Registered 16 years ago
  • Frogofdoom 14 Jun 2017 09:17:17 16,587 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks pretty good to me.
  • Nades 17 Jun 2017 00:59:03 2,907 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Liking the look of CoD this year. Glad they're finally going back to WW2, as long as the connections are too bad (they definitely won't be good) and the maps are good then I'll play it a lot.
  • Derblington 17 Jun 2017 08:43:02 33,414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll never understand why people care so much about not wanting female soldiers in a multiplayer video game?

It's not *actually* recreating WW2 in MP - there are a hundred gameplay mechanics that don't make it real before you even consider gender, and it's not like shooting a digital female is suddenly going to make you realise it's not real; there's a zombie mode that no-one bats an eye at; it allows women to play a hobby with actual representation.

The only thing "pathetic" about it are the boys that get angry about it on the internet.

No idea why you feel you need swastikas in MP either? There are legal reasons around it's removal in MP and nothing to do with Activision. It's present throughout the campaign.

Edited by Derblington at 09:18:29 17-06-2017
  • JoelStinty 17 Jun 2017 09:53:29 8,924 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I'll never understand why people care so much about not wanting female soldiers in a multiplayer video game?

It's not *actually* recreating WW2 in MP - there are a hundred gameplay mechanics that don't make it real before you even consider gender, and it's not like shooting a digital female is suddenly going to make you realise it's not real; there's a zombie mode that no-one bats an eye at; it allows women to play a hobby with actual representation.

The only thing "pathetic" about it are the boys that get angry about it on the internet.

No idea why you feel you need swastikas in MP either? There are legal reasons around it's removal in MP and nothing to do with Activision. It's present throughout the campaign.

+1

Also, people claiming there were no women soldiers in WW2 may need to look at some history books as well, Especially the Soviet Union.
  • Derblington 17 Jun 2017 10:26:21 33,414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They were there but they were exceptionally rare. That's still not really the point though. It's not 1945, it's a video game and there are female fans. Why shouldn't they be able to represent themselves in the same way as us?

Recently the WW charity female-only screening has drawn ire for excluding men, yet Wonder Woman is a female hero. We can't can't have it all ways. At some point we have to ditch the special rules and just let people have a good time enjoying the same things.

The CoD WW2 campaign is the "authentic representation". The MP suite is competitive entertainment. It can have women, it doesn't need swastikas - it's ok to be inclusive, it doesn't take anything away from you as a man.
  • Derblington 17 Jun 2017 10:32:46 33,414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    pelican_ wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    What are the legal reasons?

I know Germany has legal restrictions on the symbol, but that is generally controlled via localisation.
    Yeah, that's it, though I believe it pertains more importantly to online representation, hence it's use in the SP but the exclusion in the MP. It's not Activision pandering to SJWs and all that bullshit that the internet likes to throw at people. This has a been a thing that we've had to deal with for years when releasing titles to Germany.

At the end of the day, it's not a necessity to see the Swastika in the MP. It's not like they've just made up the balkenkreuz - it was a prominent symbol across the German military.
  • Derblington 17 Jun 2017 10:39:16 33,414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bloobat wrote:
    Yes I am aware there were 'some' women soldiers but they were limited to resistance forces etc and even then were one in a thousand.

The reason it's annoying is it just feels dumbed down. If I'm playing a world war 2 game I want to see the symbols and I certainly don't want loads of women in game call outs the whole time.

I'm going off the YouTube videos I've seen and in them the gameplay is full of women call outs which is just frankly annoying.

Edit: you don't see any censorship I'm shows like Man in the high castle which is fantastic btw
    Female inclusion and removal of a single Nazi symbol is "dumbed down".
    Female voices in MP are "annoying".

There is a... small difference between the Nazis and the German military. A large amount of blurred lines at the time, sure, but not all German military uniforms wore the swastika, especially on the red armband. Why is so important that you need to specifically see that symbol, but don't care about the iron cross or odal rune?

Edited by Derblington at 10:39:27 17-06-2017
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 Jun 2017 10:52:24 32,519 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Call of Duty is not designed as a historical recreation where realism is king. So why have Swastikas in multiplayer, where it won't improve gameplay at all? Why leave women out?

The good news is you know these things now, before release, so if you're not happy, you don't buy it :)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 Jun 2017 10:56:52 33,021 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We've got a live one here.
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Jun 2017 11:00:05 12,840 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He just wants his women quiet and his Nazis proper Nazis.

What's wrong with that?
  • JamboWayOh 17 Jun 2017 11:42:14 19,988 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    He just wants his women quiet and his Nazis proper Nazis.

What's wrong with that?
    Absolutely nothing at all, he's just exercising his right to wanting digital women back in their digital kitchens and remembering a time when ALL German soldiers were nazis. On another note the mp does look a wee bit boring, I know COD is a known quantity but jesus...
  • Derblington 17 Jun 2017 17:58:44 33,414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bloobat wrote:
    Because it is much more recognisable than either of those. It is literally the first thing most people think of when you say Nazi behind perhaps maybe Hitler.
    So it's not necessarily that you want an authentic experience, you just want reinforcement of what you think a WW2 game should be?

I just don't see a) why it isn't in MP and b) why women need to be?
    Because it's 2018, and some people are actively trying not to be arseholes.

Edited by Derblington at 17:58:59 17-06-2017
  • Rodney 17 Jun 2017 22:32:44 4,465 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I hear WWII didn't have zombies either.

No buy from me.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jun 2017 04:01:45 10,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember grandpapa telling me how the front was a great way to meet the ladies. What a man, he ended the war with a 1.3 K/D ratio.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Jun 2017 09:44:47 25,598 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's political correctness gone mad and completely ruins the authenticity of the game imo.

I remember my granddad sitting me on his knee and telling me his old war stories. "Deckard my boy" he used to say, "the war wasn't all comradery and glory like they show in those old war films. War was hell. I remember we used to hurtle around the place at 3, sometimes 400 miles an hour shooting hyper accurate peashooters at each other. On a good day I'd die 10 or 15 times a day. And let me tell you, those 30 seconds waiting to reincarnate were absolute hell. It wasn't without its good times though. I remember one time I killed 10 of those nazi bastards in a row without dying and through the power of astral projection I was suddenly a blimp captain raining death on all those below. Luckily the shells knew not to kill my friends though.

The one thing that always stuck out to me though was all the swastikas around the place. You couldn't get moved for the fucking things. That and there were absolutely no woman anywhere of course.
  • Derblington 18 Jun 2017 10:28:33 33,414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bloobat wrote:
    I don't see Wolfenstien being censored
    A. It's very specifically dealing with a mostly fictional Nazi threat, as opposed to a based-on factual history world war conflict that didn't only contain Nazis.

B. There's no multiplayer. The swasticka is present in the CoD campaign too.

Part of the reason they're removing it from MP is that they don't want avatars, which are now personally customisable, and therefor can be an accurate representation of the players, to be represented by it. Same way they will ban players who create in the tools in their games if they're reported. There's sensitivity around the symbol, depending on who you are and where you're from, and they're being courteous to all groups. Maybe try a bit of that?

Edited by Derblington at 10:35:02 18-06-2017
  • Nades 18 Jun 2017 17:44:11 2,907 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cheese101 wrote:
    Nades lad!!! You love cod you lad!!!!
    You going somewhere with this?
  • JYM60 18 Jun 2017 18:13:13 18,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not sure why anyone would give a shit about women being in the game. Haven't they been in pretty much all cods? Can't deny the call outs sounds pretty bad though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.