Dead Cells

First Previous
  • mikew1985 26 May 2017 10:35:02 14,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started playing this on Wednesday evening, surprised there isn't a thread for it already. It's a PC only early access, rogue like Castlevania esque game (I'm avoiding using that other term).

It's fairly robust already and well worth the 15 odd quid it costs on Steam at the moment.
    Console versions possibly coming when it leaves early access which is planned to be a year from now. It would be an absolutely perfect match for the switch actually.

Anyway, it's pretty fantastic already, has a great look and controls superbly well already. Sort of like a smoother version of Rouge legacy.

Anyone else playing it yet?
  • funkstar 26 May 2017 10:45:32 3,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup just got the second rune yesterday as it happens. Fantastic game and incredibly polished for Early Access. I'm wary to keep playing though as it's only apparently 50-60% content complete, although I haven't even reached the first boss yet so probably got a way to go :)
  • mikew1985 26 May 2017 10:54:14 14,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just the one rune for me so far, keep making stupid errors and getting killed with tons of cells on me. It really is excellent so far, the range of weapons and skills is excellent. Love the electric whip too.

Also first time a flash bang has had a practical use in a video game?

Edited by mikew1985 at 10:55:18 26-05-2017
  • Midian 26 May 2017 10:57:02 99 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep - Loving it to bits

Really crunchy combat and solid platforming - I really didn't think a "Rogue-Like/Lite" Metroidvania would work at all - but it really does.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 May 2017 11:16:23 39,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It really is completely fantastic. It's like the complete antithesis of Shovel Knight, which I bought recently and detest from the bottom of my heart.
  • mikew1985 26 May 2017 11:58:58 14,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The animation is absolutely top notch as well, it looks so damn good in motion. I can't wait to finish up today and finish my half complete run from this morning.

Might even sit out in the garden with a beer and my laptop.

A real adventurer me.
  • Dgzter 26 May 2017 12:18:48 2,383 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not played it yet myself, but did watch a few Twitch streamers play through the available content: it does look really good.

Also, the soundtrack is totally boss.
  • INSOMANiAC 15 Jun 2017 03:16:16 4,478 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im a big fan if the game, I've yet to beat the first boss but have played it quite a bit and looking forward to seeing a wider variety of enemies. Got my cynical mate onto it and he's a big fan too
  • Dizzy 15 Jun 2017 06:24:13 3,664 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This is my Goty atm.
  • heavy_salad 15 Jun 2017 09:06:21 1,157 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got this the other day. It's absolutely fantastic. Love the art style, and the way it plays. Only problem is I'm terrible at it, as I usually am with these sorts of games :(
  • Skirlasvoud 15 Jun 2017 09:09:45 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still need to finish Hyperlight Drifter. I've only got room for one good looking pixel adventure at a time.

Hopefully it'll be out of early access by then.
  • Phattso 5 Jul 2018 16:48:57 23,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was sure there was a more recently active version of this thread, but I guess I was lucky to find one at all given the state of search. Anyways...

Decided to have a cheeky two hour 'trial' of this on Steam today. It feels excellent to play but... is that it? Run the dungeons, collect the cells, level up, rinse, repeat? There's nothing wrong with that - and what's there is very compelling - but actually I'm not in the market for something that overtly arcadey right now.

Is the grind-loot-secrets-upgrade cycle good? Do the earlier areas become boring cakewalks? Are there shortcuts to later levels? Is there a meta system that's yet to reveal itself?

Only made it to Ramparts so far, mind you, in three or four runs so clearly I haven't seen much... just enough to suggest it's not what I want right now.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Jul 2018 10:15:03 5,940 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah it's mostly that. Meta seems to change with updates in what to pick as upgrades while playing. There a few paths through with secrets and I think there are difficulty modifiers via boss cells.

8.66 on voidu at the moment.
    Use code SUMMER18 for possibly another 18% off... terms not 100% clear

Edited by crashVoodoo at 10:18:09 06-07-2018
  • Phattso 6 Jul 2018 10:47:04 23,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cool, cheers for that. I think I've been somewhat ruined by the depth of Darkest Dungeon and Hollow Knight. In my mind Dead Cells was that but with amazing traversal and visceral combat. Instead it's just a really awesome version of Rolling Thunder with fisticuffs and RogueSoulsEasterndersLike for the yoots. ;)
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Jul 2018 10:50:59 39,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am not sure it lacks "depth" compared to Hollow Knight, it just comes without all the annoying bits, and with significantly better combat. :p

Edited by UncleLou at 10:51:21 06-07-2018
  • Phattso 6 Jul 2018 10:58:46 23,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heh. I'm using the word "depth" to convey a lot of things there. Atmosphere, intrigue, exploration. Maybe it's just the fact that it's not sombre as fuck - the two games I name-checked might've awoken my inner goth.

Dead Cells appears to have systemic 'depth' inasmuch as it has the RPG elements, but its world is otherwise a little throwaway and shallow. Every level feels like a Rift in Diablo 3 rather than bespoke worlds.

Jesus, I sound like I don't like it. That's not the case, I really enjoyed the short time I've spent with it, and I can already feel it starting to get its loot whoring hooks into me. I just know that the lifespan of that style of game is gonna be limited for me right now. I'll sink five or ten hours into it and then drift away. One to save for the winter maybe, or when I'm not artificially limited to ten games. :)
  • GarlVinland 6 Jul 2018 12:02:10 3,561 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Full release on August 17th. My most anticipated title for Switch right now.

It's 100% a roguelite, just with really great combat. The fun comes from earning loot and seeing how each randomised run pans out rather than a handmade experience like Hollow Knight. I happen to be an even bigger fan of roguelites than Metroidvanias so I don't mind that the experience is a little shallow, but it's probably an accusation that can be leveled at any game in that subgenre. Except Spelunky. That game is flawless.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Jul 2018 12:06:30 4,562 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does it have the same level of depth and secrets such as games like Spelunky and BoI?
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Jul 2018 12:45:57 39,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rhaegyr I am not an expert when it comes to Spelunky, but surely its not anywhere near BoI, is it? Neither is Dead Cells, far from it! The moment to moment gameplay in Dead Cells is what makes it so fantastic though. Movement, combat, different weapons, its all just spot on.
  • yegon 6 Jul 2018 13:11:01 6,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ive equal regard for BoI and Spelunky.

What BoI has over Spelunky is longevity. Its incredible that I still play BoI after all these years, so much content.

I played Spelunky virtually every day for 18 months at one point, the Daily Challenge. Incredible depth (excuse the pun) and moment to moment, in my mind, its the greatest adventure Ive ever played. How runs pan out differently, and often hilariously, with ostensibly the same tools and mixed up content is unmatched, even by BoI. Equally, achieving what previously seemed unachievable, and then the same task seeming easy while you move to your next target/milestone - it's an experience I've never had before or since, genuine skill and knowledge that grows and can be applied over time. The reason I stopped playing is that Id eventually done everything, multiple times over. All endings, secrets, 1m+ score. Once Id achieved every milestone, many times over, Id exhausted it.

BoI, with its multiple updates, has kept it fresh and brilliant. Id guess about 1000 hours put into it across multiple platforms. Whereas Spelunky probably in the region of only 250-300.

I absolutely love Dead Cells, but it doesn't even come close to either BoI or Spelunky. Not to denigrate Dead Cells, it's magnificent, just that nothing comes close to BoI or Spelunky in this space for me.

Edited by yegon at 13:31:48 06-07-2018
  • ChiefGB 6 Jul 2018 13:56:02 9,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been looking at this recently but it feels like a "small screen" game too me. I look at in in switch and it's like 30 or so am I'm like f that, so I've not grabbed it just yet but clearly pc is where the value for money is atm.
  • monkman76 6 Jul 2018 13:57:40 13,395 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not out yet for Switch. How do you know it will be 30 or so?

Hollow Knight just came out on Switch for 11, so I'm hoping for much closer to that.
  • Phattso 6 Jul 2018 14:01:42 23,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:

Hollow Knight just came out on Switch for 11, so I'm hoping for much closer to that.
    Amazon and others have had the physical release up for 30 for ages now, so that's probably the RRP there for sure. Digital may/should be less, but we'll see how that goes.

The RRP is 17 or so on PC, although it's around a tenner on sale right now. So it ain't gonna be Hollow Knight cheap methinks.
  • monkman76 6 Jul 2018 14:05:17 13,395 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guessed as much. For some reason if these indie games get a physical release, it's priced way higher than the digital version. Rocket League I think is one example. So I'd still hope for sub-20 for this.
  • Phattso 6 Jul 2018 14:09:22 23,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's the fairly well-documented Nintendo Cart Tax at play here, so the physical being higher is no surprise. Price-matching the PC version is likely, I agree. Perhaps with a 10% launch sale.
  • Blackmarsh63 6 Jul 2018 14:19:35 1,801 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:

Amazon and others have had the physical release up for 30 for ages now, so that's probably the RRP there for sure. Digital may/should be less, but we'll see how that goes.

The RRP is 17 or so on PC, although it's around a tenner on sale right now. So it ain't gonna be Hollow Knight cheap methinks.
    It's 22 quid on PC and it's still in early access so 30 might not be that far off.
  • Phattso 6 Jul 2018 15:01:19 23,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    It's 22 quid on PC and it's still in early access so 30 might not be that far off.
    Oh, wow, so it is!

Even though I'm going to refund it, I'm glad I only paid a tenner for it. ;)
  • crashVoodoo 6 Jul 2018 15:11:23 5,940 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not worth 22 notes I don't think.

It's worth a tenner

Edited by crashVoodoo at 15:26:26 06-07-2018
  • Phattso 6 Jul 2018 15:31:09 23,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well, there's the whole "what does value mean to different people" question but, yeah, compared to other games one might get that does seem a touch pricey. But then I paid 27 for Darkest Dungeon and that's 6 on the Steam Sale so what do I know? :)
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.