The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 10

Next Last
  • DUFFMAN5 18 May 2019 09:36:16 24,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    I thought as much, not for me then. Cheers :)
  • Cappy 19 May 2019 18:36:08 14,119 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Other games that would be better with guns...
    You bet! Especially Tiger Woods.

This game really should have been called The Sperg from the way some of you guys are reacting, to somebody who outright told you they were going to troll you.
  • Rodderz 28 May 2019 16:45:09 3,956 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finished this a couple of evenings ago and I have to say that I really rather enjoyed it. The level design was pretty good with some interesting level shortcuts similar to Souls games, the whole modern/futuristic industrial setting and art was quite refreshing and the graphics were surprisingly decent for a 10gb install.

The bosses were pretty good and I really liked some of the designs, especially Boss 3 'Big Sister 1/3' which was pretty damn inspired! I can't think of another game that has you fighting what was essentially a robotic production line!

I managed to get a full set of MG Gorgon armour which was great for the stamina regen-speed buff and I upgraded the lot to Mk.V by the end. For weapons I loved the Spitfire staff v.2.0, which had a super useful and unique 'triple poke' charged move that would set enemies on fire. I also eventually got the giant energy axe v.2.0 from Black Cerberus which was a real heavy hitter with some lethal movesets. I got all his armour set as well after that fight but stuck with the Gorgon gear.

Game length was pretty good too given I'm usually exploring a lot in these types of games, finishing around the 25 hour mark, so it didnt outstay its welcome or feel too short.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for what the devs do for The Surge 2.
  • wuntyphyve 28 May 2019 16:47:15 12,794 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rodderz nice! Think I rocked the gorgon set too with the exception of the black Cerberus headpiece which reduces energy costs for the drone.

A well decent game though. Still no idea what the hell it was about.

Did you find Don Hackett?
  • Rodderz 28 May 2019 17:04:11 3,956 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Yep, I found him and I really wasn't expecting that! A pretty grim end for Don but it certainly 'humanised' him from the smug corporate-promoting twat you think he is from his screen appearances during the game. There wasn't many happy endings for anyone actually; the woman who you give a staff weapon/armour too during the game had to be killed after she loses her mind in the Corporate area and attacks Warren and the scientist and his 'daughter' story ending with her death, by the sound of it for the second time in his life too.... Sheesh!

Agreed on the story, I wasn't fully sure what the hell was going on or why, other than a few snippets of information that give you a partial picture here and there. That or I likely hadn't paid enough attention!
  • wuntyphyve 28 May 2019 17:39:30 12,794 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha yeah. Pretty bleak! The NPC questlines were pretty decent actually I thought. Felt a bit sorry for Don in the end though. Even though he did my tits in.
  • Nanocrystal 29 May 2019 00:04:04 1,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally started playing this, just past the first boss and exploring the second main area. Very impressed.

I know I shouldn't do this as they are different games with different intentions, but I can't help but compare it to Sekiro, and I'm having to admit to myself that I'm enjoying The Surge a lot more. For one thing, I really missed being able to level up my stats in Sekiro. Sure, there were new abilities to unlock and prayer beads to find, but you never really felt like you were getting stronger or hitting harder. The stealth in Sekiro was enjoyable but it trivialised a lot of the open areas. Fountainhead Palace for example I was able to sneak through with ease on my first attempt. In The Surge, grunt enemies feel dangerous again. On the other hand, the one boss fight I've done so far was quite forgiving and by the time I'd figured out what to do it was actually fun. Sekiro's boss fights were mostly something I dreaded and just had to slog through.

The level design, as others have said, is fantastic and right up there with From's best. Exploration is constantly rewarded in one way or another, either with a shortcut, or meaningful items such as a new weapon or useful upgrade materials, rather than yet another ceramic shard or sugar that I'll never use. The limb targeting and related mechanics are well implemented. Weapon proficiency is an interesting idea but now that I'm 10+ with a staff I feel like I'll be hamstrung if I ever switch to another weapon type. At least that leads to some different play styles and some replay value. Graphically the game is pretty impressive IMO, much more colourful and detailed that LotF which I just remember being a drab grey smudge. The song that plays at the "bonfire" could easily have become annoying but it's actually pretty great.

To summarise, this is a game I look forward to playing, while Sekiro was a game I looked forward to finishing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 May 2019 08:52:27 6,522 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nanocrystal Note you aren't quite as locked in to a weapon type as you might think. Powerful enemies will increase your proficiency very quickly, so you can get a second (or third) weapon type up to speed pretty quickly late in the game.

I made the switch from single-handed to twin-rigged early in NG+, to take advantage of a super-whizzy end-game weapon I'd acquired. I had a couple of really nasty fights against trash mobs, where it felt like my hits were doing next to no damage, but then the proficiency skill caught up after a few fights and things were fine.
  • nickthegun 12 Jun 2019 09:18:14 78,749 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Question: Does that fucking song in ops EVER change? If not, I might legitimately be tempted to bin it.

But, yeah, it does feel like you get pretty locked in to your choices. Ive just finished the biolabs and Im still rolling with the PAX single rig I got on the first level because its proficiency scaling is so high. Everything else feels pointless.

Same with the armour, really. Ive still got the lynx armour. I don't know if theres anywhere you can grind resources but the tiered materials are really boring. Ive got enough materials to upgrade everything in the game to level 2 but have nothing to take me up to L3, so ive had the same gear for pretty much 3 levels.
  • Nanocrystal 12 Jun 2019 10:40:08 1,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Roguey was right, you're not really locked into a weapon style. I switched weapon classes for the first time in the final area (armor too) and quickly levelled up my proficiency.

But yeah the song... the song never changes.
  • wuntyphyve 12 Jun 2019 10:42:15 12,794 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun You can turn the song off in the options. I recommend you do.
  • Nanocrystal 12 Jun 2019 10:42:51 1,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, pro-tip: you can build new armor at the higher levels straight away, no need to build lvl 1 armor then level it up through each consecutive level. I realised this about an hour before the end of the game lol.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2019 10:43:22 6,522 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hah, they added the option to turn off the song in the first post-launch patch. It was pretty much the most requested feature.
  • nickthegun 12 Jun 2019 11:58:54 78,749 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Also, pro-tip: you can build new armor at the higher levels straight away, no need to build lvl 1 armor then level it up through each consecutive level. I realised this about an hour before the end of the game lol.
    As far as I can see, you need L3 materials to build L3 armour, the same as if you were just upgrading them so, at the moment, I cant do that either.
  • wuntyphyve 12 Jun 2019 12:24:07 12,794 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun I donít think I went above L2 anything until the last couple of areas.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2019 13:12:22 6,522 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes, NG only takes you up to L5. You get access to L6 and upwards from the start of NG+. Gear starts to scale up quite quickly in the later parts of NG (basically once you get access to R&D).
  • robthehermit 12 Jun 2019 13:13:32 7,457 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Hah, they added the option to turn off the song in the first post-launch patch. It was pretty much the most requested feature.
    How did I not know this :-(
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.