Get out

First Previous
  • Vice.Destroyer 18 Mar 2017 10:58:52 7,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm surprised that there has not been a discussion thread about this already. I saw it yesterday and surprisingly, the hype is not unfounded. It is brilliant. Anybody else seen it?

Edited by Vice.Destroyer at 10:59:17 18-03-2017
  • Deleted user 18 March 2017 11:39:53
    Watched the trailer for this last week and thought it looked great. Seems to be reviewing really well.
  • drhcnip 18 Mar 2017 11:47:58 6,213 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    excellent - read about this the other day and it was completely off my radar, will have to catch it at some point
  • H1ggyLTD 18 Mar 2017 12:10:17 11,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this like when everybody said It Follows was the first horror film in ages worth watching, but was pants like all the rest..?
  • Deleted user 18 March 2017 12:19:26
    It follows was great....Imo.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Mar 2017 12:41:15 19,337 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:43:06 18-03-2017
  • H1ggyLTD 18 Mar 2017 13:01:17 11,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    It follows was great....Imo.
    1 good bit in the whole film.

Increasingly of the opinion that horror films re just for the youngsters.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2017 13:10:16
    Well i wouldnt class myself as young but i did enjoy it follows. Oh well it's not the end of the world is it :)
  • Vice.Destroyer 18 Mar 2017 21:06:47 7,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm reading up on the symbolism of the film and I am quite surprised that I missed a whole bunch of it on first viewing. It's a really clever film. And it has spawned a whole bunch of funny memes.

This should become the international standard for "negro in distress"

• Deleted user 18 March 2017 22:00:17
    Why do you get to decide on the spoilers
  • Skirlasvoud 18 Mar 2017 22:06:51 4,039 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only thing I didn't get was why?

Does racism usually work like that? Were Hitler and the Ku Klux Klan just really, really jealous of the Jews and Blacks and secretly wanted to be them?
  • ghostgate2001 18 Mar 2017 22:16:31 651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also not young, also enjoyed It Follows. Liked the John Carpenter-ish score, the female-fart (I haven't seen one of those on-screen since The Young Ones and, trust me, women do fart), the decayed Detroit locations, the interesting concept, and the way it's essentially a variation on "Night of the Demon" - an old favourite of mine.

It managed to pull off some genuinely unsettling moments on a minimal budget. The bit where the "it" comes through the door behind the other cast-members made the hairs on the back of my neck go up, and I honestly can't remember the last horror film to manage that trick :)

The film definitely deserves some respect, even if (IMHO) the set-up was far stronger than the pay-off and (IMHO) it probably could've used a third-act re-write. Heck, the title alone demonstrates more intelligence than most entire horror movies these days.
  • Bambot 19 Mar 2017 00:12:06 1,310 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Saw it today (then came home and watched Train To Busan!) and enjoyed it tremendously. People actually applauded (I think in relief) when the car door opened to reveal you -know-what.

Really tight little movie that worked extremely well on so many levels. I got the drift of what was going on pretty early but it didn't detract from it at all, and I really did believe in you-know-who till almost the last minute.

Edited by Bambot at 00:13:53 19-03-2017
  • Bambot 19 Mar 2017 00:17:29 1,310 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved It Follows, one of the most enjoyably creepy movies i've seen in a long time, and it had plenty of moments that really don't bear close inspection; I think Tarantino said it best, that there's so much awesome but so much that just doesn't work within the rules it sets for itself. The fact that the ending works out the way it does almost spoils it for me, but not quite.

Anyway, Get Out is not a horror like It Follows is a horror. It is creepy as fuck though, and funny and smart.
  • Bambot 19 Mar 2017 00:19:37 1,310 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    b0rk wrote:
    Okay having read some reviews for it this seems to be a horror movie mixed in with some social commentary. I wonder how heavy-handed that commentary is or if it's handled with some degree of subtlety. Sounds interesting anyway, I'll check it out.
    Plot-wise there's definitely some kind of black/white thing going on, but I'll say no more ;)

Commentary-wise, there's plenty to get your teeth into but you can take it or leave it, it's not preachy.

Edited by Bambot at 00:25:20 19-03-2017
  • Vice.Destroyer 19 Mar 2017 00:31:25 7,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree with Bambot. I missed virtually all of the symbolism when I watched it in the cinema. Things like "The sunken Place", the flash allowing the people to see the light, so to speak and go from passenger to being in actual control of their bodies, the fact that this time picking cotton was actually a boon for the black guy. Other things like this.

I know that EG likes to go deeper and critique films harsher than virtually any other place on the internet, and this film certainly stands up to scrutiny, but I think that it is still a film worth watching. It was made on a tiny budget, teased out great performances from the cast and in my mind, I really do want to see films made that don't have to attract a huge budget or have an insane box office return target in order to not be considered a flop.

Films like this need to exist and we should all support them. :)
  • Pierre2k 19 Mar 2017 01:43:59 1,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another non-youngster who absolutely loved It Follows. That is all.
  • mal 19 Mar 2017 03:04:36 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And to contrast, another non-youngster that felt like It Follows was a short film that had been padded out, and it's not even that long a film by today's standards. I found The Babadook a much tougher watch, in a good way.

Edit: I haven't seen Get Out yet, but plan to when it comes to my local.

Edited by mal at 03:05:54 19-03-2017
  • wildbillch 19 Mar 2017 08:36:18 92 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Saw Get Out at a preview thing on Thursday and absolutely loved it. It's not horror as in it's particuatly scary, but is very tense yet also funny. Beautifully crafted on a technical level as well. Well worth seeing
  • H1ggyLTD 19 Mar 2017 10:53:53 11,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ghostgate2001 wrote:
    Also not young, also enjoyed It Follows. Liked the John Carpenter-ish score, the female-fart (I haven't seen one of those on-screen since The Young Ones and, trust me, women do fart), the decayed Detroit locations, the interesting concept, and the way it's essentially a variation on "Night of the Demon" - an old favourite of mine.

It managed to pull off some genuinely unsettling moments on a minimal budget. The bit where the "it" comes through the door behind the other cast-members made the hairs on the back of my neck go up, and I honestly can't remember the last horror film to manage that trick :)
    That was the bit i thought was good.
  • OllyJ 21 Mar 2017 08:02:38 4,397 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thought it was brilliant, it really keeps you engrossed. I think the trailers did show far too much from the final act though....

FWIW hated It Follows, absolute bag of shite with decent music and a couple of creepy images IMO.
  • Psychotext 24 Mar 2017 00:33:26 64,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just saw this, properly enjoyed it (as did the missus).

Thankfully I hadn't seen any trailers for it, so no spoilers going in.
  • Devilligan 24 Mar 2017 09:58:22 587 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hated It Follows (all style and very little depth) and loved Get Out.

It's an immensely creepy film, packed full of horrible little details that build up it's thematic weight. It's also very funny in places.

Fully recommend you give it a try and go in knowing as little about it as possible.
  • Skirlasvoud 13 May 2017 17:07:09 4,039 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is really interesting!

Movie was far smarter than I gave it credit for.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 17:11:13 13-05-2017
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 May 2017 17:09:51 9,877 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    addyb has gone? When did that happen?
  • beastmaster 25 Dec 2018 14:29:07 19,064 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Trailer from their new film Us.

• elstoof 25 Dec 2018 14:33:49 22,600 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was reading the other day something odd about how the director considers this a semi sequel to Being John Malkovich
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.