The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 9

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 23:04:47 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rodderz Yeah, he's tough. The Surge only has 5 bosses. It compensates for that by having each and every one of them be bastard-hard.

The second and final bosses are pretty epic, to the extent I'd say From Software might want to take a look at some of their mechanics.
  • Rodderz 15 May 2019 23:28:20 3,920 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Rodderz Yeah, he's tough. The Surge only has 5 bosses. It compensates for that by having each and every one of them be bastard-hard.

The second and final bosses are pretty epic, to the extent I'd say From Software might want to take a look at some of their mechanics.
    Wow, really? I hope I can make it that far then as I'm finding myself rather liking this game, despite the fact I hated Lords of the Fallen by the same studio (I didn't last 2 hours with it before it was deleted).

The Surge feels familiar in a Souls kind of way, so you can definitely see the From influences, but I like that it's also doing its own thing with the setting, 'body part targeting' combat mechanics and the varied equipment construction. Oh, and I'm glad there's no guns 😉.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 23:36:04 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rodderz Yeah, Lords of the Fallen was a bit of a mis-step. The Surge corrects a lot of the problems and adds some unique twists. I like the focus on positioning in melee. The later From games - DS3 and Sekiro - only rarely make you think about positioning, it's all down to the timing of button-presses with them. But in The Surge, you've got to be aware of your position vs the enemy, the range of their swings and anything that might obstruct your movement.

Given the trajectory of improvement from Lords of the Fallen to The Surge, I'm very curious to see what they do with The Surge 2.

As for a Soulslike with guns (proper guns, not the Bloodborne parry-equivalents)... that's going to be tricky. So much of the Soulslike mechanic comes down to the interplay of melee weapons. Doing it properly would need something like a WH40K setting, where guns exist but armour is so good that melee is competitive with them.

Ok, now I want a WH40K Soulslike.
  • wuntyphyve 15 May 2019 23:47:11 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This Black Cerberus fight is testing my patience. It doesnít help when the fight is bugged to fuck

Ha ha ha oh my god. This is utterly appalling. Iíll keep at it but what a shit show.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 00:11:11 16-05-2019
  • wuntyphyve 16 May 2019 00:30:16 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heís dead. Iím starting to wonder how much of the problem was the game and how much was me. Hmmmmm. Iím actually suspecting the latter.
  • AcidSnake 16 May 2019 08:56:55 8,106 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

Really? Only 5?
    I was sort of enjoying the game and liked the level design but then went up to the second boss (this is the multi armed mega roomba, right?) and just found the whole thing to be frustrating and nothing spectacular design wise.
    I'll admit I messed up one of the upgrades as I didn't know they stacked so I only had 3 (I believe) estus equivalents...

What mechanics does the second boss have that you think are so special?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 May 2019 09:01:42 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AcidSnake The destructible parts for one thing. I'm not aware of many/any Soulsborne bosses with such specific locational damage. Ok, some have tails you can sever, but nothing like that particular Surge boss.
  • wuntyphyve 16 May 2019 09:19:35 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Funny, not many online guides for the Black Cerberus fight actually say how to avoid the extra PAX units or how to stop him healing. Glad I read that somewhere or I would never have got past the fucker.
  • AcidSnake 16 May 2019 09:48:09 8,106 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon:
    Fair enough. I've not seen enough of the other bosses to gauge quality in general but I hadn't seen anything that spectacular...

Sure targeting specific limbs is interesting but DS had some interesting things as well. Seath's crystal, the Earthen peak poison arena, making Ceaseless Discharge trip and cutting his hand. There's even one boss who will change attack pattern if you have a particular helmet on...

I might just be a bit bitter because I wanted to enjoy Surge more. I've always liked sci-fi a lot more than fantasy and hoped it would match the quality of DS...
  • Cappy 17 May 2019 19:12:48 14,070 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Cappy Think of it like the first Alien movie. There aren't guns in the setting because it's an industrial plant. Why would there be guns everywhere?
    Not exactly. The reason they opted for incinerators and electrical prods initially (before they realised that Alien Jr. had been through a growth spurt) is that they were afraid that the acidic blood the alien contains would breach the hull. I'm pretty certain in the script (I used to own it in absolutely beautiful illustrated form, it got loaned to a friend and got lost when he moved house :( )and adaptation it mentions that the exploration team were armed.

They were too scared of making holes in the alien.

The only way no guns in The Surge makes sense is if the Democrats took over the World, ban guns everywhere and destroy all guns and facilities for their manufacture and all the knowledge for their creation.

You'd be hard pressed to find security anywhere in the States armed with a wanky stun prod. They'd be at too much of a disadvantage from a single troublemaker with a pistol.
  • AaronTurner 17 May 2019 19:45:46 10,846 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's a factory with a mission for working towards world peace, why would they have guns?
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 19:52:35 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's no guns in this because it's set in a factory.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 20:00:28 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still at a complete loss as to why that's weird. The people that made this game didn't make it a shooter game. It's an action melee focused lite-RPG. It's not real. it's a game. There are no guns in this game apart from what has already been mentioned. That's fine, because it's not a shooting game. It's a melee focused game. It's set in a factory.

Look... you play a man hired to do menial factory work. First day on the job and everything goes tits up, the machines take over then security and bio-hazard on-site teams are called in. The security guys don't have guns. If we're diving balls deep into this, I can only speculate it's because it's set in a factory where the workers don't typically carry guns to work, as that's no something a company would presumably encourage. Therefore why a security team would need guns to shoot people that DON'T carry guns is a mystery. Presumably no-one wants the on-site security team to riddle a factory and R&D area full of bullet/laser/whatever holes. they possibly don't want to shoot up their workforce either. I'm speculating here. We'll never know for sure. Because it's a game. It's not real. The game is a melee-focused game.
  • Addy__ 17 May 2019 20:05:31 528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I wouldn't waste your time explaining mate. Once Cappy gets a bee in his bonnet about something he's decidedly blinkered and it's like pulling teeth.
    Just try and erase the uncomfortable thought of him interfering with the thread as best you can.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 20:07:58 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've... been in factories in real life a couple of times. I saw lots of big heavy machines, a couple of robots and... no guns. Not one. People don't go to work in a factory in the morning with their rifle over their shoulder, even in the US. Co-workers don't settle disputes over lunch with firearms. There may or may not be security, but it is generally there to make sure employees don't pinch stuff and the security guys DO NOT HAVE GUNS.

Besides, why does the game even need guns? Want a game in an industrial sci-fi setting with guns? Play Dead Space. The Surge isn't Dead Space. It's a Soulslike focussed around using repurposed industrial tools to break things and people. That's actually quite a bit more distinctive than yet another game where you run around with guns.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 21:16:06 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually. No. He's right. We should all have guns in work because it's present day. Guns have been invented, therefore I should have one. I think I'll take my shotgun into work tomorrow morning and shoot the fuck out of the kettle, then the remains of the quality street that are going a bit past their best. Then I'm going to answer the phone. With my gun.

Wooooah. Wait. I don't have a gun? Why do I not have a gun? Guns exist. I should have one. I should have one at work. I need to speak to my union rep. I bet he's got a gun and if he doesn't, I suspect he'll want a gun as well.
  • Cappy 17 May 2019 22:22:38 14,070 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I see that The Surge is very cheap... Very, very cheap. It's almost as if people don't want this game for some reason...

Maybe I should buy this pinched off, derivative turd of a game, then I can crap on it EVERY SINGLE Day until I get bored.

Maybe this can go on for months.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 22:32:03 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Cappy Or maybe you are just being a wanker...
  • Cappy 17 May 2019 22:34:56 14,070 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks like I'm buying a game.
  • Addy__ 17 May 2019 22:36:11 528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    2 year old game in cheap to buy shocker. Read all about it.
  • Cappy 17 May 2019 22:40:15 14,070 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bloodborne, which is even older is four or five time more more expensive. Who knows why?

Maybe it has something to do with that derivative turd thing I mentioned.
  • Addy__ 17 May 2019 22:50:31 528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Lol thing is no one even said the game is the best thing ever. You basically started chirping on about guns like a fruitcake. Fill yer boots lad.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 22:50:50 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Other games that would be better with guns:

Street Fighter 2: So there are guys fighting. One of them's even a fucking soldier. And they don't use fucking guns?!? WTF! This game is shit. They just fuck around punching and kicking and throwing derivitive fucking fireballs at each other. If just one of those so-called street fighters had a gun they could spend the whole game shooting shit up and it would be awesome.

Super Mario Bros: So he's got to rescue a princess. And he's a plumber. What fucking kind of fucking plumber doesn't have a gun? Fuck jumping on those turtles. That's derivitive shit. If Mario had an AR15 and just shot the shit out of them, this game might not be such total bollocks.

Tiger Woods PGA Golf: So it's golf. And it's set in fucking America. But nobody has a gun. Seriously, this is America. If this game had any credibility at all, you would be able to take a gun and shoot the other golfers. But instead it's just some derivitive shit that makes you play golf against them, like every other golf game.
  • AcidSnake 17 May 2019 23:09:48 8,106 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Once Cappy gets a bee in his bonnet about something he's decidedly blinkered and it's like pulling teeth.
    Yeah. Honestly Cappy, you're so damn negative all of the time. If gaming gets you so angry maybe give it a break?

Games being very cheap has all to do with how well they sold, and unless you're trying to make the point that only bad games don't sell I think you could be in for a massive surprise...

Though that would mean that by your reasoning the Switch has the strongest line up of games of all the current consoles and PC as they hardly drop in price at all...
    So after all your tired "Bait and Switch" spiel you're now officially endorsing the Switch...
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 23:32:02 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Cappy shhhhh. Itís alright. Look. Hereís something soft and colourful you can play with. Donít think about that nasty gunless game. No no. Dont look at it. Itís not worth it.

Did one of the devs send you a nasty email or something? You seem to have a bit of a thing going here chief. No one here is saying itís not derivative. Nor that itís the best thing ever. All thatís happened is youíve just stumbled in out the rain, stale vomit on your shirt and started blabbering about firearms.
  • Rodderz 17 May 2019 23:35:41 3,920 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Actually. No. He's right. We should all have guns in work because it's present day. Guns have been invented, therefore I should have one. I think I'll take my shotgun into work tomorrow morning and shoot the fuck out of the kettle, then the remains of the quality street that are going a bit past their best. Then I'm going to answer the phone. With my gun.
    https://youtu.be/yooamJf-T_8
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 23:36:25 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon lol
  • wuntyphyve 18 May 2019 09:01:09 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You know what. Iím glad I picked this up again. Not a half bad game at all. Some enemies towards the end were a bit of a pain in the arse and the boss fights were a bit annoying but actually enjoyed this. I ended up with a mk V weapon and gear but I needed all my health injectables for the last boss. Every last one.

Decent. Will keep an eye on the sequel.
  • DUFFMAN5 18 May 2019 09:28:38 24,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Chaps does this have "save anywhere" or is is like the Souls games in that regard. I can't deal with that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2019 09:34:00 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Chaps does this have "save anywhere" or is is like the Souls games in that regard. I can't deal with that.
    Souls-style saving. As with the Souls game, dying is pretty much part of the gameplay loop.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.