Following Raspberry Pi advice needed Page 3

Next Last
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 1 Jul 2019 21:42:31 3,148 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    So I've been thinking of getting a pi 4 and using it as a media server with rasplex or Plex. Is it feasible? I was going to buy a high capacity external drive and connect to my router and mount it etc.

Waste of time or good idea?
    Perfectly doable, I've done basic tests with an SSD USB3 drive, transcoded 264 and 265 fine.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 1 Jul 2019 21:43:04 3,148 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Just get a media server capable NAS?
    Don't do that, they're overpriced and underpowered.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2019 22:08:45
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    So I've been thinking of getting a pi 4 and using it as a media server with rasplex or Plex. Is it feasible? I was going to buy a high capacity external drive and connect to my router and mount it etc.

Waste of time or good idea?
    Perfectly doable, I've done basic tests with an SSD USB3 drive, transcoded 264 and 265 fine.
    Nice one. Cheers.
  • TheSaint 2 Jul 2019 12:25:35 20,922 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone need some inspiration:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20264911
  • Tonka 9 Jun 2021 13:45:37 31,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I started playing around with a Raspberry Pi Pico with the aim of building an automated watering system for our potted lemon tree.

Fucking Hell did I NOT have a clue what I was getting into. But now, two weeks later all I need is my replacement moisture sensor to arrive and I'm ready to put it all together.

I've learned so much these past couple of weeks, bit of Python, some circuitry, that it's a great idea to put a resistor infront of an LED.

Also some irritating finds, like how my Powerbank can't be used to power the Pi Pico because the pico draws so little energy that the powerbank will switch off.

But as a hobby I can definitely recommend getting into this DIY automation stuff.
  • BreadBinLidHero 15 Jun 2021 01:18:59 10,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Okay, so I know very little about these things, but I want one which will work as a retro gaming thing and a media box - is that possible?

Basically something that I have stuck behind my telly so I don't have to fuck about plugging my laptop in everytime I want to play or watch something.

Edited by BreadBinLidHero at 01:21:41 15-06-2021
  • Tonka 15 Jun 2021 06:05:18 31,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've seen premade kits that comes with tiny NES cases. They're all small enough to hang behind the TV.

I've only got links for swedish shops though, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere.
  • Tonka 15 Jun 2021 06:05:19 31,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dfunked09 15 Jun 2021 09:43:43 2,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @BreadBinLidHero

Certainly possible, but I'm not 100% on switching between using it as a retro games machine and media player... There will probably be some element of faff involved in switching between the two use cases. A quick search for "retropi and kodi" sounds like the easiest option.

For retro gaming there are loads of pre-build SD card images out there of varying sizes to accommodate different sized SD cards. Just download, use the Raspberry Pi imager to write it to the SD card and then plug it all in and away you go.

Adhesive velcro tabs and stick it to the back of your telly, job done.
  • Dougs 15 Jun 2021 12:29:56 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, should be able to have 2 SD cards that you swap in and out...
  • BreadBinLidHero 16 Jun 2021 03:21:17 10,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks folks. One Pi and two cards seems easy enough.
  • Tonka 16 Jun 2021 05:32:23 31,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Given the DIY nature of it, shouldn't there be a way to add an extra SD card reader, or creating a boot screen that let you decide if you want to game or watch stuff?

I read there's an IR blaster you can add, so maybe that's an IR receiver as well?
  • dfunked09 16 Jun 2021 07:18:18 2,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Tonka
    It should support HDMI CEC so can be controlled with any modern TV's remote, so no real need to faff about with that unless you need something specific out of it.

There should be a few options, bit switching SD cards or using Kodi within Retropi are probably going to involve the least fucking about figuring stuff out.
  • Benno 16 Jun 2021 07:34:14 11,849 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I started playing around with a Raspberry Pi Pico with the aim of building an automated watering system for our potted lemon tree.

Fucking Hell did I NOT have a clue what I was getting into. But now, two weeks later all I need is my replacement moisture sensor to arrive and I'm ready to put it all together.

I've learned so much these past couple of weeks, bit of Python, some circuitry, that it's a great idea to put a resistor infront of an LED.

Also some irritating finds, like how my Powerbank can't be used to power the Pi Pico because the pico draws so little energy that the powerbank will switch off.

But as a hobby I can definitely recommend getting into this DIY automation stuff.
    I have a small veg garden in a raised bed, and I have had this exact idea before. I even got as far as routing in the irrigation system to each square.

Have you got any notes collected anywhere you could share? Or links to similar projects. Might try and do it over the summer
  • Tonka 16 Jun 2021 12:35:19 31,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Benno there's plenty on YouTube. My project is in limbo at the moment because my moisture sensor was busted and the replacement is on the way.

But what I've learned so far (that I had no idea, didn't think of, coming in) is
    * I needed a Relay module where the stronger current for the pump will be controlled without frying my Pi Pico
    * I needed a powersource for the pump (that is now plugged into the relay module)
    * I need another powersource for the Pi Pico and my PowerBank wouldn't do because that cuts off automatically when the power draw is as low as the one that the Pi Pico needs
    * I need to mount all my hobby wiring on something and then put it in some box

But, the coding is very straight forward and I have really enjoyed the whole learning experience. I will probably end up buying a soldering iron and a through hole circuit board to put it all on
  • Benno 16 Jun 2021 14:48:41 11,849 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka thanks! sounds good
  • Tonka 17 Jun 2021 08:54:38 31,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Benno I also just found out that a lot of the capacitive soil moisture sensors have a flaw, but that the flaw is easily fixed

As can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCrtXf8YSs

Still, that capacitive sensor is the way to go. The two pronged versions corrode and stop working really quick apparently.
  • brokenkey 17 Jun 2021 10:18:42 11,112 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    put a resistor infront of an LED.

You can fix this by adding more RGB to your build.
  • Psiloc 17 Jun 2021 10:39:22 6,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    FYI I installed Kodi on a Pi that also had Retropie on it and found the process easy enough, there's a dedicated option in the config screens. However you should be aware that Kodi is basically your only option in this circumstance and there are much better options if you wanted a legit streaming box
  • Tonka 17 Jun 2021 12:05:22 31,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @brokenkey Not bad actually. I do have a tiny LCD screen that I thought was unnecessary for the project. Maybe if I leave that on at all times it would draw enough to keep the juice flowing.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2021 12:35:27 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Psiloc and for a less legit streaming box?! Uses to use Kodi quite a bit but not anymore. Became too much of a faff
  • Psiloc 17 Jun 2021 13:27:39 6,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Same, like getting YT on it involved a third party add-on and it was entirely list based and very flaky.

Good for local media or media server access, and the "other" stuff of course, but it's no smart device.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.