Judge Dredd: Mega City One TV Show

First Previous
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 May 2017 17:25:17 8,787 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/10/judge-dredd-tv-show/

EW can exclusively reveal that independent entertainment studio IM Global and independent U.K. games developer and publisher Rebellion have struck a deal to turn the iconic comic book character into a TV show called Judge Dredd: Mega City One. The show is set in a future where the East Coast of the U.S. has become a crowded and crime-ridden megalopolis. It will be an ensemble drama about a team of Judges futuristic cops invested with the power to be judge, jury, and executioner as they deal with the challenges the future-shocked 22nd century throws at them. Early development has begun on the show, and talent will be announced at a later date.
  • Baihu1983 10 May 2017 17:27:46 10,621 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm.... would rather Dredd 2
  • minky-kong 10 May 2017 17:31:17 14,099 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    This
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 May 2017 17:34:28 8,787 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Between this, the Rogue Trooper remaster and opening up all 2000ad property for developers to pitch games it sounds like Rebellion has really stepped up marketing 2000ad.

I guess they've just hit a milestone issue (2000) and anniversary (40 years) and they've been doing really well with the legacy stuff (graphic novels, collections, digital etc) so perhaps the time is right to push beyond print and into everything else.

I'd love a sequel to Dredd but a tv show could be really cool. I'm a sucker for Dreddworld stuff as it is so I would say that.

Although the poster does make me think of Space Precinct for some reason.
  • YenRug 10 May 2017 17:47:33 4,553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    This
    I've been signed up to the "Bring Back DREDD" FB page for ages, which I'd only just had the notification that it has been renamed to "Judge Dredd: Mega-City One" / @MegaCityOneTV.

Quite simply, it wasn't going to happen. No matter how well the blu-ray had sold, which was significant, the box office takings poisoned the well of film production companies that they could draw upon to fund a sequel.

TV production was the only realistic route left, we can now only hope that they're in talks with Karl Urban, who's stated that he would be happy to don the helmet no matter where it ended up. He's already done TV at the same time as doing films, so hopefully it can be made to work long-term.
  • anephric 10 May 2017 18:01:26 3,029 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think Urban would jump at the chance, he loves the character and SF in general.

I think this sounds terrific, and unlike maybe one more film with one more storyline, this way the makers can pick and choose from tonnes of rich source material.

Orlok!
    Angel Gang!
    PJ Maybe!
    Chopper!
    Etc

There's so frickin' much.
  • kosigan 10 May 2017 18:12:28 669 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I really hope this comes to fruition.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 May 2017 18:14:34 8,787 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    While it had some of the best 3D I saw at the cinema releasing it as Dredd 3D turned out pretty daft in hindsight.

People most like to boycott 3D were probably the exact same people you'd expect to be the target market for a Dredd movie.

I think a sequel based on the fascist nature of MC1 and the corrupt judges (a sort dryer more grounded version of Judge Cal?) would have been great.

Hopefully the tv show is able to take its cues from the Netflix series and stuff like Gotham to adapt existing characters like Chopper, the Angels, and the rest.

As much as they're brilliant I think it'd be a mistake to go for villains like the Dark Judges too early.

As long as it's not Agents of SHIELD in the 'not allowed to use anyone interesting from the canon' stakes
  • anephric 10 May 2017 18:20:51 3,029 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't imagine Rebellion would say 'you can't use Judge Giant'.

They own all the characters, there's no pesky writer-owned ones, and it's not like they're going to be used anywhere else. I'm sure Rebellion want this to be as big as possible.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 May 2017 18:22:34 32,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome news!
  • Saul_Iscariot 10 May 2017 18:32:58 3,049 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    This
    I've been signed up to the "Bring Back DREDD" FB page for ages, which I'd only just had the notification that it has been renamed to "Judge Dredd: Mega-City One" / @MegaCityOneTV.

Quite simply, it wasn't going to happen. No matter how well the blu-ray had sold, which was significant, the box office takings poisoned the well of film production companies that they could draw upon to fund a sequel.

TV production was the only realistic route left, we can now only hope that they're in talks with Karl Urban, who's stated that he would be happy to don the helmet no matter where it ended up. He's already done TV at the same time as doing films, so hopefully it can be made to work long-term.
    I was at the last few Sci Fi weekenders, and at one and Garrett Wang, ensign Kim from Voyager was giving a talk. He was asked if he was a geek and if anyone on the cast was. He admitted he was, but most actors aren't. He then mentioned that Karl Urban was one of the few he had met that was, and that he was up for a lot of geek stuff. I would happily give my nutsack and contents for him to reprise his role of Dredd.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 May 2017 18:39:03 32,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He has done TV before too. I'm guessing the producers are hoping he'll do it, makes sense.
  • YenRug 10 May 2017 18:40:36 4,553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, seems Karl Urban's going to be pushing for it, he retweeted the announcement almost straight away:

And Digital Spy have approached him for comment, apparently:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a827998/judge-dredd-tv-series-coming-soon/

Digital Spy has reached out to Karl Urban star of the 2012 movie Dredd about any possible involvement in Judge Dredd: Mega City One. One encouraging sign is that Karl did retweet today's Mega-City One announcement:
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 May 2017 18:49:28 17,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If they get Urban I'll totes pop like 50 boners.
  • Saul_Iscariot 10 May 2017 18:53:03 3,049 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Decks Light weight, I'd boing til spring.
  • YenRug 10 May 2017 19:46:06 4,553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://megacityone.co.uk/
  • Derblington 10 May 2017 19:57:54 31,229 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Who are IM Global? What have they done?
    edit: seems like they were one of the companies behind Dredd, so that's promising.

What Dredd got so right was the tone. I'd love them them to hire both Urban and Thirlby but if they make it on the cheap and PG I'm not sure how it'll work.

Edited by Derblington at 20:03:14 10-05-2017
  • Baihu1983 10 May 2017 19:58:37 10,621 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    If they get Urban I'll totes pop like 50 boners.
    even if it was just the odd appearance throughout the season would be a plus
  • Deleted user 10 May 2017 20:19:42
    They need to get the helmet right this time. Karl Urban looked daft with it perched so high on his head.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 May 2017 20:22:33 17,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They'd be stupid not to try and get him, he's made no secret of how much he wants to play the role again. The only thing I can see holding it back is how much they'll have to pay him. Not that he seems to be getting much other work now.

Dredd was universally loved by fans so if they stick to that blueprint they'll be onto a winner. A cheapo robocop the series style thing wouldn't surprise me though.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 May 2017 20:23:23 17,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    They need to get the helmet right this time. Karl Urban looked daft with it perched so high on his head.
    The suit and helmet looked perfect imo.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2017 20:29:32
    They couldn't have got it more wrong, I thought. The nose shouldn't poke out below the visor and it should have a clear rim at the bottom, and the eyes should be in the eye sockets, not in the channels underneath. The suit looked like current police body armour, nothing like in the comics, no shoulder pad or eagle, like in every other version of Dredd ever
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 May 2017 20:38:19 17,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was a realistic take on it. Do it like the comics and you end up with the monstrosity we got in the Stallone film.
  • beastmaster 10 May 2017 20:40:17 18,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was a bit late with my thread.

This could be fucking amazing. Dunno if they'd bring back the actress who played Anderson. She was pretty good.
  • Vortex808 10 May 2017 20:40:35 12,943 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    ....the Stallone film.
    Please don't mention that, I'm trying to forget it was ever made!
  • ChiefGB 10 May 2017 20:44:49 9,900 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not watched dredd for a while actually. May be time to dig it out. Not got a 3D tv anymore though :(

Anyway, yeah if they go too cheap it could do more damage. I assume they are monitoring the interest but it seems serious. Thing is it has little following in the states as a property though doesn't it?? And they drop shows at the first sneeze.
  • Saul_Iscariot 10 May 2017 20:50:00 3,049 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    ....the Stallone film.
    Please don't mention that, I'm trying to forget it was ever made!
    I think that the only thing wrong with the Stallone film was Stallone, and I do not blame him for that. He got the film made, and it brought a much greater attention to what the Mega City 1 universe had to offer. I honestly think Stallone directing it would have been a better idea.

If you compare it to the Urban film, it shows more of the 2000ad set than Dredd did. I still think Dredd was only a setup, to test the bkack water, as it was. Stallone's Dredd had Fatties, Cursed Earth, Bloc Wars, Hammerstein type droids and much more. Urban's Dredd was too contained. It is still the better film, but I'd have loved to have seen much more of MC1.
  • Derblington 10 May 2017 20:51:58 31,229 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    They couldn't have got it more wrong, I thought. The nose shouldn't poke out below the visor and it should have a clear rim at the bottom, and the eyes should be in the eye sockets, not in the channels underneath. The suit looked like current police body armour, nothing like in the comics, no shoulder pad or eagle, like in every other version of Dredd ever
    Some of that varies by artists in the books, it's only logical they'll play with some artistic licence for a film that is trying to ground it in a reality that feels believable for a mass audience. The suit/helmet has all the features, just re-proportioned so as not to look ridiculous.
    If you want a more comic version, its out there and it's terrible.
  • Ginger 10 May 2017 20:52:42 7,252 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    PJ Maybe!
    Wait, what?
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 May 2017 20:53:47 9,255 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Peej
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.