Following And you thought Ryan Air were bad? (United are worse) Page 3

• CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2017 08:56:21 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fourfoldroot wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    What? You said your opinion and you said 'everyome was wrong'. Total cop out.

And if United had overbooked and no one wanted to leave, then that's on them to give people better reasons to stay behind. They have a duty to provide the flight or offer acceptable compensation.

What if the person they chose had some super important reason to be where he was going? Doesn't matter, United have spoken.
    I'm saying the guy was picked at random and he should have agreed to leave. It's the risk everyone takes if they want cheap flights. Otherwise the market would release an expensive airline that didn't overbook and carry this risk.

They did offer compensation btw. So now are you going to say they should enter into a game of negotiation on every flight until they get a winner and someone agrees to leave? A little impractical no?
    Not at all. What's the alternative? Flight's offer pennies and then say "well you refused the compensation". Compensation has to be agreed between both parties. Negotiation is absolutely the way to do it. That's literally - literally - how settlements are reached.

I can't believe you're in favour of the United Police marching through the cabin picking folk at random to throw off.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 11 Apr 2017 08:57:39 32,231 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They could just not let too many people get on the flight in the first place. I get that overbooking happened but you're not obligated to just let everyone on your plane because they turned up.

As I understand it from articles I've read, they usually wouldn't overfill the and itself, but staff from the airline turned up late and they caused people that had got there on time to be forced out. Not sure how true it is of course.

Edited by DFawkes at 08:58:18 11-04-2017
  • Deleted user 11 April 2017 08:58:09
    @Fourfoldroot you are an absolute prick.

Again, picking someone at random to give up their seat so that others who arrived later can take them is wrong!. forcing someone to leave a plane they have paid for is also WRONG. Forcefully dragging someone off a plane against their will is criminal!

If you must have people volunteer to leave a flight they should offer enough compensation that it becomes worthwhile to leave (and not forcefully drag someone from their seat).

It is not impractical, it is the correct way to proceed when telling someone that something they have paid for is not available to the detriment of the consumer.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Apr 2017 08:58:36 20,401 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ugh, you are such a cunt.
  • Waffleaber 11 Apr 2017 08:58:52 742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Waffleaber 11 Apr 2017 08:58:53 742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There were no disgruntled passengers in the runway, United were kicking off paying customers so they could get their employees on the flight so they could work on another plane. What they should do in those situations is find another means of shuttling employees around.
  • elstoof 11 Apr 2017 09:01:17 23,688 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2017 09:02:01 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Honestly, if someone came up to me on a plane and said i had to get off because more people had turned up after i got on and they got priority over me for some arbitrary reason, i wouldn't move. Just don't let the late folk on if they've overbooked.

Ridiculous.
  • Phattso 11 Apr 2017 09:02:48 24,800 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And yet hundreds of thousands of flights a day manage to avoid a situation whereby someone is forcibly dragged down the aisles and off the flight.

How could this MIRACULOUS feat be achieved without raising all the prices? HOW, fourfoldroot? HOW?

Oh yeah - because most airlines, staff, and enforcement officers aren't knuckle-dragging muntcrunchers like those seen on the video here.

When people start losing their jobs over this are you going to defend them? Your stance is so strange, and yet you yourself have always been strange so I guess it's no great surprise.
  • richardiox 11 Apr 2017 09:02:49 7,744 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blame the customer not the billion dollar corporations. Blane the immigrants not the system. Classic Fourfoldroot.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Apr 2017 09:03:46 20,401 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Such a cunt.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2017 09:04:18
    :D
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2017 09:05:10 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    There were no disgruntled passengers in the runway, United were kicking off paying customers so they could get their employees on the flight so they could work on another plane. What they should do in those situations is find another means of shuttling employees around.
    Jesus that's even worse if so.
  • RichDC 11 Apr 2017 09:05:15 8,402 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Overbooking may well be standard practice, but it appears all paying passengers were sat down and it was airline staff (who weren't working on that flight) who needed seats. Surely there is no way they actually take priority over customers, especially to the point we're sometime was physically dragged off.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Apr 2017 09:06:19 32,290 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Christ you're an absolute mong.
  • RichDC 11 Apr 2017 09:07:13 8,402 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    :(
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Apr 2017 09:09:52 32,290 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And Fourfoldracist, too.
  • AwesomeWells 11 Apr 2017 09:11:28 1,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If it was just overbooking, the "excess" passengers would not have been able to board the plane in the first place. United was asking people to vacate a flight they had booked and paid for simply for the convenience of their own staff.

Fucking amazing* that people are trying to justify United's actions here.

*Maybe not considering the poster doing it.

Edit - or what RichDC said.

Edited by AwesomeWells at 09:12:08 11-04-2017
  • KRadiation 11 Apr 2017 09:11:58 1,443 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently his wife agreed to get off the plane for the $800 and whatever else they offered them but he refused and started phoning his lawyer.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2017 09:13:52 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well in that case they should have fucking shot him.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Apr 2017 09:19:52 13,684 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With a grenade
  • urban 11 Apr 2017 09:39:21 13,072 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wait, this was all over dead head seats? United staff fucked up and booked 4 people into a dead head seats?

FUUUUUUUUUUUCKING HELL.

If anyone is still trying to justify United's actions in this matter, stop right there.

"Passengers were told at the gate that the flight was overbooked and United, offering $400 and a hotel stay, was looking for one volunteer to take another flight to Louisville at 3 p.m. Monday. Passengers were allowed to board the flight, Bridges said, and once the flight was filled those on the plane were told that four people needed to give up their seats to stand-by United employees that needed to be in Louisville on Monday for a flight. Passengers were told that the flight would not take off until the United crew had seats, Bridges said, and the offer was increased to $800, but no one volunteered.

Then, she said, a manager came aboard the plane and said a computer would select four people to be taken off the flight. One couple was selected first and left the airplane, she said, before the man in the video was confronted."
    Think about it, you're sat on a flight, ready to go to your destination on a Sunday afternoon, and they come over the PA to offer you $800 and a hotel stay if you just get off the plane, airline's are already notorious for these "vouchers" involving catches like "if you pay for the hotel we'll refund you in a few weeks" and "$800 to spend in our duty free lounge" but most importantly if you take it you're missing work on Monday morning!

They're not going to specify that shit until you get off the plane and then it's already too late, they used the carrot to get you off the seat.

What's most unsettling about this is how quickly a major corporation used the stick against the public just to ensure their operations ran smoothly.

Maybe if they weren't such cunts they would've been able to deadhead on another airlines flight but I bet they've refused other airlines requests in the past so that diplomatic option is closed.

The only route is calling the police and fucking some passenger up who wanted to get to work Monday.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 11 Apr 2017 09:40:42 32,231 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    United CEO says removed passenger was 'disruptive and belligerent'

"Our employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this," the Associated Press quoted the email as saying.

Maybe change your procedures then? It still doesn't explain why the 4 staff turned up late. Surely if they had turned up on time, there would've been no issue on the plane itself as the other 4 people would've been randomly chosen before getting on board the plane?

Edited by DFawkes at 09:42:07 11-04-2017
  • IMO 11 Apr 2017 09:59:45 7,003 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So was the passenger being "belligerent and disruptive" after being requested to leave a flight he'd paid for? I thought he was selected at random? Something clearly doesn't add up in the airline's account.

Nevertheless, it's remarkable just how badly United managed to handle it. No-one'll lose their job though.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2017 10:05:08 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I was selected at random by a computer to get off a flight I'd paid for and turned up on time for, I'd probably be belligerent and disruptive too. Especially when security turned up to drag me out my seat.

Astonishing that they thought this was the way to solve the problem.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Apr 2017 10:06:01 7,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    United CEO says removed passenger was 'disruptive and belligerent'

"Our employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this," the Associated Press quoted the email as saying.

Maybe change your procedures then? It still doesn't explain why the 4 staff turned up late. Surely if they had turned up on time, there would've been no issue on the plane itself as the other 4 people would've been randomly chosen before getting on board the plane?
    They were probably late due to a previous flight they were on. I wouldn't blame them but would definitely blame United's processes.

Also good points raised by @urban, makes one understand better why the guy acted the way he did.
  • urban 11 Apr 2017 10:07:36 13,072 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bet they'd just flown in on another flight which was late and needed to deadhead back to crew another flight outbound of Louisville.

As a Scotsman I bet they'd deem me disruptive and belligerent if they told me they were kicking me off a flight because they had some of their homies that needed to fly instead.

"They can get tae fuck, you an all ya bawbag, awa an boil yer heid. Am nae leavin'"
  • Gunzberg 11 Apr 2017 10:10:56 2,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    just to note. You are not selected randomly.

It takes into account if you are a frequent flyer, early boarder, spender on extra fees (ie. check-in baggage etc) and a number of other factors, including your booking class. Based on that the system generates a list of "lowest-value" flyers. Staff then pick off this.

The random thing is lying through their teeth. I flew United a couple of times in the past and I nearly got bumped off returning from NEw York to London. Even though I had a fully paid ticket I got put on the waiting list, luckily I got a seat....but then the infotainment was out for 8 hours.

Also they don't give you $800, they give you $800 in United vouchers, which are basically shit.

Also note, it would have cost less than $200 bucks for the 4 staff to take the bus to Louisville.

This airline has a 30 year history of not giving a shit.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.