Raspberry Pi advice needed Page 2

• rice_sandwich 16 Apr 2017 12:57:42 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @twelveways

That's too bad. Anyway, it seems you have lots of options without necessarily needing to spend too much.
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2017 15:49:55 93,610 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    Oh, so i can't just install kodi on th pi, hook it up to the tv and play it?

That's bollocks then, I may as well just get an Android box
    You could put LibreElec on it, which is just a Linux disto that boots straight into Kodi. I put it on an old PC and it works just fine.
    Kodi has a pi version, no need for any os
    Kostabi is right, Kodi still needs a framework to run from. Libreelec and Openelec or OSMC are the common variants for Pi. You don't notice that it's an OS, as far as you see, it's just Kodi running on a Pi.

Simple answer is that you're right, a Pi works great as a media centre running Kodi. All you need is the Pi, a power supply and an ad card. If you get Pi2 or below and want to use WiFi, a WiFi dongle too (Pi3 has wifi on board).

Check out the Libreelec.tv website, you can create an image to copy across to the SD card and it'll install Kodi simple as. If your laptop doesn't work, you can buy SD cards with the image already on... Pi Hut does the job. I bought a starter pack from Amazon for 40 quid.

(of course, I've managed to knacker my Kodi install by trying to update it and need to start again)
  • D_arkTrooper 16 Apr 2017 18:04:13 1,492 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    As mentioned OpenElec is what you want. Hook up th Pi to your TV via HDMI, download the image and flash it to your MicroSD card. Providing your power supply is up to it, you can then simply plug in your usb flash drive containing your media and play them or stream them if you have a NAS or your router allows the connection of USB storage.

And yes, there is an app which you can download and install on your phone/tablet which allows you to remote control the Kodi controls.

I think its called Yatse or something like that.
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2017 19:26:19 93,610 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I had Openelec installed for yonks, going to try Libreelec for a change. Appears to be better supported. Probably makes little difference in reality though.
  • dominalien 16 Apr 2017 21:05:17 9,538 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I use OSMC on my pi and you don't even need a separate device to control it, it just works with the tv remote if your tv is new enough. It's sort of like magic.

Anyway, it all works very well, with local media, NAS and plugins for various streaming services.

Edited by dominalien at 21:05:49 16-04-2017
  • twelveways 17 Apr 2017 06:09:11 7,131 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks guys, it's a bit clearer now :)
  • twelveways 15 May 2017 14:50:58 7,131 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So yeah, I got my pi up and running, car easy to do apart from having to run all around town to get a card reader then finding out it didn't work and having to use my phone.

Now got a dedicated kodi box and have my phone at up as a remote control so I can sit and watch 'buffering' screens from the comfort of my sofa with no cables in sight :)

Looking into how to make a headless torrent box controlled with my phone and how to share the contents of its drive to other devices or even stream online. It doesn't seem to be a simple as I thought it would be.

Also looking into how to create a VPN using one, my missus is in China and it would be cool if she doesn't have to pay for one.

I can see this possibly becoming a bit of a hobby...
  • twelveways 15 May 2017 14:54:30 7,131 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I downloaded NOOBS and used the LibreElec package that came on there. Had a quick look at Raspberian and it seems pretty cool. I don't have a keyboard though so I couldn't do much
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Apr 2019 15:32:38 23,206 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    So, I have a PI and I was thinking of using kodi to access my massive audio storage, I have done this before with the PI version 1. My question is as to whether the touch screen is worth a punt as we currently don't have a convenient way of accessing the music and it would be handy to use the PI for this purpose.
  • nudistpete 27 Jun 2019 12:24:00 1,177 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone else plumped for a Pi 4? I've just ordered one since the four jiggerbytes version is back in stock.

Not exactly sure what to use it for, though... I'm tempted to make a media a server since the media player in my telly is a bit shit, but also my home VPN server is only a Pi 2 and I can't saturate my 30Mbit upload with it, and a Pi4 should make light work of it.
  • Spectral 27 Jun 2019 12:33:51 6,374 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Maybe somewhat overly predictable but I'm interested in using it for Retropie. Obviously there is no version that supports it yet so I'm not in a rush to order. I'll wait till there's a somewhat mature version of RP and wait and see what retroflag do regarding cool looking retro console style cases.

I currently have a 3B+ in a Snes style case. I think I might just have a small SD card in that with just snes games on and a snes bases theme. Then use the Pi as the general emulation machine.

Edited by Spectral at 12:35:23 27-06-2019
  • Rusty_M 27 Jun 2019 13:20:52 7,157 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll probably pick one up eventually, but I'll wait for good Retropie and a FLIRC case.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Jun 2019 13:29:59 2,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I stupidly ordered one, yes. And all I'll want to use it for is retropie.

I'm an idiot, I know.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2019 13:36:19
    nudistpete wrote:
    Anyone else plumped for a Pi 4? I've just ordered one since the four jiggerbytes version is back in stock.

Not exactly sure what to use it for, though... I'm tempted to make a media a server since the media player in my telly is a bit shit, but also my home VPN server is only a Pi 2 and I can't saturate my 30Mbit upload with it, and a Pi4 should make light work of it.
    Where did you order from mate?
  • Psiloc 27 Jun 2019 13:38:27 5,484 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I had to guess Retropie will be available in a matter of weeks. They probably need to do little more than recompile it
  • Spectral 27 Jun 2019 13:50:23 6,374 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    I stupidly ordered one, yes. And all I'll want to use it for is retropie.

I'm an idiot, I know.
    At least you'll have it there to jump in and have a mess as soon as a new version hits. I'll probably cave in and grab one as soon as the 4GB are easily available from Amazon, as I have gift cards I'd like to use towards it.

Given the substantial boost in power I am really keen to see what it can do. I'll be happy if it smooths out the glitchyness or PS1, makes N64 viable and enables some more complex mame games such as Killer Instinct 1 and 2 to run.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Jun 2019 13:58:32 2,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, the above two posts were pretty much why I jumped in now, also, it would boil my piss if I couldn't order one and everything was ready to go! I have so little patience now when it comes to holding onto money...
    I'm actually more interested in psp, tbh. Most of the psx games I play run perfect anyways on the 3b.
    Also, if it could do later CAVE stuff, that would rock.

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 13:59:32 27-06-2019
  • Spectral 27 Jun 2019 14:06:35 6,374 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas I admit I've not tried it in a while but when I tried PS1 the performance was fine but at the expense of most games I tried having some form of graphical glitching. Specially much lower draw distance than the were supposed too, causing so weird effect in backgrounds,etc.

I had forgot about PSP. That will be interesting too, although I have some doubts to if it will be powerful enough for that

Edited by Spectral at 14:07:15 27-06-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Jun 2019 14:22:52 2,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It kinda depends on whether you're trying to play 2d or 3d, I found. Frankly, 3d from that era can do one, it all looks utter gash to me. It also feels like polygonal games were barely holding it together even on the original system, if you ask me.
    Most 2d games, though, hold up very well, and run fine (I think I may have switched video to 720, though).
  • Spectral 27 Jun 2019 14:54:06 6,374 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas That's the benefit of emulation though. They can be made to look much better than they ever did on the original console. While they'll never look like modern games they can be made to look surprisingly good. Whether or not the Pi4 is powerful for that is another matter.

The beetle emulator in retroarch has settings that can fix the weird misalligned and wobby polygons that plagued the PS1. Aswell as upscale the resolution.

Edited by Spectral at 14:58:45 27-06-2019
  • nudistpete 27 Jun 2019 14:55:47 1,177 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Addy__ Pimoroni - set up an email alert and it came through as in stock yesterday. Still waiting for despatch, though, I imagine they're stupidly busy :-(
  • Rusty_M 27 Jun 2019 14:58:36 7,157 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Spectral true. I know the Pi can't hack it, but Dolphin for me is the best illustration of how well emulation can improve some games. The Third Age looks amazing for example.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2019 15:04:02
    Rusty_M wrote:
    @Spectral true. I know the Pi can't hack it, but Dolphin for me is the best illustration of how well emulation can improve some games. The Third Age looks amazing for example.
    Aye dolphin via my rtx 2070 is fucking superb.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2019 15:04:41
    nudistpete wrote:
    @Addy__ Pimoroni - set up an email alert and it came through as in stock yesterday. Still waiting for despatch, though, I imagine they're stupidly busy :-(
    Cheers. Might wait for Amazon as I have 30 in vouchers to spend.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Jun 2019 15:07:28 2,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mine been despatched, wooooooo (from pimoroni)

I'm a bit annoyed that I can't just slap in my SD card and go, mind.
  • Rusty_M 27 Jun 2019 20:12:07 7,157 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Aye dolphin via my rtx 2070 is fucking superb.
    Show off!
  • Deleted user 1 July 2019 19:30:13
    So I've been thinking of getting a pi 4 and using it as a media server with rasplex or Plex. Is it feasible? I was going to buy a high capacity external drive and connect to my router and mount it etc.

Waste of time or good idea?
  • mrpon 1 Jul 2019 19:57:03 36,132 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just get a media server capable NAS?
  • rice_sandwich 1 Jul 2019 20:09:42 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Addy__

It will work but might struggle if you need to transcode the video files to be compatible with the client application.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.