The Orville - Seth Macfarlane lead sci-fi spoof series Page 5

• nickthegun 9 Feb 2019 22:06:25 78,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hah, yeah, the minute captain Seth gave that speech, the wife said 'i wonder what planet wide personality flaw these guys have?'.

Hats off, I never thought it would be astrology. I guessed baby eating.
  • neems 10 Feb 2019 07:28:33 4,604 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm surprised they didn't go with 'Look you muppets, you can't be okay with interstellar travel but still believe in astrology, it makes no sense. Astrology would be different on every planet, and it's an infinite universe, etc etc.'

On the other hand, they could have made it so that it turns out that the Jiliac(sp?) actually were dangerous, that would have been a good twist. And didn't Kelly and Bortus murder a whole bunch of prison staff who were just doing their job?
  • Dirtbox 10 Feb 2019 08:03:08 91,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Hah, yeah, the minute captain Seth gave that speech, the wife said 'i wonder what planet wide personality flaw these guys have?'.

Hats off, I never thought it would be astrology. I guessed baby eating.
    She nailed it. Much like Voyager was forehead prosthetic of the week, this is bumpkin stupidity in the same timeslot.

Keeping it current affairs, I wonder if the anti-vax pukes are The Great Firewall that drive us to extinction.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:04:27 10-02-2019
  • Rodpad 27 Feb 2019 17:41:21 2,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spoilers for this week.

Well that was a pretty grim reveal. I don't think we've ever seen harrowing imagery on that scale in Star Trek, just the occasional planet explosion.

Let's hope they don't forgive and take Issac back when he inevitably "evolves", has a change of heart and saves the day next week.

Edited by Rodpad at 17:41:53 27-02-2019
  • Razz 1 Mar 2019 20:02:27 607 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That was a bloody good episode! BOOM BITCH!
  • Scimarad 1 Mar 2019 20:09:36 9,617 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I almost said something about identity part 2 and then remembered it hadn't aired over here yet! Really 'fun' two parter.
  • Razz 1 Mar 2019 20:17:10 607 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Scimarad

If somebody had told me years ago that the creator of family guy would produce one of the best space battles TV has ever seen, I would have died laughting. But here we are, and I remain very much alive.

Now we know why we had so many "low budget" character driven episodes this season.They were saving the budget for this spectacle!

Edited by Razz at 20:17:37 01-03-2019
  • Murbs 1 Mar 2019 21:27:41 24,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm waiting for Bortus's son to identify as female. There doesn't seem to be many issues the program is afraid to tackle.
  • Scimarad 2 Mar 2019 05:09:14 9,617 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Murbs

I'd be fairly surprised if that didn't happen considering her past. And the fact everybody on the ship knows it and most of them don't approve of it. The real fun bit for Bortus would be if she she likes girls...

Edited by Scimarad at 05:09:23 02-03-2019
  • Scimarad 2 Mar 2019 05:09:53 9,617 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Razz

Yeah, I can't wait to watch that 'properly' next week!
  • gammonbanter 3 Mar 2019 18:41:32 1,796 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloody great series!
    The Kaylon are motivated and scarey, the comparison with the Borg is valid. I wonder if the producers will learn from how, ultimately, Star Trek spoiled the borg? I thought those bodies belonged to the Keylon before they uploaded their minds to robots
  • Zerobob 6 Mar 2019 13:21:25 2,242 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow I didn't expect a 2 part epic storyline. I really feel like this show is starting to find its feet and I definitely don't feel I've wasted my time watching it, like I do with half the series I watch.

I still feel like the writing has some problems though, not least of which is how heavily the Kaylon borrow from the Borg in the latest episode.

The plot also relied on convenient oversights that highly advanced synthetic lifeforms wouldn't be guilty of, and the fact that the Kaylon weren't able to seamlessly communicate via WiFi.
  • AcidSnake 6 Mar 2019 13:41:20 8,143 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    the fact that the Kaylon weren't able to seamlessly communicate via WiFi.
    It had no bearing on the plot though. They weren't foiled because someone decrypted their language or something, it was just a way of communicating this to the audience, otherwise you'd have a moment of awkward silence before the same dude started speaking in English again...
  • Zerobob 6 Mar 2019 15:00:41 2,242 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:
    the fact that the Kaylon weren't able to seamlessly communicate via WiFi.
    It had no bearing on the plot though. They weren't foiled because someone decrypted their language or something, it was just a way of communicating this to the audience, otherwise you'd have a moment of awkward silence before the same dude started speaking in English again...
    In the latest episode Kaylon's were taken down on multiple occasions unbeknown to the rest of the Kaylons, such as in the armoury which allowed a weapon to be stolen, and again in the shuttlebay which allowed crew members to escape for help. Both of these incidents had a huge bearing on the outcome of the story.

Advanced synthetic lifeforms, visibly operating using electronic machine-based internals, who operate as a collective, would without a shadow of a doubt have, at the very least, a way for one Kaylon to transmit an instantaneous emergency signal to all other Kaylon. Even a Kaylon being shot and going "off grid" should have been enough to raise alarm bells.

The Borg possessed this ability due to their collective consciousness, so they may as well have simply borrowed this aspect of them too, so the science at least made sense. Then construct the plot with this in mind.

The truly silly thing is that we know Kaylon technology is capable of this type of communication; The writers established this when they shut down Isaac remotely from another star system at the beginning of the story.
  • AcidSnake 6 Mar 2019 16:19:28 8,143 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Zerobob:
    Well, sure... I was commenting on it as a narrative thing. Having them communicate immediately in silence or even not responding after several nanoseconds when the humans have asked something is done for the viewers, not the plot...
    By the same gesture if instant emergency communication was a thing (and I agree they seem to have that level of technology) the show could have easily technobabbled a way around that by having someone jam their transmissions before shooting them...

In general they didn't require the Orville at all. They could have just flown to earth and shot everything along the way and be better off anyway...

This just makes for better viewing...
  • Zerobob 6 Mar 2019 16:56:29 2,242 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @Zerobob:
    Well, sure... I was commenting on it as a narrative thing. Having them communicate immediately in silence or even not responding after several nanoseconds when the humans have asked something is done for the viewers, not the plot...
    I agree it's better for the viewer if the Kaylon say everything vocally, but it could have been revealed they they were using secret electronic communication the whole time too (machines can multitask seamlessly) which could have been cool. My problem was I automatically assumed they were communicating electronically, and you were meant to assume that as the viewer, until events unfolded that showed they definitely weren't.

By the same gesture if instant emergency communication was a thing (and I agree they seem to have that level of technology) the show could have easily technobabbled a way around that by having someone jam their transmissions before shooting them...
    Which is precisely my point. The show could have so easily done that, but didn't.

In general they didn't require the Orville at all. They could have just flown to earth and shot everything along the way and be better off anyway...

This just makes for better viewing...
    I was thinking that too... why didn't the Kaylon just go and commit intergalactic genocide years ago, if that's their end goal? Maybe they were biding their time for some reason. Maybe they thought they weren't quite ready yet, but after The Orville arrived unannounced and discovered their secret they were forced to take the initiative, rather than risk The Orville warning the entire galaxy of their plans.
  • gammonbanter 6 Mar 2019 18:19:04 1,796 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're not as advanced as they (Keylon) appear is my take on things! Why do they take the shape of a humanoid (or are these just the Keylon we've met)? Do their ships contain a bridge crew or simply one AI (a la Battlestar reboot)?

They clearly don't operate using a hive mind.

They do have all the production value of 60s British Sci-Fi, CGI head turrets aside! Either way, I'm a fan!
  • AcidSnake 6 Mar 2019 21:52:14 8,143 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @gammonbanter:
    I think the main reason they look like humanoids is because it could lead to good parody opportunities of the Borg/Data/Cylons whatever...

Looking back to the first few episodes it's clear what they're doing now with the show isn't at all what they pitched or had in mind (though for some reason I can see McFarlane preferring this to what it was)...Just that people seemed to like the ideas a lot more than the humour so they started shifting this way...

@Zerobob:
    About the not technobabbling electronic communication away I think it's better this way. It keeps moving at least and we're all pretty much familiar with all the tropes anyway so we don't need all that explicitly...
    I like that they didn't do a whole explanatory bit about their version of the Holodeck for instance because it's an easy concept for anyone who has seen these shows to grasp...
    Though I do realise that you might prefer it to be a bit more techy...

In general it's turning out a lot better than I thought it had any right to be and they've toned the humour down considerably...
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Mar 2019 21:04:20 8,774 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Where's the show this week?!
  • Razz 21 Mar 2019 21:08:25 607 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's on in US tonight, so up in usual places tomorrow
  • Razz 23 Mar 2019 01:28:03 607 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Brilliant ep! :D They're having such a great season, Bortus smoking on the bridge had us rolling with laughter
  • BigOrkWaaagh 23 Mar 2019 07:21:58 8,774 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still hasn't been on in the UK and no sign of it for at least two weeks :(
  • DarmokJalad 23 Mar 2019 09:35:13 63,700 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's on another three week break. Rumors are Fox is trying to kill it
  • BigOrkWaaagh 23 Mar 2019 09:58:22 8,774 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That would be a terrible shame.
  • DarmokJalad 23 Mar 2019 20:37:07 63,700 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Only for Fox, I'm sure another network would snap it up in a heartbeat.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 28 Mar 2019 10:22:25 8,774 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Episode 11 due on Fox on 11/04 for anyone who's actually watching it at the UK pace.
  • DarmokJalad 8 Apr 2019 20:59:48 63,700 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Apr 2019 09:29:58 8,774 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't have been the only one thinking that when Gordon closed the holodeck program and the bed and woman disappeared and he crashed to the floor, a little bit of jizz should have fallen and splattered next to him.

Can I?
  • DarmokJalad 14 Apr 2019 22:11:48 63,700 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hahaha, nice little Thor Ragnarok reference in The Orville this week.
  • Psychotext 17 Apr 2019 23:12:29 65,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why do I keep watching this? It's fucking garbage.

I can only assume that MacFarlane does the writing because it's incredibly hamfisted.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.