Visiting Korea

• Mageme 17 Mar 2017 13:36:00 2,247 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be visiting South Korea at the beginning of next month for a few days (as a side-trip).

Will be based in Seoul around Myeong-dong. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations on things to see or eat?

Will be taking the (young) kids so limited in terms of activities and travel distance, plus the parents-in-law are tagging along so would probably need to fit in some historical stuff. Cheers!
  • Syrette 17 Mar 2017 13:50:53 50,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    North Korea is nice at this time of year.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2017 14:40:59
    *Corea
  • Frogofdoom 17 Mar 2017 14:45:49 14,847 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Best avoided as trump is getting into a war of words with North Korea and knowing what a buffoon he is, he will most likely invade the wrong country :)
  • rice_sandwich 17 Mar 2017 14:54:52 5,921 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Drink soju and eat kimchi.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 17 Mar 2017 16:30:01 3,645 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I lived in Korea for 3 years so know lots around the country but I didn't like Seoul so didn't spend much time there at all. I liked the southern provinces more... Not sure how much help I can be in just Seoul. Most people will visit the old gates (although the main one is a replica as a drunk Korean burned down the original) and some of the palaces. I will have to look back through my albums and see where I actually went to.

Modern stuff is aplenty but depends what ylu want to do. There is a cool retro games alley in Yongsan though with all sorts of weird retro games and things (including bootleg consoles I have never heard of). Foreigners tend to go to Itaewon for booze but I am not a fan and preferred some of the other areas, but again I didn't really go to Seoul boozing very often either.
  • neilka 17 Mar 2017 16:51:29 22,871 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I believe ecosse is the authority on Myeong-dong.
  • mrpon 17 Mar 2017 16:52:45 35,633 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :D
  • senso-ji 17 Mar 2017 16:55:31 9,943 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was in Korea a few years ago. Shame you aren't staying a few days in Busan, as that was the highlight for me.

In Seoul, make sure you go to Gwangjang market for traditional street food and drinks. It has an amazing atmosphere. Also, Koreans love their food, so be sure to try as much as you can, as it's all to a high standard. And Bulgogi is a must (unless you're vegetarian).

The National Museum is nice, especially if you like the British museum, as it's layout is similar. The national folk museum was better, imho, as it's set inside an old palace, and you can walk around recreations of ancient Korean villages.

TLDR: you'll find more than enough to see and do in a few days.
  • Mageme 19 Mar 2017 06:29:25 2,247 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.