Line of Duty Page 11

• Tomo 3 May 2021 16:08:56 19,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It all pivoted on AC12 doing Ctrl+F in some old documents for spelling mistakes. One scene you had Hastings ramming home the importance of solving one of the most important historical cases in policing, the next, the three of them stared at some documents from Chloe and basically did a Picard.

It was /awful/.
  • beastmaster 3 May 2021 16:17:37 22,084 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Didn't he have autocorrect?
  • SolidSCB 3 May 2021 16:29:28 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BUT BUT CAYMAN ISLANDS!

I haven't watched Game of Thrones but I can't accept the last episode was as dreadful as this one. I'm glad I wasn't hugely invested in it and basically binge watched the whole thing so I can just take this piss out of how awful it was, rather than feel angry at my time being wasted. I can't imagine waiting 10 years for that. Fuuuuck meeee.
  • docrob 3 May 2021 16:30:08 1,772 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    It was handwritten. Though my main complaint was that about half the population thinks you spell the word that way, and a chunk of the others spell it ‘defiantly’, so it’s not exactly a discriminator.

I honestly didn’t mind the ending. It wasn’t a big dramatic end like some of the series have had, but I was OK with it.
  • beastmaster 3 May 2021 16:51:01 22,084 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    It was handwritten. Though my main complaint was that about half the population thinks you spell the word that way, and a chunk of the others spell it ‘defiantly’, so it’s not exactly a discriminator.

I honestly didn’t mind the ending. It wasn’t a big dramatic end like some of the series have had, but I was OK with it.
    I mean for the correspondence over the internet. As someone mentioned before, if they did manage to pull of a Keyser Söze then it would have been much better. But they kind of seemed to bottle it. I'm sure the actor could have done a complete transformation into a highly skilled criminal mastermind and switched to another persona and I though they were going to do it when he called them all a load of mugs but sadly not.
  • chopsen 3 May 2021 17:12:45 21,879 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    It all pivoted on AC12 doing Ctrl+F in some old documents for spelling mistakes. One scene you had Hastings ramming home the importance of solving one of the most important historical cases in policing, the next, the three of them stared at some documents from Chloe and basically did a Picard.

It was /awful/.
    Also apparently nobody knows what a VPN or encryption is, and coonunicate via an apparently bespoke platform that not only does neither of those things *but keeps IP addresses of who you're connected with*.
  • beastmaster 3 May 2021 17:21:29 22,084 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I was unbelievable due to the lack of sockets.
  • Killerbee 3 May 2021 17:22:56 5,137 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The ending was a bit flat, but I think fell on the side of realism rather than drama. Mercurio seems damned if he does an “Urgent Exit Required” like the season 3 finale, and damned if he doesn’t, in favour of something more restrained.

(Personally, I loved the season 3 ending, but there you go!)

I think the series missed the drama from the interrogation scenes where - in past seasons - plot twists came thick and fast, but the prevalence of “no comment” responses meant they felt like narrative exposition as we were fed what Chloe had manage to piece together and solve off screen.

Mind you, I though Kelly MacDonald and Gregory Piper (Ryan Pilkington) we’re both great and the journey definitely (definately) kept me entertained.

I’d still take Line of Duty’s second best over Killing Eve or Doctor Foster or some of the other shows the BBC likes to hype to death.

Bring on whatever Mercurio does next. Personally I’d like him to have another go at a hospital drama. The first season of Bodies was brilliant.

Edited by Killerbee at 17:23:55 03-05-2021
  • chopsen 3 May 2021 17:30:45 21,879 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've seen some people argue that the writer was making a point about incompetence leadership surrounded and enabled by corruption in our current leadership, but I think that's a bit of a reach given the absence of satire anywhere else in this series.

Also don't buy the "but this is realistic" ending either. This series has been consistently batshit mental from the get go, and to suddenly go "well,actually what would happen in this situation in reality is...." seems like an improbable way to go.

I think they sort of did try and go for a scenario depicting the banality of evil, but I just don't think they pulled it off. It it turned out there was a grand mastermind and it was all just a bunch of people who were doing their job, they would have been *pissed*. After everything they'd gone through, are they really just going to "you can't make mugs out of us" and then do Serious Face in a lift? They would have had a fucking melt down!
  • SolidSCB 3 May 2021 17:59:31 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is it. Just a few episodes ago, they got ambushed on a city street in broad daylight with a full armed response unit and snipers to stop some guy who was simply being used by H from talking. They've firmly established it as high drama with a loose sense on reality and a wide, mysterious overarching plot with wild twists and turns.

To then turn around with 20 minutes to go, with H finally in grasp and then go "Doesn't matter anyway, this is the real world. Have some symbolism that corruption will always exist no matter what anyone does" is some GCSE coursework level rubbish.

It was total nonsense.
  • gman7714 3 May 2021 18:26:06 521 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has it been confirmed there is "definately" not a season 7? Because that ending smacked of there may be another one

Edited by gman7714 at 18:26:42 03-05-2021
  • beastmaster 3 May 2021 18:29:38 22,084 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Pretty sure there will be another one. The reaction has not been overwhelming positive to say the least so they’ll go for high drama next time.
  • TheSaint 3 May 2021 18:30:38 20,658 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Forgot definitely being spelt wrong. The police should have been straight down the local Range Rover dealership as the OCG appear to be their biggest customer.
  • SolidSCB 3 May 2021 18:32:16 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I get the feeling they will probably do one now to salvage it's legacy but I think the intention was to leave it on a poignant note with that episode yesterday. Which is a huge lol.
  • chopsen 3 May 2021 18:38:31 21,879 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They should have just really pushed the boat out and cut to the old bloke talking to some mates down the pub post retirement, telling them incredulously that "I'm telling you, that's exactly what happened!" over a few too many beers. Twist being the whole thing was told by an unreliable narrator.

I do wonder that the UK convention of having just one writer for a whole series vs the US' large teams and multiple executive producers introduces the risk of this kind of thing. 5 minutes of anybody looking at this would have immediately realised how daft it was, but you can't see the wood for the trees sometimes when you're too up close with a project.

Edited by chopsen at 18:39:09 03-05-2021
  • X201 3 May 2021 19:11:51 21,633 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    chopsen wrote:

I do wonder that the UK convention of having just one writer for a whole series vs the US' large teams and multiple executive producers introduces the risk of this kind of thing. 5 minutes of anybody looking at this would have immediately realised how daft it was, but you can't see the wood for the trees sometimes when you're too up close with a project.
    I’d rather have six episodes of this than the twenty episodes of padding you get on US series, as the main plot moves at a glacial pace.
  • creepiest-lizard 3 May 2021 19:15:01 2,417 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just can't see past that fucking waistcoat.
  • Youthist 3 May 2021 20:17:22 14,511 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I do wonder if Covid really messed up what they wanted to do with the season and had to tone it right back to get it over the line last year.
  • creepiest-lizard 3 May 2021 20:25:48 2,417 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Youthist
    I thought the same thing. It feels very much like a placeholder because they coldntdo what they had planned.
    Like the low point in a movie before the finale
  • Dougs 3 May 2021 21:46:10 99,081 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @docrob ha, thought the same. Plus, as someone who is nearer 50, I vaguely remember spelling it like that through high school and not being Corrected so wondered if it was a generational thing.
  • Dougs 3 May 2021 21:50:40 99,081 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I just can't see past that fucking waistcoat.
    And the accent. It just made him come across as a godawful actor.
  • X201 3 May 2021 22:17:10 21,633 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I do wonder if Covid really messed up what they wanted to do with the season and had to tone it right back to get it over the line last year.
    It was fast tracked through post-production apparently.
    So less time to edit and re-edit to make things flow smoothly and fix things that aren’t working.
  • Darren 4 May 2021 13:14:31 9,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Got to say that I found the series 6 finale to be a huge disappointment. Revealing it to be any one other than someone high up the police ranks was always going to be a letdown, admittedly.

Sure, Ian Buckle has been in the series since it started (in series 1 he was playing golf with Tommy Hunter apparently) and always as this incompetent background character so the wool was well and truly pulled over everyone's eyes if it was always planned that he would be the fourth man.

However, in terms of entertainment, the whole reveal just fell flat after all the weeks of hype. This includes the prolonged reveal of who the fourth man was with secretive camera angles in the build up to the interview (everyone surely knew how it was as soon as they saw the Prisoner uniform?). It was just hard to accept that this bumbling buffoon had managed to avoid getting caught for so long. Realistic? Possibly but it does not make for great drama with a satisfactory ending.

And we are to believe that Buckle ordered Jo Davidson to set himself up so he would be arrested, which presumably he did on the assumption that AC-12 would find out that he had been setup and release him (which is what Carmichael was going to do last week)? Good way of avoiding suspicion, yes, but he'd have been stuck in prison if AC-12 had not their job. Yeah, really great plan, that!

Great series overall, one that I have really enjoyed rewatching from the start but series six on reflection was the weakest one so far.
  • Rum_Monkey 4 May 2021 16:03:10 2,690 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Blatantly going to be another series.
  • superdelphinus 4 May 2021 20:40:01 10,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I’ve watched all of them over the last year through lockdown. This series was really shit in comparison, and I do wonder whether COVID cocked things up a bit for them. Such a weird low key end - I was sure there was going to be some maximum twist right at the end (it should have been Hastings in the end, as a double bluff) instead of the world’s shittest actor with a ridiculous name. Buckles ffs.
  • Youthist 4 May 2021 20:48:06 14,511 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He was an awful actor it is true. He was so terrible early on in first few episodes I thought I was missing some subtext. But no - he just could not act.
  • Youthist 4 May 2021 20:48:47 14,511 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Also what was the deal with using the photo of James Nesbitt?
  • creepiest-lizard 4 May 2021 20:51:31 2,417 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha. I thought that.
  • superdelphinus 4 May 2021 20:52:41 10,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    He was an awful actor it is true. He was so terrible early on in first few episodes I thought I was missing some subtext. But no - he just could not act.
    Exactly. At one point I thought maybe he’s actually acting being really shit at acting, and he’s the bad guy and will suddenly act really well and it’ll be mind blowing. I essentially guessed who H was simply through this guy’s shit acting lol.
  • Tomo 4 May 2021 20:55:08 19,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Also what was the deal with using the photo of James Nesbitt?
    Cracking red herring. The best idea in the whole series.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.