Following Far Cry 5 Page 2

• Deleted user 19 May 2017 11:30:44
    Zippity-zap wrote:

I hope FC5 is not too similar to 3 and 4, which I found competent, yet forgettable.
    I too hope they move on from the current formula of highlighting how badass and psychologically unbalanced the Boss is. It surely worked on Far Cry 3 but i can't say the same for Far Cry 4. The whole game felt forced and uninspired to me. On the other hand Primal felt right and definitely a step up from 4.
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2017 11:40:34 22,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've said it too many times, but FC2 is a masterpiece. Even the respawning checkpoints I didn't mind (you're basically supposed to avoid them anyway, so why would you tramp through them more than once?). You're in a hostile environment, and the game goes to extra lengths to remind you of that.

The ones since then have been good games, but good in the sense that they're polished and not actively off-putting. Just kind of... adequate. I probably enjoyed Primal the most out of them, but the expected Ubisoft icon-gasm affects even that one. I expect FC5 will be much the same, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:41:34 19-05-2017
  • SomaticSense 19 May 2017 11:42:09 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I dunno. The villians of 3 & 4 were by far the best things about those games.

Take Min away from 4 and you are left with a vacuous icon hunt made from beige cardboard. The series may as well not exist at that point. He was the only worthwhile feature of that game.

If they ditched the wacky villians but persist with copying the rote Ubi design document, then I'm definitely out.

Edited by SomaticSense at 11:44:28 19-05-2017
  • Dgzter 19 May 2017 12:22:39 2,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SomaticSense

Yeah, this is the same for me. Tbh my interest in FC3 completely waned once Vaz was removed.
  • OllyJ 22 May 2017 16:09:08 4,652 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    @SomaticSense

Yeah, this is the same for me. Tbh my interest in FC3 completely waned once Vaz was removed.
    Which was almost instantly. Amazes me how much Vaas sticks in people's minds, he had a great intro but that was it until many hours later and they really gave him a terrible payoff. Does that really make a great villain? Honesty can't see how he was the best thing about FC3.

I thought the Outpost gameplay was the best thing, with the amount of different approaches you could take, I didn't tire of that at all.
  • Deleted user 24 May 2017 07:14:14
    OllyJ wrote:
    Dgzter wrote:
    @SomaticSense

Which was almost instantly. Amazes me how much Vaas sticks in people's minds, he had a great intro but that was it until many hours later and they really gave him a terrible payoff. Does that really make a great villain? Honesty can't see how he was the best thing about FC3.

I thought the Outpost gameplay was the best thing, with the amount of different approaches you could take, I didn't tire of that at all.
    The Timing was perfect for Vaa's death can't say more. The entire game felt fresh again and a new purpose and sense of advanture was restored. Had they stretched his dowfall a bit more we would have risked seeing more of the same from his character. Hoyt was just as crazy imo.
  • ChiefGB 24 May 2017 10:45:44 11,921 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't get all that far in 3 and 4 for that matter. Three came towards the end of 360 and was a bit ropy engine wise so got lost in my backlog. 4was very samey it looked spectacular but I didn't really have the time for it when it came out, probably destinys fault or something. In fact my backlog is thanks to what destiny started so god knows why I'm likely to do it all over again this year.
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2017 11:14:34 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Dgzter wrote:
    @SomaticSense

That's a fair point. I always forget how little he was actually in the game.

I think the reason people think of him as Mr Far Cry 3 is because he was pretty much the only element of memorable charisma and personality that game had. Your main character and his group were insufferable pricks. And as satisying as the gameplay loop was back then, looking back now it's hard to mentally seperate it from the myriad Ubi template games we've had since. Ergo, Vaas becomes the game's only real signature element.
  • Derblington 24 May 2017 11:16:09 32,392 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I like the setting for this one, it's a lot more grounded.
    PLEASE have made work on gameplay!
  • DUFFMAN5 24 May 2017 12:12:13 25,305 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Derblington
    Looking forward to see what they are showing on Friday.
  • ChiefGB 24 May 2017 12:29:14 11,921 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There always needs to be an exaggerated element to the far crys though. I guess the dude ringing the bell with the others head is a nod to that.
  • beastmaster 24 May 2017 13:11:25 19,780 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm sure not much will change. There will be crafting and skill trees etc.
  • Derblington 24 May 2017 13:16:53 32,392 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    There always needs to be an exaggerated element to the far crys though. I guess the dude ringing the bell with the others head is a nod to that.
    Not sure there *needs* to be - there wasn't in 2.
    They did it with Vaas in 3, which was cool, and then copied it for 4 because everyone liked it. I'd like them to pull it back for 5 again - working with religious nuts and hillbillies will be enough.
  • Moth_Pope 24 May 2017 13:20:45 17 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really enjoyed 3 but got completely drained by the end. I've skipped all the others since and seeing this made me realise I'd be ready for another one in the style of 3. I'd like to think they'd come up with something brand new, mind. I just don't think they will.
  • Moth_Pope 24 May 2017 13:21:07 17 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Derblington 24 May 2017 13:32:14 32,392 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just buy 4 then.
  • DangerousDave_87 24 May 2017 14:06:04 6,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd love this to be more in the vein of Far Cry 2. I loved the vulnerability. The fact your guns could jam and break in the heat of a battle, forcing you to improvise.
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2017 15:10:44 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Improvise using what? The guns didn't jam for more than 2-3 seconds, and iirc you were locked in the gun jam animation anyway so you couldn't do anything else even if you wanted to.

I loved FC2, it was my favourite one by a distance, but that was largely down to it's setting, emergent events, and gameplay structure. The gun jamming and malaria stuff were just a pointless annoyance that added nothing.

What I'd love to see is a return to what 2 did well. Ditching the hunting shit, tower climbing, icon clearing, skill trees, etc, and just focusing on having solid FPS gunplay, with lots of tools for emergent plotting (and accidental village burning...) in an awe-inspiring open-world setting. Basically a first person MGSV: Montana Edition.

Edited by SomaticSense at 15:17:57 24-05-2017
  • FrostPan 24 May 2017 18:37:04 1,626 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Love the cover. 5 stars baby indeed.

• Deleted user 24 May 2017 18:50:31
    FrostPan wrote:
    Love the cover. 5 stars baby indeed.

Is this some kind of a cult? Reminds me of the last supper.

Edited by young_nell at 18:51:00 24-05-2017
  • funkstar 24 May 2017 19:24:22 3,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The poses of the characters are pretty obviously based on the last supper, that would be why ;)
  • DangerousDave_87 24 May 2017 19:48:21 6,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SomaticSense I meant more in terms of having to mix up your gear on the fly as they would often break before clearing out any major areas. Much like in Zelda, it meant you had your own weapon choice, but soon you'd be grabbing the next available weapon and trying that out.

You could obviously buy and upgrade your own gear, but that was half the fun lost, in my opinion.
  • Deleted user 24 May 2017 19:51:39
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Improvise using what? The guns didn't jam for more than 2-3 seconds, and iirc you were locked in the gun jam animation anyway so you couldn't do anything else even if you wanted to.

I loved FC2, it was my favourite one by a distance, but that was largely down to it's setting, emergent events, and gameplay structure. The gun jamming and malaria stuff were just a pointless annoyance that added nothing.

What I'd love to see is a return to what 2 did well. Ditching the hunting shit, tower climbing, icon clearing, skill trees, etc, and just focusing on having solid FPS gunplay, with lots of tools for emergent plotting (and accidental village burning...) in an awe-inspiring open-world setting. Basically a first person MGSV: Montana Edition.
    Pretty much agree with all this. The crafting gets tedious and I hate all the usual ubisoft filler. Just give me lots of solid gunplay.
  • Aretak 24 May 2017 19:58:39 10,391 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    KinkyBoot wrote:
    Looks like it's based on a Jonestown style cult.

So Avoid the Kool-Aid power-ups.
    That'd be the sensible interpretation. Both the right wing and left wing nutters are claiming that they're a respresentation of Trump supporters though, and the game will be about fighting against them. Because if you don't force your political views into literally everything, you lose. Or something.
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2017 20:00:44 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @SomaticSense I meant more in terms of having to mix up your gear on the fly as they would often break before clearing out any major areas. Much like in Zelda, it meant you had your own weapon choice, but soon you'd be grabbing the next available weapon and trying that out.

You could obviously buy and upgrade your own gear, but that was half the fun lost, in my opinion.
    Your weapons didn't break though. They momentarily jammed for a few seconds. There was never a need to scavenge unless you totally ran out of ammo and the enemies had guns with ammo types you weren't already using.
  • TheDuskwalker 24 May 2017 20:08:55 53 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:

Agreed. Maybe not on MGSV, but the rest. FC2 is one of those games that did a lot of good, but what was disliked was so overshadowing that the devs then ignore all those things that people actually praised, like Tekken 4.
  • Derblington 24 May 2017 20:13:13 32,392 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It also looks like they've got the slightly weirdly psycho antagonist.

So, FarCry3 3 then.

Sigh.
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2017 20:22:58 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I'm getting that vibe too.

It's really unfair to judge it on a piece of art, but it's so similar to 3/4's promo art that it's easy to believe they are setting us up for more of the same. It's Ubi though, so it's kind of unsurprising.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.