Dead Cells Page 3

• ChiefGB 12 Jul 2018 17:09:33 9,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Annnddd the deals gone :( missed it again.
  • ChiefGB 7 Aug 2018 16:15:05 9,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rather lovely this, eh
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Aug 2018 16:15:27 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    \o/
  • senso-ji 7 Aug 2018 16:21:37 8,951 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IGN copied their video review from a random Youtuber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKF6xnvaCsE
  • Frogofdoom 7 Aug 2018 17:09:34 10,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is great, much prefer it to hollow knight. Haven't got very far yet though as I'm a bit shit at it, having good traps seems to help loads though.
  • Tuffty 7 Aug 2018 19:11:39 4,245 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:

They've since pulled the review down as they investigate it. If it doesn't come back up then you can only assume the worst. Don't think many people would argue if the reviewer got a heavy punishment out of it. For him to think he could lift the review from a YouTuber, often word for word, and get away from it is naive at best, buck stupid at worst. Doesn't mean IGN is all unprofessional, it is one reviewer after all, but its a shame a lot of people see it as the case and other people's names are also being dragged through the mud for the sake of internet drama. So tired of it.

Only got a brief time with it last night, but it looks and feels nice. Gonna throw it on now and play plenty more!
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Aug 2018 20:07:07 773 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My god. This game is amazing.

I've been getting frustrated with Hollow Knight. Great game, but I'm constantly getting lost. No such issue here. And it's got so many juicy upgrades! The controls are so good!

Jackpot.
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Aug 2018 20:08:47 773 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bloody love the aesthetic, too. Playing a parasite which crawls back to reanimate a new dead body after you get killed? Inspired.
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2018 20:55:07 31,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:

They've since pulled the review down as they investigate it. If it doesn't come back up then you can only assume the worst. Don't think many people would argue if the reviewer got a heavy punishment out of it. For him to think he could lift the review from a YouTuber, often word for word, and get away from it is naive at best, buck stupid at worst. Doesn't mean IGN is all unprofessional, it is one reviewer after all, but its a shame a lot of people see it as the case and other people's names are also being dragged through the mud for the sake of internet drama. So tired of it.

Only got a brief time with it last night, but it looks and feels nice. Gonna throw it on now and play plenty more!
    It's the 2nd recent thing that IGN have had trouble with, though I'm unaware of the first. It's not this isolated incident anyway.

And the reviewer isn't going to get a slap on the wrist at the end of this, its likely his games journo career will be done. The industry is pretty small. He could go back to YT (he was a no-name YTer that got recognised for decent Nintendo reviews and then broke into the industry. This was his first review and self-editing job, from what I've gathered) or start his own indie site though.

Pretty fucking stupid thing to do.
  • ChiefGB 7 Aug 2018 21:16:33 9,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah he's been there like 6 months I think and heads up their nintendo podcast. But I Can't see him making it out of this the way it's blown up.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2018 21:18:37
    Pretty sweet game. Instant gratification. Me likes.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Aug 2018 21:22:14 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Lol canít beat the first boss

I can get to him regularly now and can get him down to 20% health but then he goes nuts and I am dead

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 21:33:18 07-08-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Aug 2018 21:36:24 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    And the game has bugged for me :(
  • monkman76 7 Aug 2018 21:40:28 13,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's great. But I suck at it. :( Hate getting old.
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Aug 2018 21:45:16 773 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Love that the game rewards aggression, if you want. And speed. Superb. You can really attack it.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Aug 2018 06:43:29 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Managed to get past the first boss twice in a row now :). Turns out if you pick up all the scrolls and select the highest health percentage you can almost brute force your way through him.

I turned it off at the clock tower with nearl 5k health :) I am running with the infentery bow 4 and electric wihip -gold version and they are melting enemies :)

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 06:43:43 08-08-2018
  • Daeltaja 8 Aug 2018 09:31:59 1,693 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played around 2hrs or so. Nearly got the first boss down a few times, think I just need the right combo of weapons for him. Super game so far, very satisfying feel to the combat and movement and I'm actually really intrigued to know more about the world.

Few games manage to hold my attention these days but all I can think about is playing more.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Aug 2018 09:37:37 39,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:

I turned it off at the clock tower with nearl 5k health :) I am running with the infentery bow 4 and electric wihip -gold version and they are melting enemies :)
    The whip triples the damage you take, though, no? All I can say is, don't fall into spikes. :p
  • Deleted user 8 August 2018 09:59:42
    Made it as far as the village on stilts and got murderised, dropped a rare blueprint as well.

I love the progression systems in roguelites, even with permadeath you feel like you're making progress, and this game does it better than most. Also helps that the combat feels so good.

Between this, Hollow Knight and Gungeon it's 100% Metroidvania/roguelite for me for the foreseeable future.
  • ChiefGB 8 Aug 2018 10:47:22 9,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've seen the first boss once in 10 games, got him to about 20% health. Well I assume "the concierge?" Is the first boss but I imagine it depends which way you go?
  • Deleted user 8 August 2018 11:02:20
    There are only 2 ways that I could see, the promenade that eventually leads to the concierge, or the toxic sewers. The latter was quite challenging for a second zone.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Aug 2018 11:24:13 39,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You can't even reach the toxic sewers though unless you've beaten the first boss, so ChiefGB must have beaten him without even noticing. :)
  • Frogofdoom 8 Aug 2018 11:34:54 10,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes you can, I went there several times before meeting him.
  • Derblington 8 Aug 2018 11:44:48 31,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    IGN reviewer has been fired and IGN will re-review the game.
  • monkman76 8 Aug 2018 11:59:16 13,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I've been to the toxic sewers and I haven't even seen the first boss. You just have to beat the elite archer.
  • OnlyJoeKing 8 Aug 2018 12:18:39 773 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's like a super deluxe version of Rogue Legacy, with more depth, better visuals and oh my god I love it.

I'm starting a new game tonight. Read the Dead Cells guide on here which was actually quite useful, and he's right about not buying the shit weapons because they'll dilute your pool. The "Spartaaaaaa" kick is fun in theory but it's a bit crap in practice. Not a huge fan of the broadsword either, too slow.

Will probably keep the first save to mess about with different weapons, if you can.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Aug 2018 12:56:46 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So... i need to stop taking breaks mid run...

I had gotten to the clock tower last night for the first time. Went to bed with my guy there. Carried on at lunch and got destroyed 3 minutes in lol.
  • wobbly_Bob 8 Aug 2018 12:59:56 4,756 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    It's like a super deluxe version of Rogue Legacy, with more depth, better visuals and oh my god I love it.

I'm starting a new game tonight. Read the Dead Cells guide on here which was actually quite useful, and he's right about not buying the shit weapons because they'll dilute your pool. The "Spartaaaaaa" kick is fun in theory but it's a bit crap in practice. Not a huge fan of the broadsword either, too slow.

Will probably keep the first save to mess about with different weapons, if you can.
    SO SO SO tempted by this. It's all kinds of my thing. This is about as far down my alley as something can be which sounds like it should be a sentence from a carry on movie. Saying it's like Rogue Legacy but better isn't helping. I resisted buying it this morning but only just... must... hold... out...
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Aug 2018 13:06:04 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @wobbly_Bob it is a run based game but unlike Rogue Legacy less about exploration than combat.

It is fantastic fun messing around with different combinations of weapons to create the perfect killing machine on each run :)
  • AaronTurner 8 Aug 2018 13:18:28 10,189 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:

Oh dear, that sounds like Philip from the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.