Line of Duty

First Previous
  • Trafford 20 Apr 2017 23:17:25 9,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is a great series, I've scanned the forum for it on TV related hubs but nothing showing.
    You guys must be fans?!?
  • RichDC 20 Apr 2017 23:25:46 9,084 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Only seen the first two, but I rate the 2nd as the best UK police TV series I've seen. Waiting for the 3rd to come out on Netflix now as the first few episodes have been taken off iPlayer. :mad:
  • RichieTenenbaum 20 Apr 2017 23:26:52 2,774 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    it's weirdly fantastical and realistic at the same time. Like they seem to have done their research on things like the long bleeep before interview recording and some of the minutiae of police paperwork but at the end of last series a character, with help from another armed officer and I assume a vast network of compromised coppers, shot up a police station to escape custody and it's hardly been mentioned.

Edited by RichieTenenbaum at 23:27:38 20-04-2017
  • TheSaint 20 Apr 2017 23:43:54 20,658 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I generally like it but as each series goes on it gets a bit ridiculous. The end of the last series, in particular, had plot holes you could drive a police riot van though.
  • Rivuzu 20 Apr 2017 23:58:53 18,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm one of those who has o my just discovered this series. Literally two days ago. I'm already though the first two seasons.

Holy fuck, it's a bit good, innit?
  • Youthist 21 Apr 2017 00:07:09 14,511 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It is the best thing on tv yes.
  • HarryB 21 Apr 2017 00:58:32 7,630 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Only seen series 3 and watching 4
    Will go back and watch the early stuff as it's on Netflix
  • Trafford 21 Apr 2017 05:10:47 9,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the story arc of the first 3 series is brilliant. So many great characters ( Hastings and the Caddy to name two).
  • THFourteen 21 Apr 2017 06:08:34 54,520 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I only discovered this last week too on Netflix. Already watched the first two seasons. Thought it was fantastic.
  • Trafford 21 Apr 2017 07:07:01 9,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The writer, Jed Mecurio is a former hospital doctor. Previous work is Bodies which has a similar angle.
  • Trafford 21 Apr 2017 07:12:10 9,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I generally like it but as each series goes on it gets a bit ridiculous. The end of the last series, in particular, had plot holes you could drive a police riot van though.
    Yeah accepted, but overall it's a bit good.
  • Dougs 21 Apr 2017 07:12:34 99,081 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I quite enjoyed the first series but as ever with most UK productions, I felt it suffered from a lack of budget. The production values, script and acting were a bit iffy at times. Great story, will definitely check out the rest at some point.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Apr 2017 07:18:32 26,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I only discovered this last week too on Netflix. Already watched the first two seasons. Thought it was fantastic.
    Big fan as well, saving up this current series to binge watch. I like Hastings, great Boss, along with Thursday the governor of Gov's

Another brilliant drama is Happy Valley, I can't recommend it enough.
  • Jono62 21 Apr 2017 07:34:28 26,860 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Big fan as well, saving up this current series to binge watch. I like Hastings, great Boss, along with Thursday the governor of Gov's

Another brilliant drama is Happy Valley, I can't recommend it enough.
    It's great, but it really should be called "Happy" Valley.
  • macmurphy 21 Apr 2017 07:46:42 4,434 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I quite enjoyed the first series but as ever with most UK productions, I felt it suffered from a lack of budget. The production values, script and acting were a bit iffy at times. Great story, will definitely check out the rest at some point.
    This. I've only watched the first one and it was alright but I found Arnott really uncompelling as a leader of men, and just generally. He seemed like a YTS boy out of his depth as opposed to a hardened copper that had led firearms teams.

There was also one bit that just gripped my shit for no good reason, but Neil Morrissey calling Lennie James' character 'boss.' They've been mates for 20 years and they go out for curries with each other and he still calls him 'boss' - as ex-services this just doesn't happen.

Generally it was OK, possibly it gets better, but for me it's more 'The Bill' than 'The Wire.'

Alsothe whiskey glass. What the fucking fuck. He could have just thrown it in a bin on the way home. The idea that it becomes a major part of the plot defied belief.

I quite fancy Vicky McClure (and thought she was good in the role, to avoid the misogyny-fest) and think Adrian Dunbar is amazing and never understood why he wasn't in more stuff.
  • Dougs 21 Apr 2017 07:49:13 99,081 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:.

Generally it was OK, possibly it gets better, but for me it's more 'The Bill' than 'The Wire.'
    That pretty much nails it for me.
  • RichDC 21 Apr 2017 07:51:12 9,084 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    There was also one bit that just gripped my shit for no good reason, but Neil Morrissey calling Lennie James' character 'boss.' They've been mates for 20 years and they go out for curries with each other and he still calls him 'boss' - as ex-services this just doesn't happen.
    As someone who works in the job, it does. There are far worse things in the first series to get annoyed about.
  • Dougs 21 Apr 2017 07:52:50 99,081 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, that didn't seem out of place at all to me.
  • Decks 21 Apr 2017 07:52:53 29,777 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah 'er indoors is trying to get me to watch it but I just don't get on with these cheap looking British dramas. A gritty Bill looks spot on from what I've seen of it.
  • Youthist 21 Apr 2017 08:00:55 14,511 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I too thought this was going to be run of the mill. But when you give it a chance it is great and not the usual "cheap bbc cop show".

Also Wrighty still calls Hoddle "The Gaffer"
  • Trafford 21 Apr 2017 08:12:53 9,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boss is just a general term of respect. I use it with mine who I've worked with for 15+ years. Guvnor gets thrown in there now and again.

I do say though, series 1 is just the tip of the iceberg. It cranks up!
  • macmurphy 21 Apr 2017 08:14:41 4,434 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    macmurphy wrote:
    As someone who works in the job, it does. There are far worse things in the first series to get annoyed about.
    OK I'll wind my neck in. Never happened in the military. I'd find it weird if some bloke who was my mate and I saw outside of work called me boss. But fair one, I'm not a copper.
  • Decks 21 Apr 2017 08:22:16 29,777 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a guy at work that calls everyone chief. He's a cunt though to be fair.
  • Rivuzu 21 Apr 2017 22:26:11 18,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just finished season 3.

Fucking crikey, that was a ride and a half. Very annoyed I've not heard about this show till now, it's very, very good.
  • Humperfunk 22 Apr 2017 00:46:17 8,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    I'm one of those who has o my just discovered this series. Literally two days ago. I'm already though the first two seasons.

Holy fuck, it's a bit good, innit?
    This is absolutely me also. A mate recommended it after the first three episodes of series 4 aired and said I didn't need to see the first three series to enjoy it. Watched all three episodes with the Mrs in one sitting.

Then banged on Netflix and watched the first two series in three days, the first series in one sitting with the second split over two days. He said the third series is the best so desperate to get hold of it!
  • Humperfunk 22 Apr 2017 00:46:46 8,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Just finished season 3.

Fucking crikey, that was a ride and a half. Very annoyed I've not heard about this show till now, it's very, very good.
    Second quote in a row! Where did you find it mate? Want to get watching ASAP!
  • Trafford 22 Apr 2017 02:21:08 9,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Just finished season 3.

Glad you are stoked about it, those three series are brilliant imho. I'm re-watching at the moment and it just gets better.
  • DUFFMAN5 2 May 2017 07:44:07 26,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Binged watched series 4 yesterday, fecking brilliant as ever. Series 5 is a (almost) given, but 2019 is looking likely for release.

As long as Happy Valley returns next year to fill the gap I will be "happy" indeed.

If you have come to this thread before watching either LOD or HP, do yourself a favour and remedy that as soon as you can. Both are the very best of UK dramas.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 07:44:32 02-05-2017
  • Youthist 2 May 2017 07:46:52 14,511 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think 4 was weakest do far though. So very contrived stuff in there and some things that didn't ring very true. Series 2 and the first half of 3 (felt it fell away a bit apart from that amazing last episode) were awesome. Plus Steve was massively underused in S4!
  • DUFFMAN5 2 May 2017 07:51:28 26,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Youthist
    Fair enough, Loved it. I would say the best series is the first, as I found the story arc the best. but still love all the rest. Hastings is brilliant.
    The creator has said that series 5 may concentrate on Hastings background ?

Have you watched Happy Valley ?
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.