Moving from Oz to the UK Page 2

Next Last
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 07:33:41 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Melbourne has wild changes in temp. It can go from 40 odd (nearly 50 for a few weeks a couple years ago) to 10 degrees the next day. We get pretty good at coping with weather.
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 07:35:54 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @quadfather That's what I want to hear. If I can keep the kids happy but be out in the country side, that's perfect.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2017 07:39:26
    Rent short term first so you can pick where you want to live at more leisure. I emigrated to Melbourne years ago and didn't do that and regretted it as everything was rushed and I didn't know the area or anything.

Internet and mobile phone coverage are good in the UK apart from in some very rural areas. Schools are generally good, but there are some areas to avoid in Manchester and that's the main thing to be aware of. Obviously outdoor swimming pools don't really exist here, but lots of gyms have them and their fees are getting less exorbitant. Avoid gyms with year long contracts.

Cars and petrol cost more here, but a lot of groceries are cheaper and there's more choice. School and medical care is free unlike I found in Oz. I was worse off in Oz financially, so hopefully you'll do okay that way, depending on your salary. Weather here tends to suck but it's prettier and greener because of that. There's more going on in the UK and more to see.

It was quite a few years ago I emigrated though, but if it helps, I don't regret moving back here at all (weather aside).
  • challenge_hanukkah 27 Mar 2017 07:59:03 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    adz wrote:
    @Youthist Anyone know what he looks like? I'll try to avoid him.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Mar 2017 08:01:26 6,976 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nitrous wrote:
    Iagree wrote:
    I would stay in oz if I were you
    +1

Sorry not helpful. Avoid Eccles and Salford.
    Ramsbottom i have heard of but it is a distance from Manchester.

What's the location of work?
    Some of the newer developed parts of Salford are alright. Lived there for a year.

Didsbury is the go to place, but it's not cheap and probably isn't much in the way of houses for sale.

Avoid Moston like the plague
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2017 08:17:01 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @adz
    Out of curiosity, why?
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 08:36:16 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear. Change of scene. Opportunity came up to work for a few years in England and the kids are young enough that's it's not tearing them away from an established life. We could move elsewhere in oz as well, but we felt that if we were going to bother moving, may as well go somewhere further away.

I love Australia, and we will be back, but we are a fair way from anywhere else here. England is close to everywhere. And I've loved it when I've visited in the past. And I haven't seen much of the north below Scotland.
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 08:37:40 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah Duly noted.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2017 08:39:03
    adz wrote:
    Melbourne has wild changes in temp. It can go from 40 odd (nearly 50 for a few weeks a couple years ago) to 10 degrees the next day. We get pretty good at coping with weather.
    I love how you are using 10 degrees as the minimum temperature to explain how you can deal with cold weather...

I think a 10 is max in manchester (once you factor in wind chill, rain, the eye of Sauron etc)
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2017 08:41:03 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    adz wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear. Change of scene. Opportunity came up to work for a few years in England and the kids are young enough that's it's not tearing them away from an established life. We could move elsewhere in oz as well, but we felt that if we were going to bother moving, may as well go somewhere further away.

I love Australia, and we will be back, but we are a fair way from anywhere else here. England is close to everywhere. And I've loved it when I've visited in the past. And I haven't seen much of the north below Scotland.
    Cool, just wondering as I visited Melbourne last year and thought it was fantastic. You're not moving back at a decent time I'm afraid, the U.K is sadly going to have a rough time in the next few years. I personally wouldn't look at moving there at the moment. Hopefully the Brexit disaster will end up not as bad as it looks or there will be some serious change but who knows.

Good luck, Manchester is cool, my mate lived in Chorlton which is nice as long as you're not allergic to vegetarians and/or hipsters.
  • Nazo 27 Mar 2017 08:47:17 1,018 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably not a bad time to do it, last chance to experience life in the UK before it tears itself apart and all that. Make sure you've got a route home though, things could get ugly over the next few years.
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 08:48:34 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Graxlar_v2
    Yeah - I spend a bit of time in the country here and it gets to maybe -3 or -4 overnight as a minimum. We don't do cold like you do. But we've got hot covered.
  • quadfather 27 Mar 2017 08:49:43 34,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @adz

Sent a pm
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 08:51:11 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Brexit... Trump... things are definitely a bit odd at the moment.
  • TurkeyNeck 27 Mar 2017 08:57:44 162 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also if you're into your football you might wanna get yourself to the Emptyhad, shouldn't be a problem getting a ticket.
    There you can watch some proper players like Spanish Dave and The Ginger Prince.

Alternatively you can go to Old Toilet and watch Maurenn Fellaini and Phil Jones.

And just a quick tip. If you say "D'ya know wot i mean" at the end of every sentence it will help the local inbreds to actually know what you meant in whatever point you was trying to get across in the preceding sentence.
  • challenge_hanukkah 27 Mar 2017 08:59:15 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    U wot mate
  • Load_2.0 27 Mar 2017 09:09:34 29,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pro's

Almost everything is cheaper compared to Oz.
    Museums, nightlife, sightseeing and attractions.
    You can be in Europe in a few hours and have amazing (and cheap) family holidays.
    Christmas is better in winter.
    Broadband, mobile and tech stuff is well supported and cheap.
    Shopping (clothes, gadgets, housewares) is better in price and range.

Cons.

It's fucking miserable in winter. Cold, grey and dark at 3pm.
    The weather.
    Melbourne is a beautiful city, in comparison Manchester is not.
    Work commute are awful
    Bricks. Fucking brick buildings and terraced housing.
    The weather.
    Don't expect much in the way of a backyard or outside space.
    The weather.
    Brexit types.

It would be a hard sell for me but if you have a fecent income you can have a pretty good lifestyle.
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 09:12:12 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah. I spent some time working in Northern Europe and in winter I missed the sun for sure.

I've heard that Manchester, or at least the heart of it is quite nice?
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Mar 2017 09:18:31 14,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    adz wrote:
    Manchester does not really have much weather. The only variety is whether the water falling from the sky is frozen or not,
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2017 09:27:20 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's cheaper than Oz but are wages not also quite a bit lower?
    In terms of spending power, is there a big difference?
  • thelzdking 27 Mar 2017 09:30:04 9,475 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't do it: the UK is shit.
  • TheSaint 27 Mar 2017 09:30:14 18,667 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Make sure to buy a bucket hat. By all accounts, it's the law up there that you have to wear them at the slightest hint of sun.
  • thelzdking 27 Mar 2017 09:32:17 9,475 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Make sure to buy a bucket hat. By all accounts, it's the law up there that you have to wear them at the slightest hint of sun.
    Yes! Also: http://i0.wp.com/viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Screen-Shot-2014-09-26-at-22.00.34.png
  • Deleted user 27 March 2017 09:35:33
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Standard / cost of living is higher generally in the UK compared to Australia. Young people are tending to leave Australia for this reason.

... Or at least that was the case last time I checked.
  • Psiloc 27 Mar 2017 09:36:17 5,116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wouldn't live in a city here if you paid me. If you've got to work in one I'd take the guys' advice and live somewhere nice and commute in.
  • adz 27 Mar 2017 09:48:47 34 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @thelzdking Jesus that's hilarious.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Mar 2017 09:55:15 6,976 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Am I right in thinking that's the old 'Saturday superstore' phone number??
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2017 10:25:40 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Standard / cost of living is higher generally in the UK compared to Australia. Young people are tending to leave Australia for this reason.

... Or at least that was the case last time I checked.
    If this data is correct, you have more spending power in Melbourne.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2017 10:28:46 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I wouldn't live in a city here if you paid me. If you've got to work in one I'd take the guys' advice and live somewhere nice and commute in.
    There are a lot of benefits to city living and commuting is shit.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.