The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 7

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Jan 2018 19:24:24 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Yeah, seconded on the "bosses as puzzles" thing. Compared to most Soulslikes, The Surge has very few bosses. But they're all very distinctive and tend to differ from the usual templates you see in the From Software games and Nioh.
  • ChiefGB 30 Jan 2018 21:24:14 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    I've still got this sealed on the PS4. I will play it sometime this year. I quite liked the demo.
    Mate, I've had it still sealed since launch lol. Picked up nioh at Black Friday too and also haven't opened that yet. One day.......
  • hedben2013 31 Jan 2018 06:32:14 1,058 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I didn't get to the boss last night after all. Found two different ways through a dark power plant, but by the time I got to a scary boss-looking door I was freaking out with way too much tech scrap and no healing. At least I know a more direct route there now.

Best moment so far was unlocking a lift just around the corner from Operations when I had no idea I was anywhere near it. This game is pretty damn good actually.
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Jan 2018 07:28:43 24,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    £7 on Amazon (Xbox) at the moment! not my cuppa, but great value.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:46:11 31-01-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Jan 2018 09:07:40 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @hedben2013 Wait until you get to Central Production B. It's the game's largest area and serves as a big of a (very large, enemy-infested) hub for much of the rest of the game. It's also a delicious, looping, inter-connecting vertical maze of an area on a par with From Software's best.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2018 17:58:35
    I still have this sealed. Not sure why I've not played it yet as I did quite enjoy the demo. Has a decent vibe to it and the combat was really good. Guess I just felt something was still missing.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2018 18:38:00
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    @Addy_B I can see that, very much a "double A" title, but I think I would've happily paid three times what I did for this.

The Surge 2 is now very much on my radar.
    Yeah I got this for £8 in a sale last year for ps4. I'm currently swimming in Xbox waters so when I get back on the PS4 I'll fire it up. I'll have to check out the surge 2. When is that due out?
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Feb 2018 19:22:28 22,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It is a good length of game and a nice holdover while waiting for a new From game. The DLC is quite fun and adds some extra story elements as well.

It realistically only has a couple of playthroughs as there is not that much diversity in play style or weaponry as there are only three types really and the staff is a bit lame imo. It is also relatively short compared to Souls games so you can bang it out pretty quickly.
  • hedben2013 12 Feb 2018 19:42:07 1,058 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Different strokes and all that... the staff is my favorite by a country mile at the moment. Good range, and quick enough to jump in, get a few whacks and retreat.

I've got heavy arms and body, and light (Lynx) everything else, which seems to hit the right balance of armour and speed/stamina. Just got to Central Production B last night after defeating the first boss, and I even allowed myself a few moments of smugness for defeating it, until I got my arse handed to me by the tougher grunts in the next section. Good game.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Feb 2018 19:52:06 22,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I tended to find the staff got me into too much trouble with its combos and lacked the impact to stun enemies. I am probably being more down on it than necessary as it does have some good elements to it.

You get set bonuses if you wear the same type of armour btw. Not that big a deal early on but some of the later ones have good bonuses. There is a fairly nice set available in production b that is a medium weight, it is what I used for a lot of my playthrough.
  • StaffyDog 13 Feb 2018 16:08:34 1,565 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked this up new at GAME £6.99 , played a good bit on ps4 when realeased, never finished it as it got hard as fuck but enjoyable.

Edited by StaffyDog at 16:09:02 13-02-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Feb 2018 16:25:03 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky Bosses in this are properly hard. They don't really fit into the usual Souls template, so you really do have to learn their mechanics from scratch rather than just falling back on the standard boss toolkit. Big contrast with Dark Souls 3, which had a very large number of bosses, almost all of which were based on standard series archetypes.
  • hedben2013 7 Mar 2018 10:12:43 1,058 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need to get back into this, currently a bit stalled in Central Production B. I got a couple of great staffs (one electric, one fiery from the DLC) but lately I'm finding I can only game in short bursts, and this is more of a sit-down-and-concentrate-for-an-hour type game. Also, Dark Souls 3 is reduced ATM, and the only thing stopping me from buying it is I know this game will end up abandoned...
  • Dgzter 7 Mar 2018 10:25:18 2,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's discounted on Steam atm...hmmm...I do fancy it and had meant to pick it up before now, so tempting.

13.99 for base; 21.99 for complete edition.
  • Derblington 7 Mar 2018 10:38:10 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is this pretty good then? I've been interested in a while because of the style (combat and sci-fi). It;s cheap enough that it;s impluse purchase now, for when I have some time.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Mar 2018 10:41:11 40,158 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's a demo on Steam. Would have bought it, but it really didn't run well on my PC (although it should have).
  • Dgzter 7 Mar 2018 11:02:58 2,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Derblington I enjoyed the demo enough, certainly; however, my gut says it's a step up over their previous offering, Lords of the Fallen, but not quite at a comparable level to something like the Souls series.

Like you, I think I'm mainly interested now as it's in cheap/impulse territory.

Edited by Dgzter at 11:05:58 07-03-2018
  • Dgzter 9 Mar 2018 08:36:17 2,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, think I'm going to bite on this before the Steam price expires later today.

Question is: worth going in for the Complete edition or just base game at this stage?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Mar 2018 09:14:21 32,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's plenty of game in the base game. If the cost difference isn't much though, I believe the recent DLC is supposed to be pretty good.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Mar 2018 11:33:31 22,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes indeed the dlc is a good addition to the game, if one enjoyed the main game at all it is definitely worth the investment.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Mar 2018 12:58:11 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @superbob85 Combat is very much in the Dark Souls model (possibly more Bloodborne-ish, as while blocking is possible it's not massively effective).

The main different from Dark Souls is the relative lack of I-frames, particularly on dodges. You absolutely do need to be dodging, but your positioning and the direction of your dodge matters more when you can't magically go invincible for a few frames (so no avoiding a big AoE attack by being in the middle of a dodge when it hits you). The body-part targeting mechanic is also a bit of a twist on the Souls formula, but feels intuitive pretty quickly.
  • StaffyDog 10 Mar 2018 17:34:29 1,565 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím afraid itís traded, way to hard in later levels and I was level 80! Did enjoy my time with it though.
  • wuntyphyve 13 May 2019 11:20:24 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I'm back on this now. Killed Big Sister last night (which was erm, not entirely fun) and I'm a good chunk into R&D.

I still think the attacking / weapons are very one note. I have 3 single sigged weapons and they all have the same moves and the damage output isn't much different bewteen them so never sure what I should be using. Getting on okay though. Combat took a while to get used to but it's clicked again.

Hoping as it's now officially on my list of my 1 in 5 I'll actually finish it this time.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 12:20:31 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    So I'm back on this now. Killed Big Sister last night (which was erm, not entirely fun) and I'm a good chunk into R&D.

I still think the attacking / weapons are very one note. I have 3 single sigged weapons and they all have the same moves and the damage output isn't much different bewteen them so never sure what I should be using. Getting on okay though. Combat took a while to get used to but it's clicked again.

Hoping as it's now officially on my list of my 1 in 5 I'll actually finish it this time.
    Congrats on getting Big Sister down - that's a fairly nasty boss. R&D is a fairly tricky area - you start encountering better equipped/more agile enemies there. I personally found the latter part of R&D one of the game's trickiest sections.

There doesn't tend to be a huge difference between the moveset of different weapons within the same category - they mostly differ in terms of stats/special effcts and maybe slightly by reach. The difference between the different weapon categories is pretty huge, though. I did most of NG with single-handed weapons, then switched to single-rigged for NG+ and it felt totally different.
  • wuntyphyve 13 May 2019 12:54:15 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon Cheers! It was quite a frustating boss for sure. The start of the second phase is just a clusterfuck with those four arm things and that was what kept killing me the most. Once I killed them the last part was fairly straightforward.

I've encounted what looks like rigs with human heads so far. Quite fast but go down quick at least. I'm still rocking the hazard set or whatever it's called so thankfully the hazard enemies poison grenades do sod all to me.

Yeah, I was using a single handed weapon too for a bit but the proficiency was lower so I ditched it. I do like the weighty feel of these single rigged ones though as I'm smacking things in the face.
  • Addy__ 13 May 2019 17:49:03 528 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I think I'm going to have to buy this and start it on pc after rage 2. I really like the look of the setting.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.