loves anything where you have to customise the level. Minecraft, little big planet.
  • monkman76 10 Mar 2017 15:37:46 16,172 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My 4-year-old son likes watching me play Grow Home, and it was free on PS Plus a while ago.
  • the_milkybar_kid 10 Mar 2017 15:48:17 8,274 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know how good it'd be for young kids but Ratchet and Clank?
  • Psiloc 10 Mar 2017 17:02:55 5,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah my nephew adores Minecraft and other fart around making stuff games.

Mine is only 8 months old so got a while before I have to think about this, but I'd prefer she didn't want me to play Minecraft with her when the time comes. I really can't stand the "make your own fun" sandboxes, my thought process is always "there's a pile of games here that have the fun included...".

Although knowing my luck she's going to end up loving football and athletics anyway.
  • pyper777 10 Mar 2017 18:11:31 247 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tricky Towers, Shovel Knight.
  • Kangoo 10 Mar 2017 19:20:46 1,404 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My daughters (6 & 4) love the Lego games, Disney Infinity is still popular and the figures are really cheap now and Goat Simulator always seems to get laughs from them.

Sonic Mania maybe a good one for the future, my eldest loved playing the originals on PS3.
  • manfredkrieg 10 Mar 2017 19:44:11 6 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe he's too young but there is co-op on this game. One with the Fox, the other with the children, but it's rated "Teen".

Here a (simplified but cute and fun) Zelda clone, again not sure if it's appropriate because it's an arcade game, but a good advice for (not so young) children.

Edited by manfredkrieg at 20:04:50 10-03-2017
  • Deleted user 10 March 2017 20:30:55
    Lego worlds
  • mrpon 10 Mar 2017 20:40:15 36,286 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    My 4-year-old son likes watching me play Grow Home, and it was free on PS Plus a while ago.
    This.

Edited by mrpon at 20:40:26 10-03-2017
  • The_Goon 13 Mar 2017 10:03:11 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks, chaps. I'll have a look at some of the Lego games to see if he's up for it.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Mar 2017 10:10:21 9,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad My lad is 5, likes lego and Skylanders, Mario etc. Thought about LW but worried it might be too complicated for him. What's your opinion? I know you've been banging on about it in the LW thread.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2017 10:51:14
    @BigOrkWaaagh I really like it. It's a bit buggy at the minute though. Had it crash once and corrupted save a couple of times although I never actually lost any progress.
    It's very charming, love the world's and it's a Lego game so you know what to expect. The camera is a little fiddly when navigating tight spaces and when building. I'm still only getting used to it myself mind and probably played about 3-4 hrs.
  • robc84 15 Dec 2017 14:56:56 14,512 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So my son is 5 and half, and Christmas is approaching! I want to get him a game for the ps4, as he really wants to play on it. However, whatever games he tries he can't really do and he gets frustrated easily so it usually ends with me telling him off for getting cross and turning it off.

I downloaded the lego avengers demo which he did like but, well, see above. I'm thinking if I get a second DS4 we can play it together and I can do the 'hard stuff' and he can just run around button mashing and killing bad guys. The downside of this plan is that I have to buy another DS4 and they are so expensive!

So its a toss up between avengers and batman at the moment, but I'm leaning towards the former as he can be lots of different superheroes.

I was also thinking of Lego Worlds as mentioned above and possibly minecraft, but I don't think he'd have the patience for either of those.

Any other suggestions?
  • minky-kong 15 Dec 2017 15:26:30 14,598 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shower With Your Dad Simulator.
  • minky-kong 15 Dec 2017 15:26:58 14,598 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, and Cobra Club.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 15 Dec 2017 15:35:59 9,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    So my son is 5 and half, and Christmas is approaching! I want to get him a game for the ps4, as he really wants to play on it. However, whatever games he tries he can't really do and he gets frustrated easily so it usually ends with me telling him off for getting cross and turning it off.

I downloaded the lego avengers demo which he did like but, well, see above. I'm thinking if I get a second DS4 we can play it together and I can do the 'hard stuff' and he can just run around button mashing and killing bad guys. The downside of this plan is that I have to buy another DS4 and they are so expensive!

So its a toss up between avengers and batman at the moment, but I'm leaning towards the former as he can be lots of different superheroes.

I was also thinking of Lego Worlds as mentioned above and possibly minecraft, but I don't think he'd have the patience for either of those.

Any other suggestions?
    Yooka Laylee?
  • robc84 15 Dec 2017 15:39:35 14,512 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

Yooka Laylee is a good shout, thanks.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.