Also lots of hive killing which is always good
  • gman7714 6 Jan 2019 09:53:09 441 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Loving the EP SMG right now.
  • eleven63 8 Jan 2019 21:43:35 2,489 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh, I'm now 609, now (2 days later) 610, now, 2 days late 611... Fuck me this is painful....
  • eleven63 8 Jan 2019 21:43:36 2,489 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh, I'm now 609, now (2 days later) 610, now, 2 days late 611... Fuck me this is painful....
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 06:31:56 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This Niobe Labs opening event is probably going to be remembered (and not in a good way).

If we're lucky, Bungie will not try this again.
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 18:06:30 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    25 hours and still not done... I think some of those streamers are going to die at this rate.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Jan 2019 18:14:32 13,223 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Puzzle is taking longer to beat than any raid :D
  • MatMan562 9 Jan 2019 18:22:31 3,467 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've not looked into this at all. Is the difficulty in not knowing what to do or is it generally super hard?

I've just made it up to 620 today so haven't done any of the forges yet anyway.
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 18:28:38 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Frogofdoom would probably take a lot less if they didn't have to restart the entire thing after every wipe, meaning that they need 15-20 minutes just to try a couple solutions.

Even raids give you checkpoints, this is just cruel.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:29:06 09-01-2019
  • b-rk 9 Jan 2019 18:58:40 925 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Progress has slowed to a crawl for me, too much input for not enough reward and I've moved on to another game. Hopefully there will be another decent expansion down the line, one that isn't geared toward just the no-lifers.
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 20:51:31 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, looks like Bungie is tired of waiting for people to crack their impossible codes, or maybe they just finally noticed that they screwed up. The Forge will unlock on its own in roughly one hour from now.

Lore-wise, they could say the City lost this battle.
  • Switch024 9 Jan 2019 20:53:25 3,378 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shambles.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Jan 2019 21:45:43 13,223 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Problem is with no new frames this week there isn't much need for the new forge other than the last key for the box. Was hoping for a shotgun frame to come with the new forge as well (maybe some of the other missing weapon types too).
  • Ror 10 Jan 2019 21:31:09 18,480 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bungie and Acti going their separate ways, publishing rights to be transferred to Bungie.
  • ChiefGB 10 Jan 2019 21:37:46 10,687 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually that is interesting. We will have no one else to blame for any decisions going forward once this happens.
    For Activision to let go they must have seriously over expected on the franchise. We will now see if it was acti that was screwing the pooch or not.
  • Malek86 10 Jan 2019 22:02:41 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, that's big.

The fact that they are letting them keep Destiny says a lot. It means Activision doesn't see enough monetary value in it.

I suppose they'll still be allowed to use Battle.net for any future updates or DLCs. But at this point, I'm not sure there will be a Year 3. Maybe they'll just go straight to another sequel.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:03:29 10-01-2019
  • JoelStinty 10 Jan 2019 22:06:49 7,846 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Believe it or not, next year would be the end of the 10 year deal that the two struck. Thats crazy.
  • Malek86 10 Jan 2019 22:45:54 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JoelStinty yeah, there was that too. Technically, Activision never bought Bungie.

I wonder if the terms of the deal said that Bungie was always meant to keep the IP, while Activision would be the publisher (and funder) in exchange for all the proceeds, or something like that. Bungie got a ton of money from a big Chinese company some months ago, so maybe they were preparing for this.

Still, the deal did end a little earlier than expected.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Jan 2019 07:37:42 13,223 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This should be good news. Activision are the greediest publisher out there I think and have made no attempt to change with the times regarding monetisation of content. Even EA have made steps in the right direction.
  • mothercruncher 11 Jan 2019 08:27:47 16,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting- I think they really have to prove little of the ActivisionEvil has stuck with their next game.
  • ozthegweat 11 Jan 2019 09:38:57 2,220 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are rumours that D3 will be even more hardcore with regard to grind and continue the trend that Forsaken started. While my life changed a bit in the second half of last year, I don't believe that's the only reason why I barely spend any time anymore with D2 since Forsaken came out compared to the many many hours I put into it in the first year.

I guess I'm simply not "hardcore" enough (whatever that means), or willing to stupidly grind super hard content to get a slightly better weapon.
  • Switch024 11 Jan 2019 09:59:52 3,378 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got the impression that the intention is to make D3 lean into the RPG side of things a lot more, not to necessarily make it even more grindy. Whilst there is a fair amount of grind in Destiny at the moment I think it's in the best place it's been for a long time.

The Forges have been a mixed bag though, I personally find them quite tedious so haven't bothered with them since I opened the 2nd one. Still log on each week to do a raid and what not though, there's always things to keep you occupied which is what's great about the game.
  • breakablepants 11 Jan 2019 10:01:46 1,030 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think this is just an announcement that's more about Activision/Bungie having not decided to renew the 10 year deal. Getting the announcement out now means that it won't cause issues around the big tradeshows, and gets things out the way ahead of the next Activision financials.

In terms of the optics it will mean that Activision will now be asked about what is the next game, rather than why players continue to leave Destiny 2, and how Destiny 3 will fix that.

This could be great for Bungie in that they will properly own the game and the community. There are millions of loyal and paying players, and there is no reason for this not to continue to be a long-term franchise that generates plenty of revenue.

Amid all the Activision bashing, lets not forget that Activision fronted all the development and marketing for the game, so we wouldn't have had Destiny without them.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Jan 2019 10:16:48 13,223 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm pretty sure we would have, Bungie were coming off the back of Halo and were the hottest property available at the time.

Also I don't think it is the end of the 10 year deal as it would have been 9 years when the day comes around that they signed this year. That would have been one more year of destiny content after this season that would have been covered. The fact that when it was announced to the Bungie staff that they cheered should be all you need to know about what Activision are like to work with. They are a company that have recently had the cheek to charge for a red dot and have put f2p monetisation in a full priced with season pass game. They also didn't include this monetisation until the game had had it's original sales and reviews so fuck Activision, they stand for everything that is shit about modern gaming.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 10:18:49 11-01-2019
  • breakablepants 11 Jan 2019 11:20:21 1,030 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sure - but there are very few publishers that could have funded a 200m + game. You have to assume that even after Halo, Microsoft didn't have the will to do it. Bungie would have been hawking the Destiny concept to all the major publishers, Activision were brave enough to back them. So credit where credit is due.

I'm not defending Activision per se. I'm just pointing out that as a listed company it works well for Activision to make this announcement now. Clearly, Bungie sees a brighter future without Activision, and Activision doesn't see the value in renewing the publishing deal.
  • breakablepants 11 Jan 2019 11:21:26 1,030 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also - as a listed company you don't wait until a deal is about to expire before you announce something. That raises shareholder questions and can spook them.
  • breakablepants 11 Jan 2019 11:29:54 1,030 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    I got the impression that the intention is to make D3 lean into the RPG side of things a lot more, not to necessarily make it even more grindy. Whilst there is a fair amount of grind in Destiny at the moment I think it's in the best place it's been for a long time.

The Forges have been a mixed bag though, I personally find them quite tedious so haven't bothered with them since I opened the 2nd one. Still log on each week to do a raid and what not though, there's always things to keep you occupied which is what's great about the game.
    I've been rubbish since joining the clan, and have been playing RDR as my christmas gift - but keen to get back into it soon. Not played any of the new Forge stuff yet.
  • Malek86 11 Jan 2019 11:41:46 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forges are fun enough for me, sometimes I join one just for the fun of it. Shame that it's not always easy to find players, and they are effectively impossible to solo.
  • Ror 11 Jan 2019 11:54:23 18,480 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @JoelStinty yeah, there was that too. Technically, Activision never bought Bungie.

I wonder if the terms of the deal said that Bungie was always meant to keep the IP, while Activision would be the publisher (and funder)...
    Bungie always retained the IP. Acti held the publishing rights. They're now handing those off to Bungie too, which makes it seem like they're basically saying, "fuck this, I'm out."

Makes me think both sides just wanted out.
  • b-rk 11 Jan 2019 11:59:40 925 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Forges are fun enough for me, sometimes I join one just for the fun of it. Shame that it's not always easy to find players, and they are effectively impossible to solo.
    That sounds like a bit of a problem. Perhaps it would be better if the game could adjust the difficulty depending on whether someone is playing solo or part of a fireteam? I feel like other games have done that.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.