Following PS4 games to play with my son (a 4 year old) Page 3

Next Last
  • Vortex808 19 Dec 2017 12:42:04 13,870 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    @CompetitiveDad Hmmmm. Is there a kiddy mode? Not sure I want to have to deal with the critters at night etc.
    Yes, there is a non-survival mode. I forget what it is called.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2017 12:47:21
    Vortex808 wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    @CompetitiveDad Hmmmm. Is there a kiddy mode? Not sure I want to have to deal with the critters at night etc.
    Yes, there is a non-survival mode. I forget what it is called.
    Yeah it's creative/peaceful we have it set at, it's basically a blank canvas with access to items already there.

I'm no expert on it so someone I'm sure will advise better. We are wanting to move on to the adventure ourselves but no idea how to play any other mode :)
  • don81 22 Dec 2017 18:24:18 241 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @robc84
    Regarding controllers you want to have a look at this one, as it's perfect for a 5 year olds hands and its cheap.
    [la-388741926640|crid:66128557250|nw:g|rnd:17056733374789631024|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1006886&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0djnpp6e2AIVjrztCh0YLwRAEAQYASABEgIVefD_BwE]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7455359?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200291570|agid:12525671810|tid:aud-144400486596:pla-388741926640|crid:66128557250|nw:g|rnd:17056733374789631024|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1006886&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0djnpp6e2AIVjrztCh0YLwRAEAQYASABEgIVefD_BwE]

We have Lego Marvel Super Heroes and my son loves just opening characters on the levels then in sandbox mode playing as them and opening others.

Edited by don81 at 18:26:54 22-12-2017
  • The_Goon 22 Dec 2017 20:28:29 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lego worlds is on sale on PSN for £11.99. Grabbed that this evening and had a quick play. Looks decent and simple enough at first with enough scope to get complicated later. Looking forward to playing it some more.

Had to get something after the wife threw a wobbly about us playing Street Fighter. He can go to karate and watch TMNT, but a fighting game is over the line apparently.
  • The_Goon 4 Jan 2018 11:25:36 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lego Worlds is actually pretty fun. Perhaps a little complicated for a 4/5 year old though. Definitely needs help. It sticks to kid-oriented stuff though (pirate world, dinosaur world, candy world) and so it's going down a bit of a treat. Could do with a slightly better camera though because he's not yet quite grasped movement yet, which I think isn't helped with the camera moving.
  • Bertie Senior Staff Writer, Eurogamer.net 4 Jan 2018 12:07:26 1,765 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Another shout for Skylanders and Minecraft here! We played the Lego games but they never stuck like the other two. Also, bizarrely, BroForce!
  • robc84 4 Jan 2018 13:37:39 14,512 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We completed Lego Marvel Avengers yesterday - he loved it. He's now enjoying the free play.

It was a bit of a struggle and frustrating at times but generally he did pretty well.

Personally, I found the game pretty frustrating, but then I've never really got on with the lego games. The humour is great, but the gameplay is far too chaotic and it can be a struggle to figure out what you need to a lot of the time (e.g. break a particular object to get a kit to build, stand in a certain spot with a certain character etc., all the while while swarms of enemies are attacking you). The boy enjoyed himself though and that's what matters!

Might consider lego worlds next, as he likes just wandering around randomly :)
  • The_Goon 4 Jan 2018 13:48:16 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:Might consider lego worlds next, as he likes just wandering around randomly :)
    I need to get better with letting my son do this (i.e. wandering around). I find it all too easy to get frustrated that he isn't playing the game "like it's supposed to be played".
  • robc84 4 Jan 2018 14:09:31 14,512 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @The_Goon

I know the feeling. I kept saying 'come over here I need you to do X to move the game forward' when he was randomly walking around or trying to beat up the endless swarm of bad guys that wont stop until you move to point X and press Y.

I think he has figured out how to just wander around in the city area, drive (and crash) cars etc. which he seems to enjoy. A particular highlight for him was driving a car into the river :)
  • The_Goon 25 Jan 2018 12:04:40 1,452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Typical. A few weeks ago, I show the boy videos and screenshots of Lego Worlds and Minecraft and ask him to choose. Lego Worlds was bought and a little fun was had (I think he's still a bit too young to play it properly).

This morning he asks me "Daddy, do we have Linefield? My friends were talking about it". Bah. His bday is coming up in fairness so maybe he'll get it then. I've been reading rumours that you can play it split screen which would be quite good fun I think.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Jan 2018 13:25:30 9,449 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My boy asked about Portal Knights as he saw an ad for it so like a good father I duly downloaded the demo and he lost his mind for it. On sale atm too.
  • Arrold 24 Feb 2018 09:14:19 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just had a marvelous few days playing Rime with my 4 1/2 year old boy, it's like a tomb raider open world type game with puzzles to solve and starts really gently, there's not much that's time critical so he could be left to run around and get used, or at least attempt to use, that 2 stick control thing.

There is a big bird in chapter 2 that I needed to help him run away from. And he did need lots of help with tricky climbs and some of the puzzles took some thinking about but I think I enjoyed playing through it as much as he did.

There are some dark ghost like creatures which at one stage in the game start to try and suck energy out of you that he didn't really like but they're not violent or anything, I just helped him with that bit too.

The visuals and some of the music are gorgeous in this game and there's a cute fox that shows you the way throughout the game, and it's free via ps+ in February. We enjoyed it so much we've started it again

Edited by Arrold at 09:21:17 24-02-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Jun 2020 17:23:32 25,655 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sure there was another "games to play with your kid" thread but can't seem to find. Anyway having loads of fun playing Minecraft Dungeons with the boy. Well worth picking up.
  • Saul_Iscariot 27 Jun 2020 21:54:30 3,745 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My seven year old nephew blew me off for an online session of Animal Crossing to play Minecraft Dungeons today. So fuck that game.
  • richardiox 27 Jun 2020 22:17:42 8,720 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My 4.5 year old is currently rotating around Forza Horizon 4 (off road is perfect cause you can't really crash), Ori and Mario Kart & Odyssey.

He was getting proper into Zelda BOTW, mainly catching and stabling horses, until the wife noticed it's 10+ and put the brakes on.

I often wish sandbox games like RDR2 or GTAV had kid modes that removed the blood, guns and violence. He loves horses to much he'd be crazy for RDR. Let him play it once, strictly monitored...just interacting with horses....but inevitably a shoot out always approached and I had to turn it off.
  • mothercruncher 27 Jun 2020 22:39:34 17,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Knack.

Donít fucking play that.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Jun 2020 12:22:30 3,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    My 4.5 year old is currently rotating around Forza Horizon 4 (off road is perfect cause you can't really crash), Ori and Mario Kart & Odyssey.

He was getting proper into Zelda BOTW, mainly catching and stabling horses, until the wife noticed it's 10+ and put the brakes on.

I often wish sandbox games like RDR2 or GTAV had kid modes that removed the blood, guns and violence. He loves horses to much he'd be crazy for RDR. Let him play it once, strictly monitored...just interacting with horses....but inevitably a shoot out always approached and I had to turn it off.
    The two latest Assassin Creed games have the educational modes and I know Odyssey has a horse to ride around the full game map on if that is his cup of tea. PEGI age ratings are pretty awful for judging games especially the 7-16 range which are often so interchangable (too many games get the 16 that even Germany give a 12 to). When my son was younger we just had to decide on a game by game basis with only 18s being autoavoid (even now that he is 14 but thankfullt he has zero interest in tge likes kf GTA and CoD and would rather play EDF, Pokemon, Zelda, Minecraft etc)
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.