Following Far Cry 5

First Previous
  • Alastair 17 May 2017 13:36:26 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Did I miss a thread for this?

Quite excited as I enjoyed FC4 - it was my first Platinum trophy.
    Not much info yet, some rumours that its' set in Montana. The ‘some sort of modern weed/meth/drug/arms trade in the mountains' idea is more interesting to me than it being a Western.

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2017/05/17/far-cry-5-is-on-its-way/#.tnw_eOlpiboI
  • the_milkybar_kid 17 May 2017 13:54:27 8,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still not ready for another. Far Cry 4 was a completely beige FPS and couldn't be arsed with Primal.

Only just coming round to the idea of another Assassins Creed, even after not playing Unity and Syndicate.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 May 2017 14:04:31 26,034 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

Syndicate is well worth playing and is cheap, really enjoyed it. Likewise I got a lot of enjoyment out of Unity, once it had some updates. You can get it for under £2 I think!

I still have Primal to play, so can't critique it.
  • minky-kong 17 May 2017 14:27:41 14,594 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Would need to be a massive departure from the last couple for me to give a toss. Primal well and truly killed off my good will for Ubi's open world icon vomit after AC: Syndicate and Watch Dogs 2 clawed some of it back.
  • SomaticSense 17 May 2017 14:44:34 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, they need a drastic shake up of the formula for me to get excited, and I say that as someone who loved FC2&3. I got 6 or so hours into 4 and I felt like I'd had my fill for at least another decade. Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, and Far Cry all feel so similar to me that it feels as if I've already played 20 years worth of incremental sequels in half a decade.

So hopefully it's something new, because there'd be no point in producing yet another copy/paste job. Especially given the strong rumours of a FC3 remaster.
  • Alastair 17 May 2017 15:17:21 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Heh! I might be the only one on EG who played FC4 first.
    I really liked it, then went back and got FC3 cheap on 360. Erm, I preferred FC4 - there were little bits that I thought worked better than in FC3. Watchtowers were actually defended for example.
  • Scimarad 17 May 2017 15:39:31 9,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I played 3 first but never finished it.I preferred 4 and actually did manage to finish that. I think I just hated all the characters in the 3rd but merely hated most of the characters in the 4th. Also, Pagan Min was just so damned lovable:)
  • Alastair 17 May 2017 15:51:52 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FC4 had boobies
  • Cadence 17 May 2017 15:58:01 2,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm really tired of the ubisoft open world formula too. They're so by the numbers.
  • Rodderz 17 May 2017 16:07:20 4,167 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GoodForm wrote:
    Ubisoft games are best enjoyed from the bargain bin. At under 20 bucks, AC: Syndicate was fantastic. While I hated Far Cry: Primal, I quite enjoyed all the prior Far Cry games with guns. Far Cry 5 probably going back to guns, I'm sure I'll enjoy it in a year or two, when its price drops below 20 bucks.
    That's pretty much where I stand on these ubi games too. I usually buy them if they're in a heavily discounted sale (mostly digitally these days).

I'm glad you mentioned AC Syndicate was worth it as I purchased that in a recent PSN sale for around £12. I bought FC4 & Watchdogs in a digital sale for roughly the same price a year or so ago and enjoyed those too, but part of that was the low price I'd paid :). Watchdogs was at least a new ip and actually ended up being much better than I thought it was going to be.
  • Derblington 17 May 2017 16:34:17 33,409 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I wasn't impressed by Syndicate, it's simply another AC game. I don't really understand where the praise comes from. The best thing it does is ditch all the playable present-day drudge (it's still present, unfortunately).

Kinda feeling the same about Far Cry. 3 was the pinacle, and I did everything it offered. 4 was essentially the same game and I dropped it after a few hours. 5 needs to be different to be interesting.

There's nothing wrong with the Ubi titles if you play one from each franchise - they're typically well-made, very entertaining and provide a lot of content. The problem comes from playing more than that as it's just an exercise in muscle memory.

Edited by Derblington at 16:35:02 17-05-2017
  • OllyJ 17 May 2017 16:36:55 4,758 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd be more up for seeing Far Cry going absolutely mental with the action, especially escalating action when you're try to stealth it. Primal I really missed the explosions and heavy weapons, even though I prefer to go through it with the bow, I liked that if things went wrong you could whip out the grenade launcher.
  • minky-kong 17 May 2017 16:48:22 14,594 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    FC4 had boobies
    3 had tits too, and I'm not talking about the dudebro you play as and his mates.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 May 2017 16:48:28 33,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The problem with the Far Cry games is that open worlds are utterly pointless if there’s nothing interesting to see or find.
  • vDoll 17 May 2017 16:52:18 2,379 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If we stop buying their yearly Far Cry 3 reskin, they'll stop making them.
  • Derblington 17 May 2017 16:56:26 33,409 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The problem with the Far Cry games is that open worlds are utterly pointless if there’s nothing interesting to see or find.
    I disagree - they offer scale, scope and tactics. They don't need to be full of treasure - the geometry design is generally pretty good.

1, 2 and 3 were very different in tone and style. Common threads but different games. All were decent.
    4 is a rehash of 3 in every way. 5 needs to be different again to offer something interesting.
  • Alastair 17 May 2017 17:37:32 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    FC4 had boobies
    3 had tits too, and I'm not talking about the dudebro you play as and his mates.
    I clearly didn't get far enough through it...
  • beastmaster 17 May 2017 17:57:39 20,909 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    2 was the best one. There, I said it!
  • TheDuskwalker 17 May 2017 18:10:20 53 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There is drugs in the cave with your friends in FC3. Taking them lets you play through prologue events taking place in a club with boobies. :-P

Anyway, since Far Cry is one of my favorite Ubi games (Far Cry 4 actually being the last Ubisoft game I bought I think, been debating Watch Dogs 2 when it's on sale), I hope for the best and they do something to spice it up a bit unlike FC4, but I'm expecting yet another generic Ubisoft by the numbers open world with characters so unlikable you root for the villians. Watching a friend play Ghost Recon Wildlands made it actually look like Ubi are going backwards.

Although if they made a Blood Dragon 2 I would probably buy that regardless of how samey it is.

So hopefully it's something new, because there'd be no point in producing yet another copy/paste job. Especially given the strong rumours of a FC3 remaster.
    Better include FC3 Blood Dragon with it if they do, or else!
  • Pumpatron 17 May 2017 19:08:45 491 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd like to see FC5 take a few ideas from FC2. I loved the minimal HUD and how the map worked, there was a real effort to immerse you in the world in 2 that I missed in later games.
  • Rodderz 17 May 2017 19:54:39 4,167 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    KinkyBoot wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    2 was the best one. There, I said it!
    I'm with you on that one. It truly felt like you had been stranded in the middle of nowhere and had to survive by yourself.

Weapon breaking was a pain in the ass though. It was like Breath of The Wild before Breath of The Wild.
    Wasn't the character in FC2 also suffering with malaria throughout the game or am I thinking of something entirely different :)? It's been a while...
  • DUFFMAN5 17 May 2017 19:59:55 26,034 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rodderz
    he/you were :)
  • Rodderz 17 May 2017 20:54:12 4,167 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ^thanks for the clarification Duff and Kinky :)

I wasn't sure if it was a different game I'd played with that mechanic! I do at least remember enjoying FC2, even with those infamous re-spawning checkpoints!
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 17 May 2017 21:10:03 359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The respawning was awful, had to give up because of it. Was like Project IGI but with better graphics.
  • barchetta 17 May 2017 22:58:54 2,519 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Did anyone try it on PC with respawning modded out? I only played FC2 on PS3 near launch and got thoroughly cheesed off with those checkpoints. Now I'm using the more open platform it may be time to revisit FC2.
  • Zippity-zap 18 May 2017 02:44:29 555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.