The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Netflix produced prequel Page 3

Next Last
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 22:06:42 20,717 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like the little French guy who rescues her from the spider crab thing in Ep 2.
  • askew 4 Sep 2019 22:08:04 19,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hup (and spoon) is awesome!
  • Dougs 4 Sep 2019 22:11:15 90,230 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://mobile.twitter.com/netflix/status/1169342310343069696
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 22:15:39 20,717 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ha cool.

What's with all the OA nonces in the comments?
  • Dougs 5 Sep 2019 09:51:58 90,230 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I dunno, but I really want to watch it now.
  • oldskooldeano 7 Sep 2019 13:54:08 2,967 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I dunno, but I really want to watch it now.
    You really don't need to. It's faux religious shite.

The dark crystal on the other hand is great! High fantasy, kid friendly, muppet madness. Nostalgic for the older viewer and fresh for the new. It's silly but takes itself seriously. A good balance.
  • spindle9988 7 Sep 2019 17:16:24 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not sure if I'm reviewing this with a hint of nostalgia as I absolutely love the dark crystal film. I came into this almost worried as we had been promised more dark crystal for such a long time.

I can't believe how invested in this world I am, especially as they are all puppets. What a great series though. It is soooo magical

Edited by spindle9988 at 10:10:00 08-09-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Sep 2019 17:33:52 20,717 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah it's pretty great.
  • creepiest-lizard 7 Sep 2019 18:19:23 688 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is great. Wonderful, in fact. My kid seems to love it as well. I was a bit worried about how adult it might be for her but I remember watching the original at her age and I ended up (mostly) alright.
    I remember loads of family/kids things from the eighties that were pretty dark but I much prefer that to the sanitised shite that kids have to put up with these days..rant over.
    Oh, and on a side note The OA isn't "faux religious shite". Its fantastically weird, daring televison and, if anyting, anti-religious
  • RawShark 7 Sep 2019 18:53:12 728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I loved it. I hope thereís a few more series in the pipeline.

I read one review (from CNN) that compared dialogue to Jar Jar Binks... thatís so far off the mark I actually want to get on a plane, find the reviewer, and explain how dumb that is with the aid of the heaviest spoon I can find.
  • DanoFNG 9 Sep 2019 17:03:39 346 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd be a bit wary recommending it for kids actually. Spoilers from episode 10:

I've just witnessed the two characters who were kept as slaves and had their mouths sewn up get killed off. One was thrown into the fiery depths below and the other was beaten to death with a tool, admittedly off screen but there was blood splatter on the Scientists pet thing.

Bit grim that scene!
  • oldskooldeano 9 Sep 2019 17:42:42 2,967 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aha but they are only puppets, it don't count! On a side note after recognising Lena Headey as Madura Fara I dug a bit deeper into the cast. It's like roll call of who is the biz, in the biz. Some stellar names in there. Most of which I can't recognise when they do a silly skeksis voice but I guess it proves that acting talent does shine through.
  • DarmokJalad 9 Sep 2019 18:08:17 63,703 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wow, they did an amazing job. I'm about halfway through. To everyone that hates the mouth movements, just imagine that it's dubbed from Gelfing to English and don't look at their mouths.

I loved the Star Trek Discovery Reference! It was a cheeky little one when after the Skekis capture the castle guard and harvest them, one of the Skekis is taking a piss, first one stream, then two then three! Then proclaims "that's better" I'm certain that was a literal piss take out of the pissing klingon scene in Discovery
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Sep 2019 20:52:43 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DanoFNG Iíve not looked at the spoiler text as Iím only in episode 5, but I am getting a bit sick of the gross moments with the skeksis. I get that they are the baddies and theyíre not nice, but itís not a program to watch while youíre eating.

Shame it sounds like it continues as my wife is close to packing in with it for that reason.
  • askew 9 Sep 2019 20:55:47 19,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Aha but they are only puppets, it don't count! On a side note after recognising Lena Headey as Madura Fara I dug a bit deeper into the cast. It's like roll call of who is the biz, in the biz. Some stellar names in there. Most of which I can't recognise when they do a silly skeksis voice but I guess it proves that acting talent does shine through.
    It is a shame that Taron Egerton's voice delivery is as flat as his acting performances :/
  • JoeBlade 9 Sep 2019 21:37:04 4,464 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    askew wrote:
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    It is a shame that Taron Egerton's voice delivery is as flat as his acting performances :/
    Mark Hamill is great as always although it's a shame he sounds just a tad too much like the Joker he did in the Arkham games IMO.
    But also: Anya Taylor-Joy, Nathalie Emmanuel, Benedict Wong, Simon Pegg, Mark Strong, Jason Isaacs. Pretty impressive.
  • spindle9988 9 Sep 2019 21:47:30 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is just just such a good series. I wasn't sure how I would remember all the characters after seeing the 1st episode but they all end up being so memorable and different.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Sep 2019 22:38:51 7,716 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Watched the first episode and itís amazing how sad it made me feel.

I only watched the film a few weeks back but it must have had an effect on me because seeing the gelfling made me super upset (knowing what the end result was)
  • Beetroot_Bertie 10 Sep 2019 18:44:15 456 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've really enjoyed this. The original film has stuck with me from childhood but I never loved it (probably found it too dark, but the visual element certainly left a mark).

The "making of" film, also on Netflix, is worth a view and briefly shows an earlier test scene using a cgi Gelfling with a puppeted Skeksis which might be of interest to those mentioning the possibility of it earlier.
  • askew 10 Sep 2019 19:36:35 19,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I shall look to watch that as soon as I am done. Some shots of the characters are people dressed up as them, right?

Mother Augra in particular seems to be a person in wide shots.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 10 Sep 2019 20:11:46 456 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @askew The larger puppets have people inside them, if that's what you mean.

The making of doc is called "the crystal calls" and the work involved if pretty incredible. They touch on the cgi involved too.
  • ChiefGB 11 Sep 2019 00:36:20 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No early commission of a season 2 though I see, unless Iíve missed it.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.