Following Far Cry 5 Page 3

• funkstar 24 May 2017 20:24:04 3,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @SomaticSense I meant more in terms of having to mix up your gear on the fly as they would often break before clearing out any major areas. Much like in Zelda, it meant you had your own weapon choice, but soon you'd be grabbing the next available weapon and trying that out.

You could obviously buy and upgrade your own gear, but that was half the fun lost, in my opinion.
    Your weapons didn't break though. They momentarily jammed for a few seconds. There was never a need to scavenge unless you totally ran out of ammo and the enemies had guns with ammo types you weren't already using.
    i thought guns jammed more and more frequently until they stopped working and you had to pick up a new one in the field
  • SomaticSense 24 May 2017 20:31:07 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I might be misremembering then. I honestly don't recall ever having to permanently ditch a weapon.
  • Deleted user 24 May 2017 20:54:57
    Derblington wrote:
    It also looks like they've got the slightly weirdly psycho antagonist.

So, FarCry3 3 then.

Sigh.
    Definitely passing this one. I said on previous page i'd rather have them move on from the current formula but it seems ubisoft isn't taking that route. Sometimes I wonder how a company as big as ubisoft can't even come up with something new. What kind of people do they have working there anyway?

Editado por young_nell às 21:42:56 24-05-2017
  • funkstar 24 May 2017 21:13:22 3,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I might be misremembering then. I honestly don't recall ever having to permanently ditch a weapon.
    Bought weapons may have only jammed, thinking about it
  • DangerousDave_87 24 May 2017 21:40:32 6,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The guns you buy and upgrade could break, it's just if you ever went back to a hideout to change your gear, they would magically repair. It made it very unlikely you'd ever have the issue, but I preferred living of the enemies weapons, which were already quite rusted and would break far more often.
  • Derblington 24 May 2017 21:49:14 32,392 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    young_nell wrote:
    Sometimes I wonder how a company as big as ubisoft can't even come up with something new. What kind of people do they have working there anyway?
    To be fair to them, Ubi do more experimentation than any of the other big publishers. Child of light, Rayman Origins, Valiant Hearts, Grow Home, etc.

It'll be management that want them to repeat successes in order to secure profits. The individuals will typically all have wonderfully creative ideas that will, for the most part, never see the light of day. There's only so much freedom afforded to mega-budget, multi-studio AAA franchise sequels.
    The problem is that they've taken the same lessons and applied to every one of their major franchises, making them all seem too similar.
  • funkstar 24 May 2017 22:33:34 3,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    The guns you buy and upgrade could break, it's just if you ever went back to a hideout to change your gear, they would magically repair.
    Ah thats it
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 May 2017 23:14:53 12,202 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So this is going to be exactly the same as the last two numbered entries but in a new location?
  • funkstar 24 May 2017 23:52:59 3,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Probably, we'll find out more on friday
  • IronGiant 25 May 2017 00:13:27 5,994 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Horizon has more than fulfilled my desire to play an open world type of game.. another similar game is not on my list anytime soon.

WipEout is my next time sink :)
  • Humperfunk 25 May 2017 00:43:09 8,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never played the first two but Far Cry 3 and then a couple of years later with 4, played them over Christmas. Absolutely pumped for this, I assume no release date yet? Really would love it in time for Xmas this year!
  • spleendonkey 25 May 2017 08:25:02 280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    young_nell wrote:
    Sometimes I wonder how a company as big as ubisoft can't even come up with something new. What kind of people do they have working there anyway?
    To be fair to them, Ubi do more experimentation than any of the other big publishers. Child of light, Rayman Origins, Valiant Hearts, Grow Home, etc.

It'll be management that want them to repeat successes in order to secure profits. The individuals will typically all have wonderfully creative ideas that will, for the most part, never see the light of day. There's only so much freedom afforded to mega-budget, multi-studio AAA franchise sequels.
    The problem is that they've taken the same lessons and applied to every one of their major franchises, making them all seem too similar.
    Ubisoft absolutely do not experiment more than other publishers. Their template approach and design by committee is the biggest problem in games. They're the company holding everyone back because everyone is starting to adopt their awful but ultra safe model.

The games you mention have tiny dev and marketing budgets. There's no risk there. EA for all the hate are a much better company overall, and experiment more.

I really wish Ubisoft would just disappear, if everyone managed to get a job somewhere else. They're the only company I actively boycott.
  • Derblington 25 May 2017 08:32:46 32,392 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didn't say anything about risk, though there is some associated with those games. I imagine they're more for keeping the staff feeling creatively happy.

About 10 years ago EA pushed for new, different games - DeadSpace, Mirrors Edge, Fuse - but then they killed them all off, either because they didn't sell or because they tanked them with rushed and poorly-focused sequels.

Now? They buy in the EA Originals stuff, like Unravel. It's only really Garden Warfare that stands out to me in their portfolio as being particularly unique.
  • Billy-Daniels 25 May 2017 11:22:15 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I've said it too many times, but FC2 is a masterpiece. Even the respawning checkpoints I didn't mind (you're basically supposed to avoid them anyway, so why would you tramp through them more than once?). You're in a hostile environment, and the game goes to extra lengths to remind you of that.

The ones since then have been good games, but good in the sense that they're polished and not actively off-putting. Just kind of... adequate. I probably enjoyed Primal the most out of them, but the expected Ubisoft icon-gasm affects even that one. I expect FC5 will be much the same, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.
    There's not many of us Mola but I agree that FC2 was a fantastic game. I enjoyed FC3 as well but the dudebro aspect was a little tiresome, think I completed FC4 but I didn't really enjoy it as much as the other 2. Primal on the other hand was awesome, if you're one of those people that avoided Primal after being disappointed by FC3 and FC4 then you should probably reconsider. Should be able to pick it up for peanuts now as well.

I'm liking the idea of this Montana setting, hopefully they're taking it in a slighltly more realistic direction after the elephant riding and wing-suiting of the previous games. Something closer to the the tone of FC2 would be welcome but judging by the majority of comments it's probably wishful thinking.
  • Alastair 25 May 2017 11:26:31 24,120 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    So this is going to be exactly the same as the last two numbered entries but in a new location?
    *Exactly* the same.
    Hopefully including a bird that tells you to stop looking at her tits.
  • spleendonkey 25 May 2017 13:40:11 280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I didn't say anything about risk, though there is some associated with those games. I imagine they're more for keeping the staff feeling creatively happy.

About 10 years ago EA pushed for new, different games - DeadSpace, Mirrors Edge, Fuse - but then they killed them all off, either because they didn't sell or because they tanked them with rushed and poorly-focused sequels.

Now? They buy in the EA Originals stuff, like Unravel. It's only really Garden Warfare that stands out to me in their portfolio as being particularly unique.
    Having a look at EA's list of games for 2016/2017 I am genuinely surprised by how few games they've released actually.

It looks like you are right, in 2016 they released Plants vs Zombies, a revamp of Mirror's Edge (a game that flopped when first released so was a risky proposition, which flopped again), Titanfall 2, which is a AAA game but I would say one that has some element of risk in an over-saturated market (also flopped), and Unravel. This year they have sea of solitude. So I guess I have a lot of goodwill from their previous years where they did take more risk.

I don't know what it is about Ubisoft which brings out in me some kind of visceral reaction. Their games somehow manage to be both ultra bland, ultra obnoxious and borderline offensive all at the same time. They are everything wrong with games in one package.
  • Rodimus-Prime 26 May 2017 09:57:32 361 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For all the criticism Ubisoft get for using the same open-world collectaphon formula over and over, it's easy to overlook the fact that they've created sme really memorable antagonist characters.

Vaas and Pagan Min were both fantastic, and what's more is that you knew they would be just from the cover art and reveal trailer. Whoever is designing these guys at Ubisoft is doing a great job.

I'm quite excited for the in-game codex. Far Cry 3's was presented as a crackpot CIA operative's field guide, Far Cry 4's was presented as a propaganda leaflet (i'll always remember the entry for the ox: like our beloved ruler Pagan Min, the ox is a symbol of working tirelessly for the people).

Considering the theme in this one, there is a lot of scope to do something just as memorable in Far Cry 5.

Like a lot of others i really enjoyed Far Cry 2, but it's a bit like the Saints Row series i guess. The second entry was relatively understated and a lot more gritty, but they scrapped that approach in the third game and went all out with the over-the-topness.

I like both approaches so i'm not too unhappy with what Far Cry has become, but i do share some of the disappointment.
  • spleendonkey 26 May 2017 13:33:23 280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rodimus-Prime

My problem with the baddies (in all Ubisoft games) is that they are designed by marketing committee ("what's hot right now to our target audience?" Deadmaus! Hackers! Gamer culture! Conspiracy theories! Etc), but are offensive, crass (often racist) stereotypes. But then, Ubisoft go so overboard with the characters to try and disassociate the with reality so as not to offend anyone. It's the worst of both worlds.

Far Cry is largely the worst offender.

Pagan Min: plays up to the worst historical tropes of Western protrayal of Asians as sinister & effeminate. More broadly the way they portray the factions you can align with is racist and ripped out of history with no subtext (why did Far Cry 4 get a free pass for it's racism when 3 didn't?).

All of Far Cry 3 (and baddies): the tribes, the magical negro tropes, Vaas plays into the racist portrayal of Latin Americans being unhinged, crazy drug addicts. But the worst element of Far Cry 3 is the portrayal of the gay villain who is a rapist. It's genuinely disgusting.

The villains are effective because they feed into established fears portrayed in art for decades. That's the problem.

I played AS: Rogue 6 months ago and actually the way they portrayed the Lisbon earthquake - a real life event that was hugely traumatic and effected the whole of European culture, philosophy and art for decades - was insulting and offensive...and that's an event that happened hundreds of years ago!

I know exactly how they are going to portray Christian fundamentalism in the upcoming game and it depresses me. I grew up in a dangerously indoctrinated American-based fundamentalist value system and even went to churches in areas like that as a child. There's a genuinely interesting and nuanced approach to take to all of this, but they will be reduced to offensive caricatures of "what's hot right now". Trump! Rust belt! Blind religious devotion! Moonshine! Laughing at white trash! Wacky!
  • Rodney 26 May 2017 13:50:13 4,096 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought Vaas was French?
  • Derblington 26 May 2017 14:02:57 32,392 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He's not Latin American. The Rakyat are all mixed-race but they're generally based on Indonesian/Malaysian groups.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 May 2017 14:12:12 22,599 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looking good to me. Hopefully they change the gameplay loop a bit this time though.

• spleendonkey 26 May 2017 14:18:36 280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    He's not Latin American. The Rakyat are all mixed-race but they're generally based on Indonesian/Malaysian groups.
    Ah - well if that's the case then it feeds into the same stereotype, which is rife about South East Asia, and has been a huge part of how Western culture has portrayed that area since it tried to colonise it. It's still a racist stereotype.
  • Derblington 26 May 2017 14:23:41 32,392 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The whole point is the satire/caricature, with a little of Ubi's own brand of crazy.
    5 very much looks to play into the pop culture of the deep south USA too.

Lazy, maybe. Entertaining, mostly.
  • Alastair 26 May 2017 14:27:48 24,120 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Looking good to me. Hopefully they change the gameplay loop a bit this time though.

I'm less confident that there will be a bird telling you to stop looking at her tits.

Still, looks good. Like the theme. And I can't wait to switch on all the icons on the map and fly around in a helicopter, collecting everything. What's not to like.
  • spleendonkey 26 May 2017 14:30:40 280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Derblington Lazy - definitely. Entertaining - definitely not. Cliche and done a thousand times before, with nothing to add is more accurate. It's just aping bad action film tropes, but somehow making them worse. At least ape the good action tropes.

I actually think games have been making huge progress in story terms the last couple years, in being entertaining, in being satirical, in making interesting points on pop culture, society or whatever...despite Ubisoft's attempts to the contrary.
  • Derblington 26 May 2017 14:35:01 32,392 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You really seem to hate them/everything Ubi.

They do make entertaining games.
  • SomaticSense 26 May 2017 14:44:28 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't get Spleen's rant-filled hatred of them either, but entertainment is subjective.

For example, FC4 didn't entertain me much at all. Every time I fired it up I felt bored a few minutes in.

Edited by SomaticSense at 14:46:17 26-05-2017
  • spleendonkey 26 May 2017 15:10:47 280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    You really seem to hate them/everything Ubi.

They do make entertaining games.
    Yeah my hatred has totally become borderline irrational, but I really can't think of an entertaining game of theirs I've played since the sailing parts of Black Flag.

It's a shame because Sands of Time is a genuine bonafide classic, as are some of their Splinter Cell games, but they've become everything wrong with the industry.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.