The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Netflix produced prequel Page 2

• ChiefGB 31 Aug 2019 13:13:25 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is just soo good, spellbinding so far. Iím halfway through the second episode. Well acted (well Eddie izzard channelling billy Connolly is a bit of a shame as billy would have been perfect for that scene) but the puppetry is the best ever done and mixed very well with cg enhancements.

Henson company still seem to have IT after all.
  • RawShark 31 Aug 2019 18:22:27 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, itís really good. Apart from the added CGI it does a great job of feeling like the original. Iím really enjoying how theyíre fleshing out the characters that were only briefly in the original film.
  • ChiefGB 31 Aug 2019 19:18:05 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looks award winning from a production point of view.
  • teamHAM 31 Aug 2019 19:20:57 3,805 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just watched the first episode of this; absolutely fantastic. They've really stayed true to the original and it invoked some proper nostalgia in me.

Can't wait to watch the rest.
  • IronGiant 1 Sep 2019 00:11:11 5,944 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Enjoyed the first episode, theyíve really gone all in with this.. love the look and feel of the world and characters.
  • ChiefGB 1 Sep 2019 00:22:17 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The intro to the second episode is so beautifully done.
  • [maven] 1 Sep 2019 10:18:27 5,636 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It is surprisingly dark on occasion, but also merry.
  • wblastyn 4 Sep 2019 10:17:15 31 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never saw the movie because of the creepy puppets, but this show blew me away. Itís such a unique fantasy universe. The voice acting, visuals and soundtrack were all fantastic. I canít wait for season 2.
  • Zyrr 4 Sep 2019 10:27:15 395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The film was a favourite of mine as a kid, so I was a bit wary they were going to completely screw it up. I couldn't have been more wrong! I ended up watching the whole series over the weekend and absolutely loved it. So glad they've done Jim Henson's original vision justice.
  • drhickman1983 4 Sep 2019 10:41:23 6,040 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched it over the weekend with my dad. It's pretty good. Whilst I have vague recollection of the film I forgot more than I could remember, so I don't think knowledge of the film is required. It just works as a standalone series.

Whilst I expected it to look good (which it does) I was quite impressed by the writing and characterization. Just a lot of fun, genuinely tense at times. And the voice cast was incredible.

I pretty much stopped noticing that they were puppets most of the time too.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 10:47:16 20,717 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Strange to say it but the puppets are kind of ruining it a bit for me. The world building, music and general aesthetic are all brilliant but then you've got these weird little lifeless faces that keeps bringing me out of it. Then when they do the kermit the frog puppet walk thing it completely shatters the illusion.

I've only watched a small amount of it though so maybe you get used to it.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Sep 2019 10:54:15 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Finding it a bit darker than I like to be honest. Couple of moments have not been all that pleasant. The puppets do make it feel like I'm watching an over long version of Fraggle Rock at times.
  • drhickman1983 4 Sep 2019 11:22:11 6,040 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually think the puppets help me feel immersed, for a similar reason why I like old RPGs that suggest actions rather than explicitly show them - I use my imagination to fill the blanks.
  • Addy__ 4 Sep 2019 11:35:32 1,432 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Decks wrote:
    Strange to say it but the puppets are kind of ruining it a bit for me. The world building, music and general aesthetic are all brilliant but then you've got these weird little lifeless faces that keeps bringing me out of it. Then when they do the kermit the frog puppet walk thing it completely shatters the illusion.

I've only watched a small amount of it though so maybe you get used to it.
    This is my problem with it. I can't help but keep thinking they are puppets and like you it shatters the illusion. I had to turn it off half way through as I personally think it's shit. If I could get round that I'd probably enjoy it.
  • drhickman1983 4 Sep 2019 11:43:57 6,040 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I try to imagine it with human actors or full CGI it ends up looking much worse...
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 11:47:09 20,717 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe just a touch of CG on the faces of the elf things to give them a bit more expression would have worked. It's like they've all had a stroke.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 11:50:56 20,717 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I realise that's probably sacrilege to fans of the film (which I'm not sure I've ever actually watched)
  • Zyrr 4 Sep 2019 12:02:26 395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I see what you're all saying, but isn't the use of puppetry sort of the point? The original film was born from Henson wanting to push the limits of his craft into making an epic fantasy world, much darker than anything he'd been known for up to then, showcasing the puppetry techniques his company had developed over the previous decade.

If they were to have made the prequel series with CG (or even just used live action) it would have undermined the whole purpose Henson made the film in the first place. Yes, I agree that it really does look hokey at times, but I also think they did a phenomenal job capturing the spirit of the original.
  • ChiefGB 4 Sep 2019 12:10:04 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes for me the puppets are a massive point of this, itís the most spectacular muppets Iíve ever seen. Been a big fan of Henson stuff all my life (I thought all my age were?) in my mind theyíve done incredible work here. I get what some are saying but it doesnít bother me in the slightest as thatís all part and parcel of it all. Theyíve even made the cg animation a bit dodgy to stay faithful. Muppets have always had a little waddle and shuffle kind of action.

Beyond all of that itís just so rich, the voice acting is great, it is a proper show and none of it is halfassed. It could have been easy(ish) to cobble it together but they really havenít done that whatsoever, they deserve all the plaudits they can get and this help a henson resurgence with new ipís which Iím all for
  • Addy__ 4 Sep 2019 12:12:33 1,432 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Decks wrote:
    It's like they've all had a stroke.
    Glol. People are staring at me in our breakout area.
  • Gruff 4 Sep 2019 12:26:42 3,463 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    New Dark Crystal

Watched one and a half episodes and thought that would be it, didn't grab me, but stuck In my noggin a couple of days so I want back, glad I did. You can't help but admire the work that has gone into creating their vision.

One thing I can't stand though is the guttural noises, sighs, and filler sounds in dialog all the characters make, who thought that was a good idea? Cheapens the whole thing, I know it's not shakespeare but give your screenplay a chance. Are they taking this affectation from anime, only place I can recall seeing it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 12:59:01 20,717 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zyrr wrote:
    I see what you're all saying, but isn't the use of puppetry sort of the point? The original film was born from Henson wanting to push the limits of his craft into making an epic fantasy world, much darker than anything he'd been known for up to then, showcasing the puppetry techniques his company had developed over the previous decade.

If they were to have made the prequel series with CG (or even just used live action) it would have undermined the whole purpose Henson made the film in the first place. Yes, I agree that it really does look hokey at times, but I also think they did a phenomenal job capturing the spirit of the original.
    Yeah I get all that, juat pointing out that my brain is finding it difficult to ignore. I'm sure I'll get used to it, everything else is great.
  • Addy__ 4 Sep 2019 13:06:03 1,432 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah I get the love for it I really do. I just can't do puppets these days.
  • mothercruncher 4 Sep 2019 16:04:26 16,474 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jesus, just watched a bit with my daughter- are the puppeteers hands made out of Botox?
    Itís weird theyíve gone with such enormously limited facial movement, itís literally like theyíve drawn some eyes on their hands and are doing the talking too much hand gesture.
  • mrpon 4 Sep 2019 16:25:09 35,396 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
  • SnackPlissken 4 Sep 2019 16:26:12 1,141 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They've kept it true to the original rather than make something completely different. So if the original film wasn't your thing, then maybe this isn't either.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 16:45:31 20,717 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah it's the facial movements that bother me. The fact that everything around them has been updated and is state of the art makes it a bit more glaring. Surprised they didn't go with updated animatronics or something.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Sep 2019 16:49:24 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Gruff \useful to know you think it gets better after the first two episodes. I've seen the first two and that's it so far and I've been underwhelmed. Seems a bit all over the place.
  • askew 4 Sep 2019 21:56:07 19,770 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Skeksis are naughty, aren't they?
  • Gruff 4 Sep 2019 22:01:10 3,463 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished, overall worthwhile, agree with the dislike over the barely emotive puppets, at times they looked great other times, not so much. The more it went on the less it mattered, still, jarring at times. As a whole, time well invested

Ep 7 was great BTW, very meta.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.